Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
$6000 Wig?
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 3:00 pm
I guess there are people who spend $6000 on wigs, just like there are people who spend $1000 or more on a handbag and $20000 on a necklace.

If I was rich I would sooner spend my money on a really nice wig then on an expensive handbag or necklace, since it makes the most difference to my appearance.

I'll bet the people who spend $6000 on wigs spend lots of money on lots of things I wouldn't think of spending lots of money on.

r1

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 3:05 pm
mig100 wrote:
I guess im missing something- maybe I just dont understand english.

I read through ops post 3 times. it seems to me that her question is as follows

she has not bought a wig in a few years- and when she is looking to purchase one - she wants to have an idea of whats realistic to spend on a good wig. prices sometimes increase at shocking rates. so shes wondering if this is the case with wigs? or if this wig is more expensive one than the norm?

why is there always an assumption that if someone spends more on something than others would- that we are judging and being resentful?? where does op hint at any resentment?

She edited but before it quoted another meme we who clearly said she bought wigs for that price range....

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 3:11 pm
I've been married for many many years. I've gone through many many wigs. And what I've learned is that with shaitels you get what you pay for. In all my years of marriage I had never spent more than$1000 on a shaitel. A few years ago I finally splurged and spent 9,000 shekel (around$2,200). That shaitel is amazing and I still get tons of compliments. I couldn't fargin myself to spend that kind of money again so I recently went lower end and paid 6,000 shekel which to me is a lot of money. The shaitel is garbage. I'm so disappointed and frustrated.
I've learned that it's better to buy less often and buy better quality.
I can't imagine spending $4000 but I also never thought I'd be willing to spend as much as I did.
So if that makes her feel good and happy with her decision more power to her.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:03 pm
watergirl wrote:
Not wanting to hijack the other thread so I'm starting a new one.

I cant help but wonder what a $6000 wig looks like. Its been a number of years since I've last bought a wig (last time was 6 years ago), but even then, $1500 could get a pretty nice wig, especially when you find a sale, and there are always sales! The most expensive wig that I've ever bought was 2k and I thought that was insane, in fact, its what was the final nail in the sheitel coffin for me! Are $6000 wigs truly the norm now?

I think it’s insane to spend that on one wig, and I’ll bet it’s not better quality or nicer than one thousands less. Mine cost close to $4k and I thought that was very high....but I got full custom, measured, etc.

hesha

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:09 pm
If a person has the funds and a beautiful shaitel makes them feel happy to fulfill the mitzvah of covering your hair, rather than begrudging, why not??

nylon

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:16 pm
I'm not judging, but I am curious what you get for the money. I do know that unprocessed, long, naturally blonde hair is not easy to find so if that is what she is getting I am sure it is expensive.

These days it seems like I know more and more women who are buying more but cheaper wigs than investing thousands in a single sheitel. I remember Ralph wigs used to cost over 5K.

I know people who spent extra because they wanted natural curls, or other specific features. But 6K still seems to be exceptional.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 6:03 pm
nylon wrote:
I'm not judging, but I am curious what you get for the money. I do know that unprocessed, long, naturally blonde hair is not easy to find so if that is what she is getting I am sure it is expensive.

These days it seems like I know more and more women who are buying more but cheaper wigs than investing thousands in a single sheitel. I remember Ralph wigs used to cost over 5K.

I know people who spent extra because they wanted natural curls, or other specific features. But 6K still seems to be exceptional.

I'm guessing people are spending less because nicer wigs are available for less money?

I agree that spending more less often is not a bad strategy. I bought a wig for something over $2000 5 years ago that is still in great shape. I can't imagine a cheaper one would have held up as well.

gilamom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:37 pm
I think I saw a $6,000 wig last week. I went to a seller who carries many different brands and noticed she wasn't showing me any of the wigs on the back wall so I walked over to look at them and she chuckled and said those are way out of your price range. Whaaat, I don't look like the type to spend 6k on a wig? Guess not!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 9:59 pm
Imamother tends to have the mentality that if I can't afford it, if I don't see the value in it, it's ludicrous.

I remember when my neighbor bought her 6 little kids new Shabbos and weekday shoes prior to Pesach at a Jewish store, and I was in shock at what she paid.

At that point, my boys were about 6, 8, 10, and I got them great shoes at Payless which lasted just as long as her kids shoes. As an aside, since she spent so much, she wouldn't buy them new shoes until Rosh hashana no matter what the condition.

Summer came, and despite being tight on money, I sent my kids to daycamp. She kept her kids home, and the roamed the block, and wait d anxiously for my boys to come home so they could play with them. She told me that day Camp was too expensive.

I saw value in spending $X,XXX on day camp, whole she saw value in spending $X,XXX on Jewish shoes.

Neither one of us is morally superior to the other. We have different values and put out money towards different items.

There are so many things I see people spending big money on, but who am I to declare their choice to be ridiculous? If they have the means to buy this luxury, and I would not value paying that amount of money, why do I need to disparage their choices as ludicrous?

PS I am a luxury newborn photographer, and every so often I tell my mother that I sold $X,XXX portrait collection. She often lovingly says, "I'm so glad there are meshugoyim in the world crazy enough to pay this much to my talented daughter!"

To each their own.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 10:39 pm
Meanwhile I"m just here trying to figure out how that OP can be a lawyer when she can't seem to put together a single properly constructed sentence.

shyshira

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 11:49 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Meanwhile I"m just here trying to figure out how that OP can be a lawyer when she can't seem to put together a single properly constructed sentence.

I think what she meant was - as a matter of civil law, its a breach of contract.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:09 am
Raisin wrote:
I bought a wig for something over $2000 5 years ago that is still in great shape. I can't imagine a cheaper one would have held up as well.

Well, I usually wait until the $2000 wigs are on sale for $750. Each piece is different so it takes time to find one with good hair, right fits etc.
My most expensive wig was $1200 and I hate it and hardly wear it. My under $1000 wigs that I bought last between 3-5 years.
I didn’t know people spend $6000. I thought the highest people spend is $4,000.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:23 am
I didn't see the original thread, but this is interesting. My sheitel cost $800 7 years ago and it's doing well. I would be scared to wear something so expensive.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:23 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Imamother tends to have the mentality that if I can't afford it, if I don't see the value in it, it's ludicrous.

I remember when my neighbor bought her 6 little kids new Shabbos and weekday shoes prior to Pesach at a Jewish store, and I was in shock at what she paid.

At that point, my boys were about 6, 8, 10, and I got them great shoes at Payless which lasted just as long as her kids shoes. As an aside, since she spent so much, she wouldn't buy them new shoes until Rosh hashana no matter what the condition.

Summer came, and despite being tight on money, I sent my kids to daycamp. She kept her kids home, and the roamed the block, and wait d anxiously for my boys to come home so they could play with them. She told me that day Camp was too expensive.

I saw value in spending $X,XXX on day camp, whole she saw value in spending $X,XXX on Jewish shoes.

Neither one of us is morally superior to the other. We have different values and put out money towards different items.

There are so many things I see people spending big money on, but who am I to declare their choice to be ridiculous? If they have the means to buy this luxury, and I would not value paying that amount of money, why do I need to disparage their choices as ludicrous?

PS I am a luxury newborn photographer, and every so often I tell my mother that I sold $X,XXX portrait collection. She often lovingly says, "I'm so glad there are meshugoyim in the world crazy enough to pay this much to my talented daughter!"

To each their own.

I LOVE your mother's attitude Smile

gamanit

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:45 pm
My favorite wig was purchased on ebay for about $400 bucks. I have it for a few years now and still get a lot of compliments. I did pay $250 for the cut since I figured that's the most important part to get right. I don't think I have any wigs that cost even close to $1,000. I'm glad there are people earning enough money to spend that much on a wig. Hopefully they give their maaser money to good places. I do agree that if you're spending big money then that should include customer service.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels