Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The Greatest Showman

medola

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 4:51 pm
Is the greatest showman appropriate to watch with the entire family? Kids 2-10.

We’re BT/MO

We love the soundtrack and listen to it in the car but still haven’t watched the movie.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 4:56 pm
I wouldn't.
I really enjoyed it. As I was watching it I was thinking it's such fun, my kids would enjoy it. But there was something about it that made me uncomfortable when I thought of my kids watching it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 5:14 pm
I wouldn’t, but then again, I am not MO.
I honestly don’t see the problem. There is romance, but nothing more than a kiss. OTOH, there is one instance where he kisses a lady who isn’t his wife. Nah, so on second thought, no.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 6:05 pm
It’s a pretty tame movie. I let my 7 and 8 year old watch it.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 6:38 pm
Also BT/MO here - I saw it on the recommendation of my college-age daughter, who loved it. I enjoyed it, but I doubt it would be interesting for younger children. It's mostly clean and cleaner than most, but there is the matter of the aforementioned kiss (fictional, by the way) plus the skimpy costume of one of the female performers. The bar and fight scenes are highly choreographed and cartoon-y, but some children and/or parents may find the existence of such scenes disturbing. The way Barnum used both the performers and the public is painted in a generally positive light, but could be seen in other ways in real life. So, while I would certainly give the film a passing grade in terms of language/violence/romance, overall I don't see it as great for youngsters. However, if you just want to see it to sing along with family-favorite songs and appreciate the big production numbers without sweating every detail, I'd say it's harmless.

chicco

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 7:11 pm
I am horrified people let their kids watch this. Forget frum people. But clearly I am in the minority. There are very explicit s-xual innuendos, a struggle of a possible affair... I have no idea why the PG rating.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 7:21 pm
I watched it with my kids- unfortunately. Big mistake. So much of it was fun and cool but what turned me off the most was the big lady, with a beard, and huge chest (ahem!) dancing around. Pretty disgusting actually.
CertAin thematic elements also not appropriate.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 7:55 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I watched it with my kids- unfortunately. Big mistake. So much of it was fun and cool but what turned me off the most was the big lady, with a beard, and huge chest (ahem!) dancing around. Pretty disgusting actually.
CertAin thematic elements also not appropriate.

That's the problem with so many of today's shows and movies. Everything needs to include a person who's gay, lesbian or trans.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:00 pm
asmileaday wrote:
That's the problem with so many of today's shows and movies. Everything needs to include a person who's gay, lesbian or trans.

I didn’t watch the movie, but back in the day, a bearded woman was just that- a woman with a feature that qualified her to be part of a “freak show”, ie, circus. It has nothing to do with LGBT.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:40 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I didn’t watch the movie, but back in the day, a bearded woman was just that- a woman with a feature that qualified her to be part of a “freak show”, ie, circus. It has nothing to do with LGBT.

It does now. "This is me" is the bearded lady's song, and is all about being accepted and confident even/especially when the world finds you weird.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
It does now. "This is me" is the bearded lady's song, and is all about being accepted and confident even/especially when the world finds you weird.

A beard paired with big knockers has always been weird. The song This is Me is about embracing oneself no matter what. She (the character in the film) definitely didn't do anything to make her beard grow. If she knew how to do that, millions of men around the world wouldn't be walking around bald.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:06 pm

What?!? She was very clearly a woman who identified as a woman but happened to have a beard. She just wanted to be accepted as a woman despite her oddities.

I can tell an LGBT from the moment I see one- in a movie or real life- and this had no vibes of anything like that. I think your overthinking things.

True they were many problematic scenes in this movie and many inappropriate costumes especially the dancers and I definitely didn’t like the fact that PT Barnum- a married man kissed a different woman- and I would not want my little children watch it but for other purposes, nothing to do with LGBT.

Shame though because those songs are amazing.

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:19 pm
Ppl... PT didn't kiss Jenny. Jenny kissed him and he pulled back!

And yes, PT was a schmuck. But you know what... There are schmucks in the world. And there is kissing and violence and skimpy clothes.

And there are "freaks" but they are also all ppl who deserve kindness and compassion.
Trust me. This movie is way tamer compared to what PT actually did.

It's amazing, beautiful, and a powerful story.

And yes, you can watch "this is me" and consider it an LGBT anthem... They did the same for "let it go" him frozen... Do you stop kids from watching Frozen?

Most kids won't get that anyways! The adult stuff is made to go over their heads.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 1:58 pm
Many kids have seen it in my MO community.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 2:02 pm

That song and that character has zero to do with LGBT.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 2:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A beard paired with big knockers has always been weird. The song This is Me is about embracing oneself no matter what. She (the character in the film) definitely didn't do anything to make her beard grow. If she knew how to do that, millions of men around the world wouldn't be walking around bald.

Exactly. She was actually a real person. Imagine how painful it must have been to be her.

In answer to ops question. I’ve never seen it yet although I own it. I love all the songs and know them all by heart. My kids have seen and love it. But then again, I let my kids watch Teen nick. So its up to each person individually to decide.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 3:31 pm
The bearded lady had PCOS. How many times have people here asked for laser recommendations for chin hair or mustaches? PCOS also causes extreme weight gain that is diet resistant. http://www.hookedupon.com/pcos.....toms/

You can restrict your children from watching anything that offends your sensibilities, but at least understand what is upsetting you.

DD and I thought the movie was beautiful, life affirming, and gave us a lot to talk about later. The acrobatics/high wire scene was all absolutely stunning, and we loved the music.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 4:43 pm
medola wrote:
Is the greatest showman appropriate to watch with the entire family? Kids 2-10.

We’re BT/MO

We love the soundtrack and listen to it in the car but still haven’t watched the movie.

I've seen it but I wouldn't show it to younger children.
I am anti censorship and pro age appropriateness for media.
I don't believe it is age appropriate for the entire family of young kids.
I would HIGHLY recommend you watch the new Dumbo by Tim Burton instead.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 6:53 am
My kids (ages 5-11) have all seen it. I thought it was boring but they enjoyed it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics