Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Ideas for chol hamoed outings around LA
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 3:38 pm
Any ideas of good chol hamoed activities. near LA. kids are baby thru 16. willing to travel up to 1-2 hours but can be in LA also. I know about disney and the other parks. Looking for other ideas. Thanks

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 5:08 pm
Beaches - Santa Monica Pier is family friendly but only on a nice day. It's much cooler at the beach than in the city. YOu can rent bikes and segways. If you go to Marina del Ray, you can rent a boat. So fun.

monkeys

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 5:22 pm
Marina del Ray boat rentals
We LOVE going to Pointe Dume in Malibu
What type of activities do you like?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:05 pm
thanks for the ideas, I should have mentioned we did the pier on a different visit, and we did boating. we will likely go to the beach one day.

I was looking at a snorkling activity (obviously the baby can't join) but I'm not sure it is warm enough or close enough to LA. Has anyone done that?

Any easy hikes with beautiful scenery? Something that would be easy enough and safe for toddlers, no cliffs etc Wink

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:06 pm
monkeys wrote:
Marina del Ray boat rentals
We LOVE going to Pointe Dume in Malibu
What type of activities do you like?

what's there to do in Pointe Dume? Is it just a beach or are there other things to do there?

simba

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:37 pm
You can go hiking in Malibu on the Zuma trail. Their are a few trails and some are completely flat while others are hilly. Maybe dh can go off with the big kids on a hike and you take the kiddy trail?

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 6:56 pm
I love abalone cove, both Getty museums, the science center, the annenberg space for photography, and Griffith park

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:33 pm
Thanks for all the ideas so far. I'm going to look into them!

monkeys

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:
what's there to do in Pointe Dume? Is it just a beach or are there other things to do there?

It’s a mild hike with stunning views. There’s also a beach area.

simba

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:49 pm
tichellady wrote:
I love abalone cove, both Getty museums, the science center, the annenberg space for photography, and Griffith park

I would skip the Getty’s center with kids. It’s an art museum. The grounds and views are stunning but I remember being very bored by the exhibits. Please excuse my lack of culture and appreciation for the arts!

simba

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 7:50 pm
Another hike that might work with kids is Greystone Mansion. It’s a big estate in the hills of Beverly Hills that is open to the public. You cannot enter the actual house but it’s a sprawling estate with stunning views of the city.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 9:07 pm
simba wrote:
I would skip the Getty’s center with kids. It’s an art museum. The grounds and views are stunning but I remember being very bored by the exhibits. Please excuse my lack of culture and appreciation for the arts!

I loved it as a kid but to each her own.
I liked the tram and the gardens
https://www.visitcalifornia.co.....-kids

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 09 2019, 10:07 pm
I liked the Tolerance Museum with the Anne Frank exhibit- http://www.museumoftolerance.com/

We toured the Paramount Pictures Studio which was fun- http://www.paramountstudiotour......html

Your kids might enjoy La Brea Tar Pits and Museum- http://www.tarpits.org/

Runyon Canon Park is a good hike-- http://runyoncanyontrails.com/

You can also just hang out and explore The Grove, Hollywood Walk of Fame, The Chinese Theatre, etc. Try to find the Silver Lake Stairs. Take the train downtown and explore the area as well.

You can go to Long Beach to visit the Queen Mary-- https://www.queenmary.com/

I've heard of Catalina Island but have not been there- https://www.visitcatalinaislan.....-here

mommyX2

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:09 am
what age is the museum of tolerance appropriate for? Including the Anne exhibit. What age would enjoy it? and also would a young child find it traumatic? And how much time could one spend here? Thanks.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 1:17 am
The Long Beach Aquarium is nice. They have a bird feeding area.
The LA is also pretty nice. San Diego's zoo is about 2 hours.
Snorkeling's very nice in Catalina, but its a 2 hour drive plus a boat ride.
Big Bear has really nice hikes.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:33 am
You've gotten excellent advice from the LA locals. For parks, we loved Legoland and SeaWorld. Another really cool place closer to LA is the Naples canals, which are so beautiful to walk around and explore. You could also drive to Santa Barbara, which I believe has a small zoo and is a really picturesque town. And if you want nature, look into Channel Islands National Park, accessible via a short boat ride.

mommyla

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:46 am
We weren’t thrilled with Legoland, and that was with a LEGO-obsessed kid. It can get really hot there and they don’t manage the rides well, so you can wait on line for a long time. It was fun but not a trip we’ll make again.

Long Beach can be a full day. The aquarium is a really good one. You can also visit the Queen Mary and the Russian submarine. We’ve also rented bikes and boats there - you can see seals. (You can also see them at Marina del Rey if you go to the right areas.)

There’s an indoor trampoline place in Thousand Oaks called Dojo Boom that’s a lot of fun and there’s a great park nearby with turtles. I think it’s called Conejo Creek.

Have fun!

monkeys

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:02 am
We had a great time in LEGOLAND but it’s really only suitable for younger kids. I’d avoid all theme parks Chol Hamoed because it’s also Easter week and they’ll be packed!
The Long Beach aquarium is great for little kids. A 16 year old would be bored stiff.
Another place that wasn’t mentioned yet is Oxnard.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 11:50 am
monkeys wrote:
We had a great time in LEGOLAND but it’s really only suitable for younger kids. I’d avoid all theme parks Chol Hamoed because it’s also Easter week and they’ll be packed!
The Long Beach aquarium is great for little kids. A 16 year old would be bored stiff.
Another place that wasn’t mentioned yet is Oxnard.

We love the Long Beach aquarium and we're adults - go there all the time!

m987

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 12:01 pm
In Griffith Park which is where the zoo and Griffith museum are there is a train museum which is really fun for kids and adults may enjoy as well. There are real trains the kids can go onto and a train ride

Something I went to a few times and is really fun for kids and adults is the Reagan library. It has interactive exhibits such Air Force one and a model of the White House..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics