Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DS giving up his room for a night

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:29 pm
My brother asked me if he and his friend can sleep over motzei shabbos. I said no problem. This would mean that DS, age 4, would have to sleep in another room with his baby sister (his room is the only one with 2 beds, his sister is in a crib). When I told him, he immediately said he does not want to sleep in another room. It's too late to cancel on my brother.

In general, I don't like to take things away from DS that are his (I.e. his bed). How can I approach this so that he won't feel like I'm taking something that belongs to him? I guess I'm missing the right wording. I told him he would get a big mitzvah but he didn't seem impressed.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:34 pm
give him a prize for his special mitzvah.
I would not allow a 4 year old to get away with not giving up his room, its not like hes 15

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:43 pm
1. Acknowledge that it's hard for him and he doesn't like to sleep in another bed.
2. Try to give him some other form of choice in the matter. Is sleeping in your room for the night an option?
3. Offer him a special treat in honor of doing this mitzva. For example a yummy breakfast when he wakes up.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:43 pm
He's 4. Too young to have an opinion. You don't ask. You tell. At this age get him into the habit of we always listen to mommy. The only time you ask is if your ok with whatever their answer would be - ok with them saying no. To make it exciting Tell him he gets to sleep in mommy's bed...put him to sleep in your bed and then transfer him to baby sisters room once asleep.

ellacoe

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 6:44 pm
Explain to him the importance of giving up his room, I.e. the mitzvah and doing for things for other in general, but also make a big effort to acknowledge his feelings and the inconvenience of giving up his room.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 05 2019, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
1. Acknowledge that it's hard for him and he doesn't like to sleep in another bed.
2. Try to give him some other form of choice in the matter. Is sleeping in your room for the night an option?
3. Offer him a special treat in honor of doing this mitzva. For example a yummy breakfast when he wakes up.

This is perfect. Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics