Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Bottles for pesach

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 10:55 pm
Do I need new baby bottles and/or pump parts for pesach..? If so that would Be a huge pain in the tush!

simba

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 11:28 pm
Only used for breast milk or with formula as well?
I use formula so just put in an order on amazon tonight for a fresh stock of bottles.
Ask your Rav.

SingALong

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 11:30 pm
When I was at that stage I bought new since they were washed in sink/dishwasher with chometz items. Then because my baby sometimes had formula, which is kitniyous, I washed the bottles and pump parts in the bathroom sink.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:07 am
Different opinions
I was told to boil the bottles and wash everything in the bathroom over pesach

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:00 am
I was told we normally don't kasher plastic for pesach, but for baby bottles and esp pump parts (which are hard to get), I should kasher them by placing in boiling water.

Last edited by cozyblanket on Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Fabulous

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 8:22 am
SingALong wrote:
When I was at that stage I bought new since they were washed in sink/dishwasher with chometz items. Then because my baby sometimes had formula, which is kitniyous, I washed the bottles and pump parts in the bathroom sink.

this. I do the same for pacifiers and sippy cups. If they are washed with chametz, I put away and buy new. It's a pain, but it is what it is. I did not ask, this is what we did growing up.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:25 am
Fabulous wrote:
this. I do the same for pacifiers and sippy cups. If they are washed with chametz, I put away and buy new. It's a pain, but it is what it is. I did not ask, this is what we did growing up.

pacis, bottles and cups can be bought. But a new set of pump parts is hard to get.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:28 am
I get new bottles, paci's and sippy cups. Anything used with formula get rinsed at the vanity sink.
Breast milk is not chometz, no need to get new pump parts.

Oops

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
I get new bottles, paci's and sippy cups. Anything used with formula get rinsed at the vanity sink.
Breast milk is not chometz, no need to get new pump parts.

This is what I do too

bsy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:13 pm
I'll just wash in the bathroom because during the year I put bottles and pumps in a chometz sink.

queene

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 12:17 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
I was told we normally don't kasher plastic for pesach, but for baby bottles and esp pump parts (which are hard to get), I should kasher them by placing in boiling water.

Pump parts can be found easily on amazon. They have many if not most types.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 1:19 pm
bsy wrote:
I'll just wash in the bathroom because during the year I put bottles and pumps in a chometz sink.

This is what I was thinking. These bottles have had formula in them in the past but recently only breast milk. My other big question... if I have breast milk in bottles in the fridge... if I had to buy new bottles I’d have to throw out that milk..?? It’s too old to freeze already I think but wouldn’t want to waste...

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:44 pm
I just clarified with my rabbi and he said I do not need to boil or buy new since no actual chametz in them and only baby uses them

bsy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
This is what I was thinking. These bottles have had formula in them in the past but recently only breast milk. My other big question... if I have breast milk in bottles in the fridge... if I had to buy new bottles I’d have to throw out that milk..?? It’s too old to freeze already I think but wouldn’t want to waste...

Milk in the fridge lasts up to 8 days so you shouldn't be keeping what you have now over pesach. In general, I don't see why it should be a problem to keep. If you're nervous to keep the bottle in the fridge that's clean for pesach, just put the bottles in a plastic bag in the fridge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics