Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wardrobe purchases
1  2  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 3:51 pm
I am curious about people's shopping habits. Thought of doing a poll but maybe it's insensitive to those who can't shop? WDYT?

Ideas:
What are your seasonal shopping habits?

I still fit into my Sheva Brochos clothing & they are still in style/classic enough to keep wearing

I get hand-me-downs from rich relatives, shop in thrift/Deja New type places

My clothing are classic but I'll update with a couple of tops or accessories for Yom Tov

I buy one or two new outfits for Shabbos, weekday, dressy wear each season or year

I might get something new when there's a simchas coming up, otherwise I don't see the need

I keep promising myself there's no room in my closet, but every time I see a sale... (divided into sales unde $50, sales under $100, sales under $200...)

I buy a full wardrobe every season, I have to be up to date.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 4:17 pm
Sheva brachos was a loooong time ago.
I can fit into my earrings since then.
I do like new clothes but don't like to spend money. I don't wear the trendiest stuff, and by trendy I mean appropriate for middle aged women. I used to say that I might try wearing shorter skirts when I lose weight but guess what. I lost weight and still won't wear any hemline I can't sit down in covered easily, or that rides up if I stretch to reach something. So the dress trend has passed me by.

I like Deja Nu and visit it when in Lakewood. I also go to not Jewish resale stores. I'll even do thrift shops but am willing to pay a little more for a dressing room which you get at the for profit stores. Because I don't spend a lot per item, I probably buy way too much.

I wear shoes hard so will get shoes every few months if not more frequently.

yksraya

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 5:29 pm
I like having at least a few new outfits each season. I don't buy overpriced stuff tho. I like finding nice things for good prices.

I usually find nice stuff at tj max.com. I like that wtvr doesn't fit I can just return to local store. (unless description says it's not returnable in store).

I had luck finding nice skirts on amazon. And sometimes tops too, but make sure to check reviews, or buy a company you recognize.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 5:58 pm
I buy simple tops at walmart or thrift shop before a yom tov or simcha. Shoes only once a year.
Due to lack of means.

Lesia

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 7:07 pm
I shop whenever I feel like I want something new, especially around sales season.

Retail therapy is a real thing for me, and I’ll admit to spending too much money on clothes and shoes. I don’t buy very expensive items, just a lot of stuff because I enjoy having a variety.

Zehava

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 7:15 pm
I buy a couple Macy’s tops each season for weekday. They fit me better than the local stores, and the designs are nicer too.
Shopping for shabbos/YT clothes is a punishment for me. I hate the whole process especially since most things don’t look right on my figure. I have to stand in a tiny stall and push things over my shaitel messing it up while the baby is screaming outside.
So yeah I know I need something now but I’ve been to two stores and found nothing and contemplating just continuing to wear the good ole stuff from two years ago.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 7:38 pm
I don't buy such great quality clothing and I'm hard on them as a stay at home mom- I get dirty easily and often so end up having to replace. I also unfortunately have been getting heavier Sad though b"H for the babes that I can blame it on Smile so I need clothing in my bigger size. I usually shop from burlington or second hand stores... I buy shells...

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 7:45 pm
The past few years I've been buying last seasons frum clothing discounted about 50-70% off at the end of the season. Now Japparelny.com has beautiful things for $25. Deelcouture.com sometimes also has steep discounts. I forgot which others, but there are several. Most stuff is all year round fabric, and if it's the wrong season, I wear it a few times while it's still cold/hot and then put it away for the next season.

glamourmom

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 8:18 pm
T&Q, I'm checking out Japparel and it seems it's all girls styles. am I missing something?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 8:59 pm
t and p do you know what material their clothing is made from and what the washing instructions?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:02 pm
I am widow with financial struggles, and I have a daughter in shidduchim, so the shopping is almost always for her. At the same time, I have to look "decent." That matters to me. So I replace basic staples (good black wool skirt, etc.) as needed. I dress classically, so my clothes are not up to the minute, but they're not out of style either. I like good quality, so I often buy at used clothing websites like Tradesy, or way at the end of a season when things are very reduced. For example, right now I am looking for boots for next year.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:12 pm
I love shopping so I shop a lot. I always buy 4-6 new weekday dresses at the beginning of fall and spring. And 4-6 shabbos dresses as well. Ill buy a couple of shabbos robes every year or two. Shabbos shoes I can wear the same for years because I have tiny feet and very narrow heels so I need very specific styles. I’ll take the same shoes to the shoe maker a million times until they are dead. I also buy a lot of sweatshirts and tee shirts which I wear with pencil skirts and leggings in the winter, and long denim or tee shirt skirts in the summer. I’ll buy myself sneakers or slip on sneakers whenever I’m in the mood. I don’t ever really wear shoes except for shabbos.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:31 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I love shopping so I shop a lot. I always buy 4-6 new weekday dresses at the beginning of fall and spring. And 4-6 shabbos dresses as well. Ill buy a couple of shabbos robes every year or two. Shabbos shoes I can wear the same for years because I have tiny feet and very narrow heels so I need very specific styles. I’ll take the same shoes to the shoe maker a million times until they are dead. I also buy a lot of sweatshirts and tee shirts which I wear with pencil skirts and leggings in the winter, and long denim or tee shirt skirts in the summer. I’ll buy myself sneakers or slip on sneakers whenever I’m in the mood. I don’t ever really wear shoes except for shabbos.

Sorry for hijacking. Where do you find Long denim skirts?

Op: I buy from 1-3 shabbos tops a season, and about 2-5 weekday tops/dresses per season. In the summer I usually buy a maxi dress or two.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:32 pm
I bought some really good stuff at a Kmart in Michigan before moving to Monsey, thinking that it was the last time I would ever see a Kmart again and then I discovered the Kmart in Penn station.
Someone posted on the Chabad ladies WhatsApp group that Kupas Ezra thrift store is really well stocked at the moment.

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:39 pm
I love to shop, but I'm on a tight budget. My boys go through clothing like nobody's business. It seems that I almost never have a week go by when someone doesn't rip a hole in a knee of their pants or pour or paint something indelible on a shirt, so their stuff needs constant replacement. Plus, they grow like weeds! So most of my clothing budget is spent on them. I am a thrift store shopper and handmedown lover, so much of our clothing comes from second-hand stores and friends give-away boxes.

For myself, I shop in Deja New whenever I see something I like (a fantastic second-hand store in Lakewood!) and also start each year with a few 10-40 dollar t-shirt dresses from Amazon. I have two styles of loose, soft dresses that look good on me. They come in every color under the sun and are really comfortable; I wear them until they shred and then buy new ones. I wear them with leggings and boots in the winter, sandals in the summer. For shabbos, for the past few years, I've bought one new summer shabbos dress, one new winter shabbos dress per year, so at this point, I have a nice collection for every weather. I can't say anything I own is particularly in style, but it's all my style, and I really love my shabbos wardrobe. Shoes... I can't remember the last time I got new ones. I'm desperately in need of new sneakers; I bought my old ones over five years ago, and they are absolutely worn through, so this will probably be my Pesach present!

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 9:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I bought some really good stuff at a Kmart in Michigan before moving to Monsey, thinking that it was the last time I would ever see a Kmart again and then I discovered the Kmart in Penn station.
Someone posted on the Chabad ladies WhatsApp group that Kupas Ezra thrift store is really well stocked at the moment.

Cool! Where is it located?

chatz

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:06 pm
I have no interest in fashion and have very limited patience for shopping. Plus, limited money. So I only buy to replace what's ready for the garbage. I probably wear the same styles I wore a teen.

To be honest, I'd rather buy a new book or a vacuum cleaner than a new wardrobe.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 10:45 pm
DVOM wrote:
Cool! Where is it located?

In Monsey, on Maple, near Refua, across from Hatzlacha

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 11:03 pm
yksraya wrote:
I like having at least a few new outfits each season. I don't buy overpriced stuff tho. I like finding nice things for good prices.

I usually find nice stuff at tj max.com. I like that wtvr doesn't fit I can just return to local store. (unless description says it's not returnable in store).

I had luck finding nice skirts on amazon. And sometimes tops too, but make sure to check reviews, or buy a company you recognize.

Post skirt links please Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:31 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Sorry for hijacking. Where do you find Long denim skirts?

Op: I buy from 1-3 shabbos tops a season, and about 2-5 weekday tops/dresses per season. In the summer I usually buy a maxi dress or two.

Fallon’s, fashion island. More like fake denim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics