Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Sharing wifi code
Previous  1  2

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
I understand we have a difference of opinion on this matter.

Obviously. If this is the poster that posted before, this is a baby with breathing issues. If someone is too enthralled in what is going on online, they may miss what is going on in the room.

Is this was someone elderly who might need help during the night toileting, I wouldn't care less what a nurse does. But I would want full attention on a baby which is what the nurse is being paid to do.

How times have we seen moms online with kids trying to get their attention?

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 12:26 pm
I let guests use my Wifi if they ask. Wifi has a limited range so I am quite sure that no one will be sitting outside my home in their car for the purpose of stealing my signal after they have gone.

I don't view computer/internet usage as any different than allowing a nurse/caretaker to read or watch television. Most people I know allow their nurses and babysitters to watch television unless they are needed for active hands on stuff. Obviously a baby sitter who is supposed to be interacting with toddlers and children who are awake is different than one who is there while children are sleeping.

I don't know the back story of this particular nurse but if a nurse is so negligent in their duties because they were on the internet, that would be the least of the issues I had with the nurse because a normal nurse/caretaker or even human being is not so distracted by browsing the internet/watching a move or reading a book/magazine that they shirk their responsibilities or are oblivious to them. I would assume that they could hear if the child woke up (for example) or would check in on them at necessary intervals - as appropriate.

ggdm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 12:35 pm
Re guest wifi. Some internet routers have that option. It is difficult to be specific without knowing exactly what you have. Google the name of your router and "guest wifi". But this is the general outline:
Log into your router (usually this is in your browser at some local IP e.g. at 192.168.178.1). There should be a menu item called something like Wifi, Wireless or Networks. This is the same place usually where you would configure your own network, e.g. to set a new wifi password. In there, there should be an option to "enable guest access" or something similar, where you can specify the name and password. That's it. Save the settings and try it.

I cannot tell you about the legal consequences if someone uses your Wifi for illegal stuff. But from the technical point of view these are some things that could happen when you have a bad person sharing your Wifi:
- that person has access to everything shared locally in that network, e.g. a printer, shared folders, a TV, a camera, ...
- she has it easier to hack or infect your computer with a virus, bcause the router has an additional layer of firewall between you and computers in the internet which is now removed for her
- if non-secured services such as remote desktop are running on your computer, someone could access your computer through them
- the person could access your router and if the access is with a sstandard password, she could change your internet settings (probably irrelevant)

Besides the last point, the above cannot happen when you have a separate guest Wifi. What can still happen is legal trouble and slowing down your connection, because you still only have one connection to the outside and if she is downloading GBs of data, there is nothing left for you.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 2:22 pm
Squishy wrote:
Obviously. If this is the poster that posted before, this is a baby with breathing issues. If someone is too enthralled in what is going on online, they may miss what is going on in the room.

Is this was someone elderly who might need help during the night toileting, I wouldn't care less what a nurse does. But I would want full attention on a baby which is what the nurse is being paid to do.

How times have we seen moms online with kids trying to get their attention?

I'm not interested in debating you on this.

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not interested in debating you on this.

That's wonderful. Why did you answer?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 2:36 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's wonderful. Why did you answer?

I shared my opinion regarding wifi use for a person providing nursing services in my house.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 2:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
Really? What if some pervert walks into Starbucks to nurse a cup of coffee while using their free wifi and accesses something shady. Is Starbucks liable? That doesn't sound right...

Starbucks has video cameras and webcams
There is a record of who is doing what
Read the legalese when you log in there next time
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette