Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you use to cover your counters (24"-26")?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 1:33 pm

Whats easy to put on, and neat looking, and easy to wipe spills?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Whats easy to put on, and neat looking, and easy to wipe spills?

https://www.containerstore.com.....00688

Mine is more than 15 years old, and still fine. Its also easy to store.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 1:52 pm
I put on self-stick vinyl floor tiles over a layer of foil so the glue doesn't stick to the counter. They come in 12x12 so they are easy to size, and can easily be cut or broken into smaller pieces (use a razor and snap at the line).

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 2:54 pm
Linoleum remnants. Last forever.

forgetit

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 3:12 pm
Piece of wood or heavy corrugated plastic.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 3:37 pm
I got smooth wallboard from Home Depot and had a handyman cut it to size. Stores against the wall in the basement (doesn't roll up, which might be either good or bad depending on your storage situation).

sra

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 3:39 pm
I get the thick plastic boards they sell locally

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 3:59 pm
Linoleum. Works and stores beautifully.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 4:24 pm
sra wrote:
I get the thick plastic boards they sell locally

(I already bought plastic by the roll for this year but I can use it for other things.).

I see the plastic boards all over the place, but I wonder what happens when spills and gooey stuff gets between two pieces? Do you tape pieces together to avoid spills going in between 2 pieces?

How easy is it to cut to size? Is there a website that shows what sizes it comes in, and how much each piece is?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 4:30 pm
Buy big enough boards so you can do a cutout of the shape of your counters without a bunch of pieces. No taping together or taping the pieces down.
Only fold down tape around the edges of each piece to close up the sides. The tape stays there and we only cut out new boards every few years. It's a job to do the cutouts neatly around the sinks (and be careful with that razer) but worth it.

notna

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 4:42 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Linoleum. Works and stores beautifully.

How do you cut it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Buy big enough boards so you can do a cutout of the shape of your counters without a bunch of pieces. No taping together or taping the pieces down.
Only fold down tape around the edges of each piece to close up the sides. The tape stays there and we only cut out new boards every few years. It's a job to do the cutouts neatly around the sinks (and be careful with that razer) but worth it.

How do you work it if you have an "L" shaped return on the bottom cabinets? (Mine is way smaller than photo, but I dont think they make them in big enough pieces, without needing to cut and connect 2 pieces.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you work it if you have an "L" shaped return on the bottom cabinets? (Mine is way smaller than photo, but I dont think they make them in big enough pieces, without needing to cut and connect 2 pieces.

I have 2 L shapes. I buy 2 big squares instead of the sheets that are usually 24". The squares are what I use for the corners and they extend further to cover some more of the counter surface too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I have 2 L shapes. I buy 2 big squares instead of the sheets that are usually 24". The squares are what I use for the corners and they extend further to cover some more of the counter surface too.

Unless I get a 36" X 50" inch piece, I have to cut and join somewhere.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unless I get a 36" X 50" inch piece, I have to cut and join somewhere.

Of course I use a regular 24" length piece to use between the two squares. But no taping or little pieces are necessary.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:40 pm
We tape with painters tape. Still looks new after 11 years.

renslet

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 5:43 pm
This year my sister in law told me about foam sheets. The type used in kindergarten but much bigger pieces, wipes clean and so simple to use. I'm planning on putting a few leftover floor tiles on top in some places for hot pots

sub

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:35 pm
We use the heavy duty white plastic tablecloth which is sold by the yard. You should be able to find it in a local hardware/homegoods store. It’s wide enough to go five or so inches up as a back splash. And hang over the edge of the counter and a little into the sink No seems necessary. Easy to cut. No smells, no food creeping under, easy to clean. End of yom tov throw away. Not expensive.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:41 pm
notna wrote:
How do you cut it?

I cut it five years ago with a scissor or razor don't remember but wasn't hard. I tape it down and roll it up after pesach. I use it from year to year.

DallasIma

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 8:47 pm
Every few years I get a huge roll of Reynolds Extra-Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil from Amazon. Much thicker than regular foil, much harder to rip holes in, keeps its shape when you put it on a surface, you don't have to tape the pieces together, and when I'm done with it I can throw it away and not have to worry about storing it somewhere (other than the roll itself). I've been using it for years and am very happy with it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics