Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What was your favorite fad growing up?
  Previous  1  2  3 11 12  13  14  Next

simba

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:26 am
This thread is amazing. How weird is it that across the globe we all have such similar memories.

During recess:
Handball. Elimination, Chinese jump rope, Gaga and machanayim.

At the cool kids bas mitzva she had a DJ singing “I’m a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world,
B@@bs of plastic, it’s fantastic...”
My BY friends and I thought we were so cool and sang it all day.

Converse sneakers (yes, I know they are back in)
When the emoji fad just started (20 yrs ago)
I was terrible at yo-yo. Never cared for the tamagotchi or pet rock.

But I did have a beeper before cell phones were as prevalent as underwear.

For the antique ones amongst us there are the Baby-O biz skirts or the updated go to was the zcavarricci skirt.

What else?? Baby-G wrist watches were a thing at some point. Oh! And coat suits! When I was in high school we teenagers were wearing full on suits for shabbos. Then coat suits hit the market and we went haywire on them. We must have looked like kids trapped in 70 year old clothing.

The good ole days!

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:04 am
That barbie song sure was irritating. As well as was Hansons mmm bop bonita...

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:15 am
youngishbear wrote:
OMG lol! Some good jokes out there about those.

Did you hear about the teacher who was helping Jason Robert, one of her kindergarten students put on his boots?

He asked for help and she could see why. With her pulling and him pushing, the boots still didn't want to go on. When the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost whimpered when Jason Robert said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong feet." She looked and sure enough, they were.

It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on.

She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on, this time on the right feet. He then announced, "These aren't my boots."

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Jason, why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to.

Once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off.

He then said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear them today."

She didn't know if she should laugh or cry. She mustered up the grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again.

She said, "Now, where are your mittens Jason?"

Jason Robert said, "I stuffed them in the toes of my boots..."

Speaking of jokes. Pete and Repeat were on a boat. Pete fell off. Who was left?

Also, Patience my donkey, patience!

Eta. 6 yo dd tried Pete and Repeat on me this morning. I said Hon, that joke is WAAY older than you!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
Speaking of jokes. Pete and Repeat were on a boat. Pete fell off. Who was left?

Also, Patience my donkey, patience!

Also the three elephants in the tub and no soap radio!!
I still don't get that joke Can't Believe It

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:55 am
Remember the “cheers”? If youre up youre up... I saw a big momma walking down the street

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:08 am
OMG!

The excitement when we installed a carphone in my dad's station wagon!!! It was big, and black, and had a length of coiled wire. The receiver sloped from my forehead to my chest!

And yes Simba, I was wearing lapels and heels in high school, too.

And we would develop our yellow Kodak films ( often not even remembering what the contents of the film were... We'd pick them up from the store and find out whether they were pics from camp, or from the bar mitzvah last year.) And we would store away the negatives...

simba

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:17 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
OMG!

The excitement when we installed a carphone in my dad's station wagon!!! It was big, and black, and had a length of coiled wire. The receiver sloped from my forehead to my chest!

And we would develop our yellow Kodak films ( often not even remembering what the contents of the film were... We'd pick them up from the store and find out whether they were pics from camp, or from the bar mitzvah last year.) And we would store away the negatives...

Did you get doubles when you developed pictures?

gold21

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:27 am
amother wrote:
A ball in a sock.

Hello hello hello sir
Meet me at the grocer
Yes sir
No sir
Why sir
Because I (something something) sir

LOL LOL

Haha yup

Because I got a cold, Sir

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:28 am
We would place the negatives against the light to try and decipher those reversed- black on white images.
I'm embarrassed at the amount of inane pics I shot, developed, placed in magnetic albums with the peel-apart pages, and decorated

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:44 am
gold21 wrote:
Haha yup

Because I got a cold, Sir

Because I caught a cold, sir
Where'd you catch a cold, sir
At the north pole, sir
Watcha doing there, sir
Catching a polar bear, sir
1, sir
up to 10
and that's enough for me, sir!

aricelli

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:47 am
And since we’re talking pesach- anyone remember pesach notebooks covered with metallic contact paper?

karat

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:50 am
Logic puzzles
Donkey Kong
Film projectors-where you viewed the movie on the wall.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:19 pm
For me:

Mankala board game (was a huge fad because teacher had one in the classroom). The Wooden Labyrinth (same reason)

The Mrs. Brady hair style from the 3rd season of the Brady Bunch. This was a close-cropped 'do with a flip in the back. In retrospect, truly hideous.

In the jr. high years, we all wore these 1-2 inch bears that could clip on to a collar. There was a koalas, a panda, and a tan teddy bear from what I recall. We also carried Le Sport Sac handbags. The Farrah Fawcett feathered hairstyle also came into style but you had to have thick hair to pull that off. Cowl Neck Sweaters were also popular as were clogs with wooden soles (our teachers HATED them as they were noisy).

In high school era, the preppy look was huge so your grosgrain ribbon belt had to match your grosgrain ribbon watchband which also had to match your grosgrain ribbon hairband. Bermuda bags with interchangeable covers were also huge as were LL Bean totebags and Sperry's. Definitely SONY Walkmans....

My daughter HAD to have Polly Pockets, a lemon SkipIt. I don't remember anything particularly outrageous.

My son was very into Pokeman especially Pikachu. He started to become somewhat particular about clothing brands starting in his middle school years.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:23 pm
Rice necklaces

Laiya

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
Also the three elephants in the tub and no soap radio!!
I still don't get that joke Can't Believe It

I think it wasn't supposed to make sense. The point was to see if you could convince your friends to laugh at the nonsensical joke by laughing and acting like you thought it was funny oy TMI

esther11

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:20 pm
I was a 90s kid and so many things were in over the years! Here are a bunch I remember:

Personalized rice necklaces
Platform shoes/boots
Hodaya heart necklaces
Windbreakers
Chinese slippers
Chatter rings
Polly pockets (the really tiny type)
Friendship bracelets
Hair poof with a headband
Beanie babies
kugelach
Chinese jump rope
Machanayim
Disposable cameras (and doing donkey/bunny ears!)

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 3:31 pm
Since my parents weren’t about to buy me faddish things, I quickly learned not to be enamored of them. In my photo album there are few clues to the age of the pictures aside from long-term general trends like wider or narrower collars or the stylized flower motifs that adorned everything in the late sixties. I liked displaying on my book bags buttons declaring “Israel is Real”, “Save Soviet Jewry” and “War is not healthy for children and other living things “ but I wasn’t passionate about wearing them. It was just something to do.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 3:52 pm
Who remembers what hats we used to wear to our long wool European style shabbos coats? Stiff wool hats, with wide brims, & like 2 shawls coming down the side to close the hat!!! Hope I described it well!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 5:07 pm
Keds, the plain white ones, with regular laces arranged and tucked in so they went straight across in four lines and we didn't have to tie them. Some people decorated them with a ball-point pen.

Scrunchy socks. Sometimes we wore two full different-colored pairs, scrunched down in two layers so you could see them both, and each foot had a different color on top.

Has anyone mentioned waterfall bangs?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:40 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
OMG!

Remember the huge phone in Kojaks car
And Maxwell Smarts shoe phone
Page 12 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 11 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics