Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What would you have in the house to feed guests this Shabbos

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:04 am
I am housing 3 bochurim this Shabbos - no meals. I am also having a large family come for after the meal.

Please help me figure out what to have on hand for breakfast, nosh, and for after the meal.

House is almost empty of food right now, and we are not big junk eaters. I don't mind buying food, but I hate wasting food.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 12:23 am
amother wrote:
I am housing 3 bochurim this Shabbos - no meals. I am also having a large family come for after the meal.

Please help me figure out what to have on hand for breakfast, nosh, and for after the meal.

House is almost empty of food right now, and we are not big junk eaters. I don't mind buying food, but I hate wasting food.

Cut up fruits, popcorn, sunflower seeds, cake, ices.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 1:49 am
Also, an urn and coffee and tea stuff, with paper cups and plastic spoons. Be sure to leave some of the food out on the kitchen table, so guests can help themselves.

juggling

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 2:39 am
Buy what you'd normally buy for guests. If it's not something you eat, and there are leftovers after shabbat, ask them to take it home with them and share with their friends. If they refuse, give it to a neighbor. Even cheap nosh usually gets eaten by someone, if it looks relatively fresh and is being offered for free.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:56 am
juggling wrote:
Buy what you'd normally buy for guests. If it's not something you eat, and there are leftovers after shabbat, ask them to take it home with them and share with their friends. If they refuse, give it to a neighbor. Even cheap nosh usually gets eaten by someone, if it looks relatively fresh and is being offered for free.

I normally feed my guests. I don't have sleep over only. What should I have in case they are hungry when they arrive?

I normally would give the large family a nice selection of desserts including cookies ams cakes since they are coming after the meal, but my house has already been cleaned except for the dining room and kitchen. My Pesach kitchen is opened. I want something that appeals to them, but that won't be a problem for me. I am thinking non-chometz options.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 7:08 am
It is very nice to have potato kugel when they arrive before Shabbos.

For breakfast - yogurt, kitniyos cereal, milk, maybe a KLP cake, coffee, tea.

For snacks - fruit, chips (KLP or kitniyos), and crackers are very nice. You can also never go wrong with chocolate!

When I am a sleepover guest only, I don't expect a tearoom. Smile

Please let your guests know that your house is mainly kosher lePesach, they may have brought snacks with them for the trip.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 7:45 am
I also gave guests this week.
I bought KLP Lays chips, kitniyot popcorn, nuts, fruit

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 7:50 am
No need to serve adults kosher lpesach cake yet! They'll leave starved.
Kugel, chalont for when they arrive.
Stock the house with drinks, fruits, cake, snacks, chocolate, nuts.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 9:22 am
We had a guest last week for overnight. We had boiled eggs, cheese, salmon from the night before, coffee and challah with butter. I think there were little individual boxes of cereal we’ve had lying around for six months too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note