Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Education help for adult-pre GED
1  2  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 2:52 pm
I have a Male adult relative who went thru a chassidish school and never graduated high school.
He tried GED prep classes online, but realized he is actually way behind high school level in math, and never learned any biology chemistry history etc.
Is there any sort of tutoring for an adult that is pre-GED either online or in the NYC/nj area?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 2:56 pm
Most community colleges have GED prep classes. Would he be OK going to school with mixed genders?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 3:02 pm
He looked into some but he is way before that.
He struggled even in elementary school so his math is like 5th grade level. Other subjects were never even learned (except for what he taught himself .)
Mixed classes are fine.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 3:05 pm
Community colleges also offer "rudimentary" subjects, for this very reason. New immigrants who need to catch up their education so that they can move on in life are often in these classes. Many come to the US with only a third or fourth grade education, and with hard work can go on to university. I'm sure he wouldn't be the only one in his situation.

He really needs to check it out, and see what is available.

It's very admirable that he's looking to push outside of his comfort zone, and learn so much at a later stage in his life. I hope he's getting all the positive reinforcement and support that he needs.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
He looked into some but he is way before that.
He struggled even in elementary school so his math is like 5th grade level. Other subjects were never even learned (except for what he taught himself .)
Mixed classes are fine.

My sons were in the same position. I used khanacademy.org to help them catch up. It has math at all levels - from kindergarten thru college, and chemistry, sciences, computer science, and history too.

You can set your own pace, you can redo a lesson as many times as you need it, and it offers practice questions too. On top of that - it's free too.

It really helped out my two sons. I had also gotten for them the practice books for the GED. They were able to check what was needed and coordinated the lessons online. They both B"H successfully passed the GED on their first try.

Sweet as Pie

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 4:13 pm
Touro college has ged prep classes I believe. At their Boro park location

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 4:21 pm
He tried Khan academy but was not able to make progress. He said he feels the teaching was good but there was not enough practicing to retain the info.

Other than Khan Academy is there another online system that is more teaching the skills and topics he is missing? He works full time so it's difficult to get to a specific college or school for classes.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
He tried Khan academy but was not able to make progress. He said he feels the teaching was good but there was not enough practicing to retain the info.

Other than Khan Academy is there another online system that is more teaching the skills and topics he is missing? He works full time so it's difficult to get to a specific college or school for classes.

Some colleges offer online courses, has he looked into that? And many community colleges offer nighttime & sunday classes to accommodate working people.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 4:34 pm
But if he's on grade school level how can he take these online college or community college courses?
He tried a GED prep test and it was way beyond his levels.

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 5:03 pm
He should take GED prep classes.
Where is he located?
Touro Boro Park offers free classes.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
But if he's on grade school level how can he take these online college or community college courses?
He tried a GED prep test and it was way beyond his levels.

They offer remedial classes to help students catch up. They ask the students to take an entrance exam, and based on their score, they recommend which courses to start off with.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 5:12 pm
He is in north nj.
Are the GED prep classes geared for someone on an elementary grade level? The ones he saw are all high school level.
He is not high school level (even though he learned English subjects thru grade 8, in reality the school was very low level so he's more like grade 4 or 5)

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:08 pm
Maybe he needs a private tutor to help him since it seems like group classes aren’t working for him.

If he is bright, it shouldn’t take him long to get to the point where group classes work.

This might sound crazy, but maybe he should try educational software that is geared to elementary school children at the appropriate grade levels. Especially for math, they have excellent programs which develop basic math skills.

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:18 pm
amother wrote:
He is in north nj.
Are the GED prep classes geared for someone on an elementary grade level? The ones he saw are all high school level.
He is not high school level (even though he learned English subjects thru grade 8, in reality the school was very low level so he's more like grade 4 or 5)

Yes.
I sat in on a couple and they were learning basic fractions etc..
They gear it towards whatever level the student is on.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:20 pm
Oooh amarante that's a good idea, do you know any good educational software?

I don't know any Male tutors where we live, might be awkward w a frum female tutor....

I wonder if remedial classes would be enough. It's a tough situation to be in.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:

I don't know any Male tutors where we live, might be awkward w a frum female tutor....

There are lots of educational programs around geared to help disadvantaged students, especially now with the influx of immigrants. The community college have a list of programs and options available in their community. You should speak to someone there, there is good chance they'll be able to direct you to the right place.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:26 pm
I think I read that the Boro Park Y offers such classes.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:29 pm
The formal name for what you’re seeking is Adult Basic Education (ABE), which might help in your search. I used to teach at a facility that offered these classes but it was in DC. Here’s the NJ resource list:

https://careerconnections.nj.g.....shtml

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:

Post something at the community college or contact the math department. You don’t need a professional tutor for what he needs. I am sure a male student would be delighted to earn some money. It sounds like he needs someone to do one on one explanations and drills.

I used to work for an educational software company but that was so long ago. I would maybe post a new thread on imamother asking for specific recommendations. Or go on amazon and read reviews. When I was in the field, the math stuff was especially fun because the kids felt like they were playing video games instead of doing boring drills

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 03 2019, 6:50 pm
My daughter took the GED prep classes at a Bergen Community College satellite. They are not geared for elementary school level. It's definitely assuming one has the basics. I don't know what to recommend. Maybe private tutoring to get him up to speed. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics