Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
So I want to make my own Matzah
1  2  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 3:59 pm
Do I need to mill my own flour? (I don't require shmurah matzah). Can I buy flour that is certified for Matzah making?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:11 pm
You can ask a matzah bakery if you can buy flour from them. Commercial flour is all Chametz.

Please speak to a Rav and review the halachos in Shulchan Aruch very well - matzah is very easy to get wrong and Chametz on Pesach is a very serious aveira.

Also be aware that your matzah won't look like or taste like commercial matzah at all - home ovens simply can't get that hot. Perhaps try first with Chametz flour just to see how it works.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
You can ask a matzah bakery if you can buy flour from them. Commercial flour is all Chametz.

Please speak to a Rav and review the halachos in Shulchan Aruch very well - matzah is very easy to get wrong and Chametz on Pesach is a very serious aveira.

Also be aware that your matzah won't look like or taste like commercial matzah at all - home ovens simply can't get that hot. Perhaps try first with Chametz flour just to see how it works.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Matzah isn't made for sale where I live (AFIK) I am working on getting someone to for me from a different city- its just a big favor.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:21 pm
You can probably order machine matza online.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:22 pm
Why is regular flour chometz?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:24 pm
ectomorph wrote:
You can probably order machine matza online.

I'm in a huge city.... I can buy matzah. There just isn't a matzah bakery here that I know of.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:25 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

http://kosherpoint.passroads.c.....metz/

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:32 pm
OP, if you want to make matzah for the experience, either make at home or join a model matzah bakery demonstration.

If you want to make matzah for the mitzvah, travel to a matzah bakery and see if you can join one of the runs, and purchase that matzah to use.

But making matzah at home for Pesach use is a very risky venture and I wouldn't do it unless I had no other choice.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:
OP, if you want to make matzah for the experience, either make at home or join a model matzah bakery demonstration.

If you want to make matzah for the mitzvah, travel to a matzah bakery and see if you can join one of the runs, and purchase that matzah to use.

But making matzah at home for Pesach use is a very risky venture and I wouldn't do it unless I had no other choice.

Thanks.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
http://kosherpoint.passroads.com/pesach/is-flour-chametz/

Well written.
According to this, flour these days is probably not chometz.
So if OP has no other flour, shouldn't she be able to use regular flour?
She might be able to find out from the company how it was tempered.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:43 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
Well written.
According to this, flour these days is probably not chometz.
So if OP has no other flour, shouldn't she be able to use regular flour?
She might be able to find out from the company how it was tempered.

OP isn't going to use regular flour.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
OP isn't going to use regular flour.

?
Why not?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 4:56 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
?
Why not?

From the time that the wheat is taken to the mill to be ground into flour, it must be guarded from contact with moisture until water is added just before the baking process.

Even if the flour was made without any contact of water on the kernels - commercial flour isn't guarded once it leaves the mill. (which is why I didn't think it was possible to purchase kosher for pesach flour in a store - but I thought maybe there was some way).

iyar

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:34 pm
OP, matzah baking is very tricky and probably can't be done in your oven. The problem is that if you don't get it right you could end up eating chametz on Pesach which as I'm sure you know is much much worse than ruining a roast or over salting the soup.
A lot of rabbis and plain regular people eat kosher for Pesach machine matzah and you can get it just about anywhere.
Ask your own rabbi of course, but I think a few boxes of machine matzah will save you a lot of time, energy and problems.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:51 pm
iyar wrote:
OP, matzah baking is very tricky and probably can't be done in your oven. The problem is that if you don't get it right you could end up eating chametz on Pesach which as I'm sure you know is much much worse than ruining a roast or over salting the soup.
A lot of rabbis and plain regular people eat kosher for Pesach machine matzah and you can get it just about anywhere.
Ask your own rabbi of course, but I think a few boxes of machine matzah will save you a lot of time, energy and problems.

Availability of Matzah isn't a concern. My Costco sells shmurah matzah.

There is just a disconnect for me this year - of eating matzah shipped from miles away. We remember the quick escape from Egypt by purchasing matzah, produced several/many weeks ago, boxed and shipped to our local grocery stores.

And doing it 'just for fun' like my three year old - isn't going to help.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:53 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

I've heard an opinion that unopened flour isn't considered chometz re necessary to sell. I've since heard from a respected posek and IIRC the CRC Chicago that flour, and oats, are soaked, early in the processing process. This isn't so for Pesach matzah flour.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
Availability of Matzah isn't a concern. My Costco sells shmurah matzah.

There is just a disconnect for me this year - of eating matzah shipped from miles away. We remember the quick escape from Egypt by purchasing matzah, produced several/many weeks ago, boxed and shipped to our local grocery stores.

When you grew up did you get matzah made by, say, your chassidus, or was your father part of a chabura? Because most of us grew up with matzah being made by someone else, someone distant, and shipped to our stores.
Is there something going on this year that makes everything seem more poignant or melancholy?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
When you grew up did you get matzah made by, say, your chassidus, or was your father part of a chabura? Because most of us grew up with matzah being made by someone else, someone distant, and shipped to our stores.
Is there something going on this year that makes everything seem more poignant or melancholy?

I grew up like "most of us" - purchasing matzah. I'm not new to this. MaNishta HaErev Pessach Hazeh? Probably looking at boxes of Shmura Matzah from the Ukraine and wondering if this was how the mitzvah was meant to be fulfilled.

(With great admiration for the history of the matzah factory in the Ukraine).

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:23 pm
I understand the interest. However, given that the stakes are so high in the case that you miss one detail in halacha, it's not something I would want to risk without having learned all of the relevant halachos in depth together with someone very learned and experienced. Perhaps work on that over the year and make it a goal for next year.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
I understand the interest. However, given that the stakes are so high in the case that you miss one detail in halacha, it's not something I would want to risk without having learned all of the relevant halachos in depth together with someone very learned and experienced. Perhaps work on that over the year and make it a goal for next year.

All leads me back to - this is doable - I just need the right flour - because this year - I'm not milling flour.

I appreciate all the concern.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen