Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you buy fruits & veggies by "nonkosher" store on pesach?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:05 pm
I understand when you live in Monsey for example, the fruits and veggies there were not a bomb and they had everything I need.
Now living in Miami, they aren't stocked like Evergreen, so I was wondering is it okay even, or do people do buy their fruits and vegetables at stop and shop lets say or costco during Pesach?!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:07 pm
I live inMonsey and I plan on going to NJ to a farmers market to shop for fruits and veggies where it will be fresher and cheaper than Evergreen.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:16 pm
Sure!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:19 pm
What do you think is the difference between produce at a kosher supermarket and produce sold elsewhere?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:40 pm
you know that the fruits and veggies in the ‘jewish’ stores were all picked, packed, handled and transported by non-jews, right?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:42 pm
I live in monsey and get my fruit and veggies at Costco, target, and foodmart. Fruits and veggies can be bought anywhere.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:44 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
What do you think is the difference between produce at a kosher supermarket and produce sold elsewhere?

The Rabbi blessed it!!!

Just kidding. I couldn't help myself.
My coworkers think that is how food is made kosher. They have even asked at staff parties if maybe the Rabbi can come and bless the pepperoni pizza so I can have a slice too. (I work in a hospital so we do have a Jewish chaplain floating around).

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 11:05 pm
The difference is the waxing.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:00 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
The difference is the waxing.

??? They all buy from the same distributors. You can choose to peel it or wash it or whatever else you want, but the actual produce is identical.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:14 am
All fruits and vegetables pretty much come from the same farms... remember the whole "Romaine Lettuce E-Coli Scare"? It was one area in Arizona whose lettuce hit how many different states?
It doesn't matter where you buy your fruits and vegetables from. Either way- you should definitely wash it before you use it.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:23 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
??? They all buy from the same distributors. You can choose to peel it or wash it or whatever else you want, but the actual produce is identical.

You are wrong. There are differences. The distributers can sell different types of apples for instance. The produce is unwaxed for Pesach. Some won't eat food that's been waxed. My neighbors are fussy and will only eat food from specific stores.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:28 am
We peel all of our fruits and vegetables, so it wouldn’t make a difference.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:29 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
You are wrong. There are differences. The distributers can sell different types of apples for instance. The produce is unwaxed for Pesach. Some won't eat food that's been waxed. My neighbors are fussy and will only eat food from specific stores.

Some stores bring a small selection of unwaxed fruits, but they all carry a large selection of the regular waxed fruits - which is the same in any store, Jewish or non-Jewish.

So for those few who particularly want the unwaxed fruits, for them it makes a difference where they shop. For the large majority, it makes no difference at all.

Teomima

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:57 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

If one cares about it being unwaxed, then why not buy from a farmer's market or csa? There's still no reason it has to be a specifically Jewish store.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:08 am
In Israel, year round you need to be aware if the store has taken terumah and maaser yet.

Other than that, I don't see a difference.

Slightly OT, but I've been wondering about this - if you are makpid to only use fruits and vegetables that can be peeled, how do you make an exception for lettuce? Do you use romaine at your seder, or something else that can be peeled instead, like a radish?

Plonis

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 3:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
In Israel, year round you need to be aware if the store has taken terumah and maaser yet.

Other than that, I don't see a difference.

Slightly OT, but I've been wondering about this - if you are makpid to only use fruits and vegetables that can be peeled, how do you make an exception for lettuce? Do you use romaine at your seder, or something else that can be peeled instead, like a radish?

No, we use romaine for the seder. Some ONLY use for the seder, others will also use the rest of Pesach.

I look at it as Hashem having built checks and balances into the system. Hashem keeps us from going overboard.

Stay far, far away from chometz... but eat a food made of flour and water that can't take more than 18 minutes to finish. As close to chometz as you can get.

Clean your whole house from chometz... but have Purim just a month before, full of crumbs and nosh galore.

Peel all your fruits and vegetables in case chometz came in contact with the peel... but eat unpeelable romaine lettuce on Pesach.

This helps us ensure that our mitzvos are coming because of HASHEM, not because of our own extremist tendencies, and makes sure that we put Hakadosh Baruch Hu before our own ideas of perfection.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 9:00 am
Yes, and I've run into some very machmir people who do too.
As with everywhere, check certain food items, e.g. peppers, for countries of origin.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I understand when you live in Monsey for example, the fruits and veggies there were not a bomb and they had everything I need.
Now living in Miami, they aren't stocked like Evergreen, so I was wondering is it okay even, or do people do buy their fruits and vegetables at stop and shop lets say or costco during Pesach?!

What do you mean by the bolded "not a bomb"???

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:12 am
I live in Monsey and plan on going to restaurant Depot, coctco, stop and shop maybe.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
What do you mean by the bolded "not a bomb"???

She means not expensive, I believe
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics