Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What was your favorite fad growing up?
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next

gande

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:58 am
So much fun this thread. I feel so ancient.
Some chants that were left out
Miss lucy had a baby ..
Double double this this..
Alta baba sura...

One intersting memory I have when I was young my aunts decorated dolls dresses from fruit leather. Anyone remember that?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:02 am
I didn’t read through the whole post but were click clacks mentioned? We walked around the yard at recess with them and it was so noisy that the principal had to ban them.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:06 am
dankbar wrote:
I almost got expelled from school because I called into Cy radio show

My sister won a cassette by Mostly Music for getting the answer right. I think it was a halacha question?

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:07 am
I got "a little medrash says"

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:09 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Hey fellow P U P A. It's been years...

Another P-U-P-A camper. When did you guys go?

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:06 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
This probably deserves a spinoff, but does anyone here know anyone who ever actually WON at Carmen Sandiego or Oregon Trail? I need to know, because for the last many years, I've come to believe those games were simply designed to be unwinnable LOL

I did, does that prove that I spent too much time on the computer even before imamother?!
Granted I didn't win Oregon Trail very much but I definitely saw Oregon at least once. Thinking back it's actually mystifying that they made a game THAT hard to win. Or rather, that unlikely to win, because it was usually just bad luck that did you in. Was Yukon Trail on the same game or was it just a different spinoff? I liked that one too. Where you had to stop at the saloon and shoot bottles to get money?

There's a website where you can play all the retro games, by the way. Thankfully, I forgot what it was.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:15 am
dankbar wrote:
I almost got expelled from school because I called into Cy radio show

WHY?! Just WHY would that bother your school?!!! We spent years of our childhood trying to get on. One second past 9 and no matter how long you had been sitting on hold it was "gei shluffen."

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:21 am
aricelli wrote:
What happened to all the fairy tales? Snow white and little red riding hood and goldilocks and dumbo and peter pan and captain hook? We spent hours woth those records and matching books. They were kinda creepy...

Yknow this might deserve a spinoff. I was trying to figure out what it is about these things. I definitely knew all the classic fairy tales when I was a kid. It still seems sort of expected that people will have some familiarity with them. Yet my own kids, I like to have them somewhat cultured and educated, and yet I have never had the slightest desire to read them any of these classics. There are just so many fine books and stories for young children and frankly all the wolf and bear and witch stuff is scary. I think my mother has a cartoonish anthology that covers the basics so lucky for them (maybe?) my kids are going into the world adequately equipped (for what?) but I'm not sure why and how everyone else is supposed to get this education. But then there are all kinds of cute spinoffs and allusions you could never understand without that background... The Jolly Postman was one of my favorite books but it's a waste of time on most yeshiva kids. The one story I did find occasion to share at a fine early age was The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Very practical. I'm not sure Jack and the Beanstalk is quite as helpful.

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:00 am
seeker wrote:
WHY?! Just WHY would that bother your school?!!! We spent years of our childhood trying to get on. One second past 9 and no matter how long you had been sitting on hold it was "gei shluffen."

Because radio was assur/tumah

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:01 am
I was thinking then if it's assur/tumah how did principal know? He must've listened too.

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:04 am
I see suggestion was taken in account it gets requoted with the color of the mother

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:15 am
dankbar wrote:
I see suggestion was taken in account it gets requoted with the color of the mother
oh wow that's amazing

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:00 am
Cheshire cat wrote:
Some fads were so weird. Remember furbies?
The originals are very valuable now.

Yes! I was in love with Furbies.
Also, remember when it was a thing to braid colored string in your hair? Like I had one strip of hair that was covered in a specially knotted design. Don’t know how else to describe it.

pause

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:25 am
Michal Negrin jewelry

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 11:58 am
yo'ma wrote:
Because I caught a cold, sir
Where'd you catch a cold, sir
At the north pole, sir
Watcha doing there, sir
Catching a polar bear, sir
1, sir
up to 10
and that's enough for me, sir!

and that's enough for me, sir.
Hachoo, hachoo, hachoo, sir.

We also had biz skirts and stevensons. And a whole big hock on how the Stevenson wasn't tznius. They actually spoke to us in school about it, with a demonstration!!

simba

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:01 pm
PinkandYellow wrote:
and that's enough for me, sir.
Hachoo, hachoo, hachoo, sir.

We also had biz skirts and stevensons. And a whole big hock on how the Stevenson wasn't tznius. They actually spoke to us in school about it, with a demonstration!!

I forgot about the Stevenson skirt! Good one!

esther11

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 7:07 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Yes! I was in love with Furbies.
Also, remember when it was a thing to braid colored string in your hair? Like I had one strip of hair that was covered in a specially knotted design. Don’t know how else to describe it.

Yes!! Hair wraps!! I got in camp one summer, they were so cool to a 12 year old me Laugh

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:03 pm
Speaking of Keds- remember when the laces got replaced with the curly laces that you didn't even have to tie? Boy were those kids cool!

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:45 pm
Another one I just remembered- Don't think was mentioned here yet.
The game Anna Banana banana split! & the yiddish version of Totty, Mommy & listing names of all children in the family & making a split by your own name & family name.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:49 pm
Hopscotch!
Page 13 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics