Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Got a ticket for holding my phone
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:18 am
OP, about a year ago I got a ticket for the same thing, not in NJ but still the same ticket. I was fined 1000 shekels and I believe 4 points on my license. I was actually crying (I could not contain it, I know, bad, but it happened). The police was nice. He explained to me that you are not allowed, under ANY circumstance, to be HOLDING a phone while the car is in motion.
And it does not matter what the reason was that you were holding it. I actually was on my way to an appointment at a hospital. It did not matter why I was holding the phone either. I was in the wrong. There is no going to court here for that. I could have fought it, but I didnt. I was in the wrong.

OP, learn from this going forward. If you need to be holding your phone for ANY reason, pull over or dont start driving until the phone is put down. Also, if you need to answer and you dont have a hands free device, pull over.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 7:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, now I get it. I can see why the cop would be suspicious, though. I hope things work out for you.

There were no suspicions involved. I showed him I had not been using it and he agreed with me. He said it makes no difference though. I guess it’s a lesson learned for the future.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 7:13 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP, about a year ago I got a ticket for the same thing, not in NJ but still the same ticket. I was fined 1000 shekels and I believe 4 points on my license. I was actually crying (I could not contain it, I know, bad, but it happened). The police was nice. He explained to me that you are not allowed, under ANY circumstance, to be HOLDING a phone while the car is in motion.
And it does not matter what the reason was that you were holding it. I actually was on my way to an appointment at a hospital. It did not matter why I was holding the phone either. I was in the wrong. There is no going to court here for that. I could have fought it, but I didnt. I was in the wrong.

OP, learn from this going forward. If you need to be holding your phone for ANY reason, pull over or dont start driving until the phone is put down. Also, if you need to answer and you dont have a hands free device, pull over.

Yes I learned my lesson. My phone connects to the car Bluetooth as soon as I turn the engine on. So it never happens that I need to answer with no device

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 7:45 am
DH was once holding his phome (not to his ear) and talking to his mom on speaker (was an emergency, his young father had a stroke). A cop was able to shoot radar so that DH shouldn't be able to end the call or shut the phone so the cop would have proof that he spoke on the phone!! I never knew they can do this.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 7:52 am
OP.... You might want to look into a a phone stand, if there is no place for your phone. I have a magnetic one and it's amazing.

Niiom Universal Mount Magnetic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075.....share

Also, for times I fly somewhere and rent a car I have these. Much easier to take with me.

Car Mount, Maxboost [2 Pack]... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M.....share

You can also always buy extra magnets and stuff.

I admit to still sometimes touching my phone like at red lights and while I'm a at the Starbucks drive through. I've never been caught... But I know is not really right... I'm sorry.

In NJ though sometimes you can get no political in exchange for a larger fine.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 8:39 am
Bh there are no points in NJ. It’s a $200 ticket. Not the worst thing ever. Just upsetting because I don’t use my phone. I will definitely order the mount from your link. Thank you

groisamomma

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bh there are no points in NJ. It’s a $200 ticket. Not the worst thing ever. Just upsetting because I don’t use my phone. I will definitely order the mount from your link. Thank you

No points in NJ?? Not the NJ I live in! I got some cell phone tickets and my points piled up.

What am I doing wrong?

doctorima

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:51 pm
groisamomma wrote:
No points in NJ?? Not the NJ I live in! I got some cell phone tickets and my points piled up.

What am I doing wrong?

This site seems to say no points for the first 2 violations in NJ:
http://pufflaw.com/2017/02/21/.....97-3/

It's not an official government site, but I would assume a traffic lawyer would know the basic guidelines, and it's the first site that came up when I googled points for NJ cell phone ticket.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It goes on your record for ten years. But a lawyer costs $2500 and the ticket is only $200. I really don’t use my phone when driving so not very nervous about a second offense.
I’m wondering more about the fact that the offense is use of a phone and I was not using it. Does that make a difference?
Also, the amother who said she went to trial - does that mean you showed up to court twice?

Yes I went to court twice, but my ticket was thrown out at the end so no points or fine bh.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:02 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I think your lucky the cop didn't show up because your "proof" that you didn't use your phone is kind of .....pathetic. Your phone bill might demonstrate that you weren't on a phone call but there are 10 other things you could have been doing with your phone. Using the internet, checking email, looking at pictures, dialing a number, ect. It would have been foolish of you to produce your phone bill as proof you weren't using your phone.

Thanks for calling me pathetic. What a nasty comment.
First of all there were ten trials that day and no cops showed. Most cops don't. When I went to please bargain the first time, they told me he probably wouldn't show. Second of all, the cop knew good and well I wasn't on it because I had a long conversation with him when he stopped me and even showed him that the phone screen was idle and that no text/phone calls/ WhatsApps had gone out or came in for the five minutes before. He told me he was giving me the ticket since it was a brand new law that came out that week and even though I was just picking it up (I was in a different car than mine and the phone fell from a pocket it was in) he decided to give it to me. I hadn't heard a bout the law. He himself told me that the judge would probably be lenient since I hadn't had any to tickets and a clean license in 10 years.

And for your information my phone is always on. Magnetic stand and I always use Bluetooth. I don't text when I am driving ever.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:03 pm
Rules vary by state. Here in Maryland you can use the cellphone as a GPS and there's also an exemption for emergency 911-type calls: https://www.drivinglaws.org/re......html

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 11:46 pm
I’m finding this interesting. Did anyone else here try taking it to trial instead of pleading guilty? Specifically in Lakewood? Did you have the same outcome as the poster who said the cop didn’t show up? If you did please let me know!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics