Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you enjoy Pesach cooking?
1  2  Next

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:10 am
I confess. I love yom tov cooking. Hiding I love cooking while the guys are in shul and having them come home to fresh cooked meals. It's seems to me to be the same amount of work or even a little bit more if you do or in advance.

I missed the memo why it is so good to cook and freeze. I rather cook when I am not being pulled to clean or shop or drive or whatever.

Anyone else really enjoy cooking on Pesach? I can't be the only one.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:17 am
I love cooking. But don't enjoy cooking on YT.
I prefer to sleep late on YT, relax, and have the house clean. Smile
I used to cook on YT. I grew up with food being cooked fresh but the stress was not for me. I have learned what foods do well in advance. The only things I freeze are chicken soup and sliced roast. And baked goods, which my family likes to enjoy frozen, straight from the freezer!

little neshamala

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:19 am
Nope sorry totally dont agree with you here Very Happy
To me theres nothing better than relaxing and having no work to do. Yom tov is my vacation! Which is really how my yom tov works out, when I make everything in advance. All I need to do is remember which pan to put on the hot plate, set the table, and kick back with a good book!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:31 am
B"H I enjoy cooking and baking. I don't know how I'd get through otherwise.
But add me to the group who likes to cook as much as possible in advance. (Including marinated salads, salad dressings.)
I'm at a point where I can go to shul. If there are no grandchildren visiting for me to do early morning Bubby duty for, or if the mommy's up anyway, I enjoy going.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:36 am
No, I don't like cooking on yom tov. I like to put dirty dishes in dishwasher. Also, with little kids I can only cook at night- but on yom tov that means waiting until really late.

cm

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:40 am
I like going to shul. I don't want to miss any of the special laining or davening.

There are some tasks in the kitchen which are difficult or impossible on yom tov, and this year Shabbat is in the mix. I don't do a lot of cooking in advance, though. I assemble as much as possible in advance and put the food in the oven on yom tov. There are some very simple meals which I don't mind making on yom tov, such as matzah lasagne or matzah brie. And I like to make salads as fresh as possible, and that's enough potchkying on a holiday for me.

ETA I opened this thread because I do love Pesach cooking, just not specifically on Yom Tov. I look forward to our Pesach menus and using my Pesach kitchen stuff in my deep-cleaned kitchen. I don't mind the cleaning, I don't knock myself out cooking, and every meal is a joy.

Last edited by cm on Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:41 am
Squishy wrote:
I confess. I love yom tov cooking. Hiding I love cooking while the guys are in shul and having them come home to fresh cooked meals. It's seems to me to be the same amount of work or even a little bit more if you do or in advance.

I missed the memo why it is so good to cook and freeze. I rather cook when I am not being pulled to clean or shop or drive or whatever.

Me and you, the very tiny minority.

I like cooking on Yom Tov because - 1. I don't want the pressure to do everything before. 2. My family likes fresh food. 3. I feel like when I cook in advance, like you said, its twice the work. 4. I like cooking Yom tov morning when it's nice and quiet - younger kids play nicely, older kids are in shul. 5. I'm getting too old to stay up till 2 am cooking (and I've been too old since I was 30!).

I do cook some things in advance but I also cook on Yom Tov. Especially roast, potatoes, and vegetables.

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 11:54 am
I cook everything in advance, meaning in the week before Pesach (I cook again for chol hamoed and second days separately). I enjoy some parts as I find I’m more creative with Pesach cooking, but it really exhausts me.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:13 pm
I prefer cooking what I can before Yom Tov but I do end up cooking on yom Tov a lot. However , I don't keep an oven on on Yom Tov so its actually stressful to cook with one tiny flame. I prefer to do as much in advance as possible and things like mashed potatoes or fried foods , I make fresh. But I'd much prefer to stick my face in a book while sitting on the couch on Yom Tov instead of manning the stove.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:17 pm
I love cooking pesach! But I don't cook on yom tov, it's too exhausting for me.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:32 pm
Yes. Much more than Succastime. I don’t use many ingredients and make the same successful simple dishes every year. Because I am limited I don’t have the urge to try fancy new recipes every year. I do try to cook what I can before yom tov though.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 12:39 pm
Squishy wrote:

No real chance of that this year, unfortunately, with Shabbat being the first day.

I don't love cooking at all. But I do prefer to prepare things just before eating, rather than freeze (or not) and reheat; it just tastes better IMNSHO.

In general, for 2-day chagim, we have smaller, lighter lunches, in anticipation of the Big Festive Meal, so I wouldn't be preparing all morning instead of shul in any case.

icebreaker

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:26 pm
I don't like cooking in general so no lol.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:31 pm
I agree with mommyg8. Every yomtov I feel older and older lol. With a full time job and little kids I can’t do the cooking marathon anymore. So I set aside an hour on yomtov morning to cook and then I can go back to relaxing.

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:35 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I prefer cooking what I can before Yom Tov but I do end up cooking on yom Tov a lot. However , I don't keep an oven on on Yom Tov so its actually stressful to cook with one tiny flame. I prefer to do as much in advance as possible and things like mashed potatoes or fried foods , I make fresh. But I'd much prefer to stick my face in a book while sitting on the couch on Yom Tov instead of manning the stove.

Why one tiny flame? I leave 2 low flames on and cook away.... I don't like the preYomtov cooking marathon and prefer to spread it out. My family definitely appreciates fresh food and salads.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:39 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Me and you, the very tiny minority.

I like cooking on Yom Tov because - 1. I don't want the pressure to do everything before. 2. My family likes fresh food. 3. I feel like when I cook in advance, like you said, its twice the work. 4. I like cooking Yom tov morning when it's nice and quiet - younger kids play nicely, older kids are in shul. 5. I'm getting too old to stay up till 2 am cooking (and I've been too old since I was 30!).

I do cook some things in advance but I also cook on Yom Tov. Especially roast, potatoes, and vegetables.

And me. The truth is I have come to love cooking. Super intellectual high school me would be shocked.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:39 pm
It is is just better fresh.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:46 pm
My she has fears of keeping fires on for so long so all I have on yom tov is the crock pot and hot plate both on timers so they don’t run straight.
I cook all food before yom tov and rewarm for each meal what’s needed.
I’m fine with that since I enjoy relaxing and not having a mess on yom tov.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:48 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
Why one tiny flame? I leave 2 low flames on and cook away.... I don't like the preYomtov cooking marathon and prefer to spread it out. My family definitely appreciates fresh food and salads.

Because my house gets too hot otherwise.

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 1:51 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Because my house gets too hot otherwise.

Do you leave your oven on?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics