Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why is it wrong to look for HELP WANTED signs?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:38 pm
My relative is desperate. He needs a job to help pay his bills but has been unsuccessful finding a job. Finally, he got a job in a store but the store only calls him very part time unless its busy like xmas...

So meanwhile he works in commission for real estate (foreclosed homes) but made no money yet. He says hes going to walk around at malls/in manhattan and other places with stores and he is only looking for HELP WANTED SIGNS.

. I feel bad for him but I think he is not searching properly. I think he shld walk into the stores and ask if they are hiring bec maybe they posted online and didnt put up a "help wanted" sign.

He says im wrong bec obviously if theres no sign they are not hiring. I think he shld ask. Of course he is looking online too but since hes walking to the stores in person, tthen I think its a waste of time if he only looks for a sign. I think he should take initiative to go into the store and ask if they need extra help.

How do I get through to him that this is a good idea??

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:40 pm
I disagree with you. Why should he waste his time and energy on a maybe? Let him try the help wanted stores first. He can search online and apply for the jobs that have online postings as well.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:41 pm
He's making a reasonable effort by checking online postings and looking out for help wanted signs. Why are you being pushy about the rest? If this is extremely important to you, you can always make the rounds yourself on his behalf. Otherwise, don't micromanage.

forgetit

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:43 pm
I think there are more targeted ways of networking (and of making parnassah in general) than looking at stores for help wanted signs. If he can work in RE at foreclosures, I take it he's not limited in a way that he can only work in stores? Many Jewish communities have resources for networking and setting up people in jobs. Has he spoken to recruiters? Has he made the effort to meet them? Can he take any courses to enhance skills?
I know I'm not exactly answering your q, but I feel there's a much better way.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 5:50 pm
Most places these days actually DON'T want people walking in to inquire about jobs, so your relative is, in fact, correct. Basically, unless the place has a help wanted sign up (which implies "inquire within") he should indeed be checking the website for employment opportunities and applying online.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 6:18 pm
Classifieds and employment agencies are better resources.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 6:20 pm
I can understand why your relative wouldn't want to ask a store that dosen't have a sign.
Is he checking websites like glassdoor.com?

Also if he has a car he can drive for Uber or Lyft. Also can do delivers for instacart.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 8:54 pm
Thanks everyone for replying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics