Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you put a turnip in your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3

juggling

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:36 am
cinnamon wrote:
Just googled גזר לבן the pictures look the same as שורש פטרוזליה. I don't think they have it in the regular supermarkets I only ever heard of שורש פטרוזליה.

Correct. You can't get parsnip in israel. At one point more than ten years ago they were being marketed here in some upscale shops, and they were calling the פרסניפ or something similar. You can get white carrots in some supermarkets, but they are not parsnips. And you can get parsley root in every supermarket, but they, too, are not parsnips.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:48 am
cinnamon wrote:
Just googled גזר לבן the pictures look the same as שורש פטרוזליה. I don't think they have it in the regular supermarkets I only ever heard of שורש פטרוזליה.

גזר לבן is the official name but it is usually just referred to as פרסניפ
It is hard to find. AFAIK it's cultivated in one or two kibbutzim and probably sold only in more upscale markets.
שורש פטרוזיליה is what people commonly use in their chicken soup here.
I use it too- wouldn't make soup w/o it in fact.
As far as turnip goes - I use it but it's a recent addition for me. I've started substituting turnip instead of kholrabi. I like it better - it has less of a 'cabbagy' flavor and is easier to peel.
Other veggies that I use are: zucchini, onion, leek (when available), garlic, celery, carrots and sometimes sweet potato. The soup greens that I use are: celery leaves and parsley and occasionally dill. I also use bay leaf, black peppercorns, and whole allspice berries. Sometimes a small piece of ginger. I put the greens and seasonings in an infuser that's like a huge tea ball, and discard them when the soup is done cooking.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:19 pm
Quote:
I did a bit of googling, and found many sources saying that parsnip should be
גזר לבן

Makes sense because DS (who spent a couple of yrs in EY) insists on calling it a white carrot.

Zeleze

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 7:41 am
Gives it a very nice taste

Always use it

shirasingsalot

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:05 am
I like to switch around my veggies every time I make it, but turnip is definitely one of our family's favorites. I don't think it is very strong that it would make the soup taste bad though.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note