Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I’m addicted to sugar!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 2:55 pm
I have Bh been able to keep a very healthy lifestyle for the last 2 years & lost over 60 lbs. I’m not trying to lose anymore weight so I have a treat here & there & I’m able to maintain my weight. My problem is more mental once I have a bit of sugar I’m an addict all I want is more!! Is there a way I can indulge sometimes & not just want more?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:05 pm
It's a real thing, the premise behind OA, Overeaters anonymous. If you're an addict complete abstinence from sugar and flour is the only way. Once you have even a little bit, it triggers a reaction in the body which sets off cravings and there's never enough to satisfy it.

The program has been a lifesaver for me!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
It's a real thing, the premise behind OA, Overeaters anonymous. If you're an addict complete abstinence from sugar and flour is the only way. Once you have even a little bit, it triggers a reaction in the body which sets off cravings and there's never enough to satisfy it.

The program has been a lifesaver for me!

So I know this. But is that really the only way for the rest of my life I can’t ever have sugar?!
I don’t know if I can do that.
A very big part of my “diet” is that I do let myself indulge sometimes. I wouldn’t have made it to this point otherwise & it wouldn’t be sustainable for me.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 3:44 pm
Unfortunately, yes, for me... I know I will never be able to eat like a normal person. It got easier once I accepted this as fact and I'm at peace with it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 4:01 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, for me... I know I will never be able to eat like a normal person. It got easier once I accepted this as fact and I'm at peace with it.

Wow That is amazing!! Good for u!!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 4:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow That is amazing!! Good for u!!

I just want to add that it's only sustainable by working the whole program, namely the 12 steps in addition to abstinence.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 4:44 pm
When I went off sugar, I found that honey and maple syrup do not have the same effect on me. So I ate homemade granola (with maple syrup) and homemade chocolate (coconut oil, cocoa, maple syrup) and fruit and a little satisfied me without giving me more cravings.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 5:11 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
When I went off sugar, I found that honey and maple syrup do not have the same effect on me. So I ate homemade granola (with maple syrup) and homemade chocolate (coconut oil, cocoa, maple syrup) and fruit and a little satisfied me without giving me more cravings.

That's interesting!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I know this. But is that really the only way for the rest of my life I can’t ever have sugar?!
I don’t know if I can do that.
A very big part of my “diet” is that I do let myself indulge sometimes. I wouldn’t have made it to this point otherwise & it wouldn’t be sustainable for me.

if you get rid of all sugar, including sweeteners, fruits, grains and starches, you will 100% LOSE your desire to eat these things.

Do it, or not, but this works. It is literally the magic bullet I looked for my entire life.

I crave nothing. I eat to satiety. I am no longer tortured by thoughts of food. I eat tasty food I am not hungry.

For me, OA did not go far enough. I had to get rid of everything. But then, like magic, POOF. The compulsions were gone.and stayed gone. maintaining 80 pound loss over a year. Lost 90 so far. The ten is new.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I just want to add that it's only sustainable by working the whole program, namely the 12 steps in addition to abstinence.

having done it both ways, I disagree. no matter how hard I worked on the steps, when I did not remove all the sugars/starches/grains/sweeteners/fruit from my food plan, I was still tortured with cravings no matter how hard I worked the steps . Including foods on the gray sheet.

NOW, while I love the steps and learned a lot from them, I don't work them actively and have finally had the compulsion completely lifted. I agree that it is truly by the grace of god.

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:44 pm
Sugars/carbs make you crave more that's why you can't stop

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 11:09 pm
andrea levy wrote:
if you get rid of all sugar, including sweeteners, fruits, grains and starches, you will 100% LOSE your desire to eat these things.

Do it, or not, but this works. It is literally the magic bullet I looked for my entire life.

I crave nothing. I eat to satiety. I am no longer tortured by thoughts of food. I eat tasty food I am not hungry.

For me, OA did not go far enough. I had to get rid of everything. But then, like magic, POOF. The compulsions were gone.and stayed gone. maintaining 80 pound loss over a year. Lost 90 so far. The ten is new.

I wish I could do it but I know myself & I know it wouldn’t be sustainable.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 11:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish I could do it but I know myself & I know it wouldn’t be sustainable.

Dont discount the power of a chemical reaction. You are literally not a special case. There is nothing special about your body that it won’t work for you.

It is a chemical reaction. When you go strict, it happens. Without exception. And he longer you go, the less you care. You have no idea what it would take for me to take a bite of something that isn’t on my plan. Well, pretty much, nothing. I’ve lost all desire for other foods. The quiet in my head is amazing.

699 days. No more starting over. Just peace. It’s a tiny price to pay. Tiny.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 11:32 pm
OP, did you try Weight Watchers? With the new system you get to eat food worth a certain number of points each day but you also have a weekly stash of extra points you can dig into when you want to indulge. So you can have treats, but you are also more conscientious about it. And even if you over-indulge, you are motivated to catch yourself and stop.

I started it a few weeks ago, and also have a strong sweet tooth/sugar addiction. The first few days were rough but it got a lot easier. And it definitely helps to know I can have sweet things and don’t have to deny myself completely.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:17 am
andrea levy wrote:
Dont discount the power of a chemical reaction. You are literally not a special case. There is nothing special about your body that it won’t work for you.

It is a chemical reaction. When you go strict, it happens. Without exception. And he longer you go, the less you care. You have no idea what it would take for me to take a bite of something that isn’t on my plan. Well, pretty much, nothing. I’ve lost all desire for other foods. The quiet in my head is amazing.

699 days. No more starting over. Just peace. It’s a tiny price to pay. Tiny.

I don't mean this rudely, I'm genuinely wondering, is it really peace and quiet? Maybe this is just your outlet to take about it, but considering how much you post about it, it seems to be front and center always, which is generally what happens when ppl heavily restrict.

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 12:25 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I don't mean this rudely, I'm genuinely wondering, is it really peace and quiet? Maybe this is just your outlet to take about it, but considering how much you post about it, it seems to be front and center always, which is generally what happens when ppl heavily restrict.

I think Andrea is passionate because she sees how much it helped her so she wants to help others, not because she feels deprived. I can relate because I know how good I feel & how happy my body is when I go low carb. I am sure she is not having a single craving, because once you get the carbs out of your system there is absolutely no cravings anymore. It takes a while to break it through in beginning & might have carb withdrawal symptoms but once you get through that you feel like a different person.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 1:12 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

I don’t think your comment was rude. Truthfully, there are a disproportionate number of people on here suffering. I know what worked for me. I was THE most desperate, hopeless person you’d even imagine meeting. I’m not anymore. I’m happy, and healthy. I know the answer that worked for me and I share it.

I have helped many people. I do it for free. Rarely does a day go by where someone doesn’t call me or message me or ask my assistance. I’d say it’s be cause I share openly and freely. I get stopped in the grocery store, at shul, you name it. People like me don’t lose weight and maintain it. But I have. So I guess it tells people they can do it too.

My peace and quiet is having a message that I am not dying from overeating or carb addiction. You are most welcome to read me or not.

I WISH SOME LOUD MOUTH HAD TILD ME THE WHOLE STORY THIRTY YEARS AGO. It’d have saved me a lot of suffering! Originally I shared so if I could help one person. Now, it’s somewhere around 90. Yup. I’m loud and I’m relieved and I shout from roof tops. Cause I was half in my grave and now I’m not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise