Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
NYC for first time in decade
1  2  Next

lavender_dew

Post Sat, Apr 06 2019, 11:59 pm
My husband and I are IYH travelling to NYC for a 5 day vacation in a few weeks. Neither one of us has been there in about a decade, and when we WERE there, we were not frum and kosher hotspots were not on our minds. That being said, this is our first trip away, just the two of us (EVER!) so I'd like to maximize it!! We both love historic stuff, and I'm super excited to try as many kosher restaurants as we can. Please, please, please give me some suggestions of things to do! Whenever I Google it, I just get overwhelmed. Thanks so much in advance.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:06 am
The living Torah museum is nice.

trixx

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:13 am
I second that museum though I only went with a school, not sure what it would be like as two adults. Edit: no need if you've been to any museum in Israel or the British Museum

Tenement house museum!

Abaita - dairy

Last edited by trixx on Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:13 am
Some attractions:
Holocaust museum
Museum of natural history
gullivers gate
Spyscape
Vr world
If you want to visit the Statue of Liberty you need to apply in advance
Empire State Building Skyride
9/11 memorial and museum
A double decker around the city could be nice

Great kosher restaurants
Mikes bistro is our favorite
Reserve cut - expensive but great
UN Grill
Wolf and lamb
Dairy:
Tiberias
Noi due

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:14 am
World trade center, empire state building, statue of liberty, ellis island, times square, central park, gullivers gate, intrepid, a ferry/circle line tour. You want to stick to Manhattan or anywhere in NY?
You can walk around in Williamsburg and Boro Park, go to coney island & bronx zoo.
If you where never in NY, I would suggest you not waste time at the living torah museum.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:20 am
The met shouldn’t be missed imo

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 1:59 am
It depends where you're coming from. If your coming from somewhere with a big Jewish presence then you might just want the NYC experience. But if not, go for the heimishe things like:
A walk along 13th Ave. Friday afternoon.
Any of the big supermarkets Bingo, pomegranate, gourmet glatt.
Dh should Daven maariv Thursday night at shomer shabbos.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 2:02 am
It depends where you're coming from. If your coming from somewhere with a big Jewish presence then you might just want the NYC experience. But if not,
go for the heimishe things like
A walk along 13th Ave. Friday afternoon.
Any of the big supermarkets Bingo, pomegranate, gourmet glatt.
Dh should Daven maariv Thursday night at shomer shabbos.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 2:33 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Some attractions:
Holocaust museum
Museum of natural history
gullivers gate
Spyscape
Vr world
If you want to visit the Statue of Liberty you need to apply in advance
Empire State Building Skyride
9/11 memorial and museum
A double decker around the city could be nice

Great kosher restaurants
Mikes bistro is our favorite
Reserve cut - expensive but great
UN Grill
Wolf and lamb
Dairy:
Tiberias
Noi due

The Sky Ride hasn't existed for quite some time. It closed.

mahousenow

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 2:41 am
Hudson yards just opened.

To add to the Restaurants:
Noga (dairy)
Izzy’s steakhouse in crown heights is one of a kind, people come daily from Lakewood and monsey just for this.

aricelli

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:18 am
Bialystoker shul is a nyc landmark and I heard its a nice place to visit

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 9:47 am
If you go to the Tenement museum on the Lower East Side, it is worthwhile to tour the Eldridge Street Synagogue. In midtown, near Museum Mile, is Congregation Shearith Israel (the Spanish Portugese shul-America's first Jewish congregation). Shearith Israel only has public tours the second Wednesday of the month, so I don't know if your dates work out.

lavender_dew

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:42 am
thanks for all the replies! I got some good ideas and am trying to plan everything by area now. Booking tickets to Tenement museum after I finish this post!

lavender_dew

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:03 am
Question if anyone can help: I'm planning on going to Marani. Is there anything to do in the vicinity, maybe something interesting in the afternoon before dinner? Thanks!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:29 am
In my opinion the best restaurant is Abigaels. We go there on every special occasion. I like museum of natural history and ripleys believe it or not. I love broadway shows if that’s something you do. Blue man group can be interesting if your husband doesn’t watch women perform. But it’s been years so I have no idea if it’s still playing. I enjoy to walk around Times Square too.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:05 pm
I forgot to add: if you like Tiffany, besides the Met, check out the New York Historical Society. I just love their very extensive Tiffany lamp collection... as well as its nod to the role that women played in their creation.

Einikel

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:25 pm
If the weather is nice Brooklyn Bridge Park is beautiful. And so is walking the Brooklyn Bridge.

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 12:40 pm
National Parks of New York Harbor (I believe that most, if not all, are free)-- https://www.nps.gov/npnh/index.htm

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:01 pm
Not much to do in queens and the areas around marani. It’s also just ok tasting and I personally would skip it .

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:33 pm
lavender_dew wrote:
My husband and I are IYH travelling to NYC for a 5 day vacation in a few weeks. Neither one of us has been there in about a decade, and when we WERE there, we were not frum and kosher hotspots were not on our minds. That being said, this is our first trip away, just the two of us (EVER!) so I'd like to maximize it!! We both love historic stuff, and I'm super excited to try as many kosher restaurants as we can. Please, please, please give me some suggestions of things to do! Whenever I Google it, I just get overwhelmed. Thanks so much in advance.

Buddah Bodai restaurant. Best Chinese fake meat ever. Salivating just thinking about it. 😋
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics