Home

Is it Ok to tell DD6 to stop the crying?
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

ra_mom

Post  Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:54 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I agree with other posters that crying is not misbehaving or manipulating, but rather an expression of emotion. At times, it is an immature way to express emotions, and the child should be taught to speak instead - not because their crying is annoying you, but rather because they will benefit from learning to deal with their emotions in a mature way.

So the important thing is to make sure your message isn't "Stop crying because you're annoying me," but rather, "I understand you are sad. Let's figure out a more efficient way to deal with your sadness."

Great post.

mommy201

Post  Sun, Apr 07 2019, 2:01 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I agree with other posters that crying is not misbehaving or manipulating, but rather an expression of emotion. At times, it is an immature way to express emotions, and the child should be taught to speak instead - not because their crying is annoying you, but rather because they will benefit from learning to deal with their emotions in a mature way.

So the important thing is to make sure your message isn't "Stop crying because you're annoying me," but rather, "I understand you are sad. Let's figure out a more efficient way to deal with your sadness."

Like this! And kind of what I was saying all along.
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

Page 4 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children