Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Ways to cover hair
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:11 pm
Please help me find ways to start liking this mitzvah (or at least tolerate it better).

I'm self-conscious in sheitels that are recognizable as sheitels. I don't like the wrapunzel look (on me) even though some people look great in it. I need something that looks natural but it also needs to be very easy to do, because I'm not talented enough to do fancy wrapping or tying. Something along the lines of a pre-tied tichel with clip in bangs might work best, but even that's hard to get right. Ugh. I've been married several years and this is still a really frustrating mitzvah for me. Any ideas? I feel ugly covering my hair. :-(

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:24 pm
I feel you, OP. I was the same way. I eventually spent a small fortune to get something I loved and I don't regret it at all. Obviously not everyone can spend a couple thousand a new wig. However when I was at the sheitel macher she showed me a double deep lace that looked amazing- like you couldn't tell it was a wig. Maybe adding something like that to your current wig could help?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 7:49 pm
Can you budget for more wash and sets at a wig salon? You could have them set the wigs with different styles have fun with waves, curls pony tails etc. I buy inexpensive wigs and try different cuts and styles and various shades.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 11 2019, 10:39 pm
Would a better wig make a difference, or is it wigs in general that bother you? Is it a problem with the fit? In my experience, comfort is the number one consideration in choosing a hair covering. If the fit is bad, it doesn't matter how gorgeous the hair is.

I wear pretieds at home, or if I have to run across the street for milk. Otherwise I wear a pretty scarf - just one, no fancy triple layers.

I have a band fall wig that is very comfortable, you might want to try one on and see how you feel about it. I only wear it for special occasions.

Another thing is to look into Parkhurst Hats. Many of the styles offer complete hair coverage. I have several of the cotton ones, and the last forever. You can just throw them in the washing machine and they come out perfect every time. https://www.headcovers.com/hea.....14283

teachkids

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 2:51 am
Try a scarf or hat over a fall and see if you like the look

heidi

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 3:57 am
Try a yarmulke fall.
Basically sits on top of your head and you pull out your hair in front. Looks really natural.
Kidding
Just trying to see if Yael is too busy Pesach cleaning to erase my post:)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:06 am
I was like you for years. Felt self conscious in anything that was obviously a hair covering, including wiggy looking shaitels. I just wanted to look natural. I know this is unpopular but I eventually stopped covering completely. Feel much more attractive to my husband and much more feminine. Hair covering made me feel masculine.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:42 am
Try a hat over a hat fall. It's comfortable and the only thing that makes me feel like me.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 4:49 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I was like you for years. Felt self conscious in anything that was obviously a hair covering, including wiggy looking shaitels. I just wanted to look natural. I know this is unpopular but I eventually stopped covering completely. Feel much more attractive to my husband and much more feminine. Hair covering made me feel masculine.

Unpopular? Um... What This is a frum site.

I’m not judging but I don’t think it’s good advice to give to someone who is looking for a solution.

Op you said you don’t like “wiggy” wigs. Nowadays you can get a lace front or even a lace cap that looks extremely natural. Look up Dini Wigs in IG for a better idea.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:40 am
SuperWify wrote:

I’m not judging but I don’t think it’s good advice to give to someone who is looking for a solution.

I still consider myself frum. MO and frum.
I tried to find solutions before ditching haircoveing but in all honesty, I still felt unattractive. I looked older. I didn’t look feminine. Wigs are only a part time look. Even the most beautiful wigs. No one can wear them all day and every day. I didn’t like lounging around in hats or scarves the times I wasn’t wearing my wig. And the older I get the more I realize that I need the look of my own hair to feel attractive, feminine and youthful.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 6:10 am
I have found that a long rectangular scarf, crossed over and knotted on one side, is the easiest to tie and wear, and looks the most natural and flattering on many people. Not wrapunzel-esque at all, although that's nice for those who want. I use a plain cotton snood to keep my hair together and keep the scarf from sliding.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 7:08 am
SuperWify wrote:

Op you said you don’t like “wiggy” wigs. Nowadays you can get a lace front or even a lace cap that looks extremely natural. Look up Dini Wigs in IG for a better idea.

But why publically embarrass amother Lawngreen by calling her out on her post? Last I looked this was a frum site and publically pointing out someone else’s mistakes is forbidden in Halacha. Oh wait, isn’t that what I have just done too now? 🤔

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 7:50 am
There's nothing masculine about a wig

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 8:02 am
I just wear a slouch beanie when I have to cover my head. I have side bangs so I keep those out and just tuck everything else under. I don’t wear a wig or tichel. Not sure what I’ll do in summer because neither wig nor tichel is an option for me.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 8:09 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I feel you, OP. I was the same way. I eventually spent a small fortune to get something I loved and I don't regret it at all. Obviously not everyone can spend a couple thousand a new wig. However when I was at the sheitel macher she showed me a double deep lace that looked amazing- like you couldn't tell it was a wig. Maybe adding something like that to your current wig could help?
what brand? which sheitel macher?

csa123

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:16 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Yafi Kaminer from Chani Kramer- was amazing to work with and for the first time in my married life I finally feel like myself.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:16 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Yafi Kaminer from Chani Kramer- was amazing to work with and for the first time in my married life I finally feel like myself.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 10:59 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I still consider myself frum. MO and frum.
I tried to find solutions before ditching haircoveing but in all honesty, I still felt unattractive. I looked older. I didn’t look feminine. Wigs are only a part time look. Even the most beautiful wigs. No one can wear them all day and every day. I didn’t like lounging around in hats or scarves the times I wasn’t wearing my wig. And the older I get the more I realize that I need the look of my own hair to feel attractive, feminine and youthful.

Like I said, I’m not judging. You do you.
I have many MO relatives that don’t cover either.

But I don’t think we should encourage op to uncover.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:00 am
Ruchel wrote:
There's nothing masculine about a wig

As she said she couldn’t wear it 24/7.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
But why publically embarrass amother Lawngreen by calling her out on her post? Last I looked this was a frum site and publically pointing out someone else’s mistakes is forbidden in Halacha. Oh wait, isn’t that what I have just done too now? 🤔

**No comment.**
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics