Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Opening a can of worms: The OJC check

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 3:15 pm
I get that it's convenient for people who have a lot of tzedakah to distribute. It helps them get their tax deduction, which they otherwise wouldn't by giving to a private person who can't give them a tax deductible receipt.

Does anyone know how the recipient is supposed to use them? Only an organization can redeem it, apparently, unless anyone knows otherwise. It cannot be deposited. Do stores accept it? What have you done with yours, if you've received any?

P.S. What is your opinion on tipping a teacher with such a "check"

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 3:31 pm
The are meant to be issued to organizations, or people soliciting for organizations.

Don't give it to a teacher.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 3:32 pm
I think it's wrong to use it for tipping- but I guess people will always look for ways to avoid tax.
I have heard of Shuls where the gabbai accepts these checks though I am not sure if it's legal. Same with paying tuition etc.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 3:51 pm
Adding to my comment above. If you are a teacher wife of a teacher who received this - give it to your school (which 'should' be able to cash it) - go out and buy some personal groceries and ask the school to reimburse you with the money from the check (they get money from the OJC fund).

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 3:58 pm
Thanks, everyone. I was so humiliated when I got it, but then I found out I wasn't the only one, so this is a thing now. Then I felt guilty for being ungrateful. It is a generous tip but I felt stuck with this piece of paper. I will look into these suggestions.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I was so humiliated when I got it, but then I found out I wasn't the only one, so this is a thing now. Then I felt guilty for being ungrateful. It is a generous tip but I felt stuck with this piece of paper. I will look into these suggestions.

Its very clear that it can't be written out to a 'person'. The individual who gave it to you put you in a hard position, and basically did the wrong thing.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
Its very clear that it can't be written out to a 'person'. The individual who gave it to you put you in a hard position, and basically did the wrong thing.

Do they know that? Is it part of the information that's provided to them when signing up for this service?

I know many people got such checks over Purim and everyone is scrambling to figure out what to do with them

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
Do they know that? Is it part of the information that's provided to them when signing up for this service?

I know many people got such checks over Purim and everyone is scrambling to figure out what to do with them

Just look at the check (meaning its payable only to a 'charity' - that means the person who gave it to you should understand that).

It basically operates a charity clearing house. People put in money and direct the charity how they would like it to be distributed to other charities.

AFIK no charity can just hand out money, just like that to individuals, - that's why you can't cash it directly..

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:

Just use it to pay your tuition or your membership dues in shul you go to or pay the mikvah

Why is everything such a turmoil

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 5:18 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Just use it to pay your tuition or your membership dues in shul you go to or pay the mikvah

Why is everything such a turmoil

Ah - so people who hand these out to individuals - just leave the charity name on the check blank. I get it now. Opps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics