Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
For all who are making Pesach w/o money tell me you secret
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:41 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I agree. The Viznitz Monsey Rebbe ztz''l often said that he ate machine matza until his bar mitzva. If it was good enough for the scion of Viznitz, it should be good enough for our children too.

This is so interesting because my FIL adopted few Viznitz minhagim for Pesach and he eats machine matzah if they can't afford hand matzah. My DH started doing that too to follow his father. I wonder if my FIL knew this about the Viznitz Rebbe . Thanks for sharing.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:44 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I agree, princessleah, although I think I stop at the kitniyot heter. That has been a strong minhag for hundreds of years. It's hard to say that machine matzo was not allowed hundreds of years ago when machines didn't exist.
I was about to write that I am surprised that rabbis would rather have people accept tzedakah, and use the limited tzadakah pool, to have people eat shmura matzo other than at the seder, but not much surprises me anymore.

The Sanzer Rebbe called machine matzah chometz . So you have all kinds of view points in regard to Machine Matzah vs. hand matzah.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:44 pm
Pesach is all about tradition - traditions from the time we came out of Egypt even. Not something to sneeze at or say is unimportant.
Without our traditions, we wouldn't be here today.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:53 pm
Eating machine matzah is not the same as kitniyos. I mean, when my grandmother was living in Germany in the 1930s and shechitah had been outlawed and there was a food shortage anyway, the rabbanim gave a special heter to eat kitniyos on Pesach, I guess peas and beans mainly, don't know if they even had rice. Otherwise, they would truly have gone hungry.
Thank G-d, we are not living in times like that.
I see hand matzah only as more of a chumrah type of minhag.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:56 pm
Its actually a minhag to do minhagim on pesach. Ldor vador.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:02 pm
princessleah wrote:
This may be somewhat controversial, but I really believe, that for anyone who is having trouble making yom tov because of financial constraints, they should be given a heter to eat machine matzah. Or if not that, gebrokts. Or if not that, kitniyot. It is getting harder and harder. If you're not willing to give up the shmura (or hand-shmura), at least fill up on rice and beans. And frankly the leaders and rabbonim should be making sure that everyone should have the means to make pesach and if they don't, they should be giving out heterim like flyers on a street corner.

I was at Stop and Shop yesterday and they had a coupon where you could get 5 boxes of machine matzah FOR FREE.

Apart from the people on this group, I don't know a soul who doesn't eat machine matzo. So while it may be considered a "heter" for some, its clearly accepted by others.

But people don't want heters. They want to make Pesach the way they make Pesach. They don't want to be told "well, you're really not supposed to eat rice and beans. But, nebach, you're poor. So you go ahead. Us rich folks don't do that, though."

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:16 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Produce is easily $200 for our family of 6.
I start off with 30 lbs potatoes for the first days and I usually need more by the time the end days roll around. Each 9x13 Kugel is 5lbs of potatoes right there. Chremslach is another 5 lbs.
Latkes another 5lb etc. it uses up easily.
I stopped buying a case of apples to make apple sauce because apples have become expensive in the last few years .
I plan on shopping at a farmers market this year for the first time and I'm curious to see how much it'll cost me. Over the years I realized we spend around $1,000-$1200 (excluding matzah and cakes) on basic food.
Please post what you purchased and prices is love to compare.

I ended up spending $92 and will need to fill in a few more things at the supermarket, not more than $25 worth probably.
I don’t make potato kugel. The potato recipes I make are doughless knishes, roasted diced potatoes with sautéed onions, and I use mashed potatoes for a quiche crust. I guess that stretches them farther than kugel.
Will check my receipt later for other amounts but I know I bought 8 5 lb bags of potatoes at $1.50 a bag.

princessleah

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:40 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The Sanzer Rebbe called machine matzah chometz . So you have all kinds of view points in regard to Machine Matzah vs. hand matzah.

I understand, I am a direct descendent of the Sanzer Rebbe and we only ever eat hand shmura. But lately I have been giving my kids machine matzah and nobody bats an eye. It’s not considered chametz in the house.

princessleah

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:42 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Apart from the people on this group, I don't know a soul who doesn't eat machine matzo. So while it may be considered a "heter" for some, its clearly accepted by others.

But people don't want heters. They want to make Pesach the way they make Pesach. They don't want to be told "well, you're really not supposed to eat rice and beans. But, nebach, you're poor. So you go ahead. Us rich folks don't do that, though."

Ok I hear this. It might be helpful to across the board say, for those having any financial difficulty, we declare a blanket heter for XX (gebrokts, machine shmura, etc). Those who could find it helpful are free to rely on it. And then everyone should keep their noses out of their neighbor’s shopping cart!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:46 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Since we ordered the matzah we invited a few more guests so I do think we need some more. But we don’t eat gebrochts so the matzah consumption aside from the sedarim and the last day is minimal.
I honestly don’t know what I would do with 50 pounds of carrots and 30 pounds of apples. Surprised And I know what I’m doing, this is not my first time making Pesach. Everyone will be full and satisfied and happy. I make a lot of variety too.
I get produce from a cheap farmer’s market.
If Pesach cost me $2000 I would have to seriously reevaluate, because I couldn’t afford that. This is what is financially manageable for us and we’re not exactly cutting corners.

I know everyone is picking on u but I mean no offense I’m just genuinely curious - what chicken/ meat/ SALAMON do u get for like 50 portions for 250$ ... where?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:46 pm
I ended up spending $92 and will need to fill in a few more things at the supermarket, not more than $25 worth probably.
I don’t make potato kugel. The potato recipes I make are doughless knishes, roasted diced potatoes with sautéed onions, and I use mashed potatoes for a quiche crust. I guess that stretches them farther than kugel.
Will check my receipt later for other amounts but I know I bought 8 5 lb bags of potatoes at $1.50 a bag.

Off topic, but I'm so curious where you got 5 lbs of potatoes for $1.50?

In any case, it's silly IMHO to ration potatoes as that has to be the most filling and cheapest pesach food. I know what I'm blowing my produce budget on - peppers, squash, radishes, eggplant, tomatoes, kurbies, parsley root, and lettuce.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 6:58 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Off topic, but I'm so curious where you got 5 lbs of potatoes for $1.50?

In any case, it's silly IMHO to ration potatoes as that has to be the most filling and cheapest pesach food. I know what I'm blowing my produce budget on - peppers, squash, radishes, eggplant, tomatoes, kurbies, parsley root, and lettuce.

A farmer’s market.
I don’t ration potatoes, it just happens to be that I don’t make potato kugel, so I was saying that I guess that’s one difference in what I cook.

We peel all our vegetables and fruit on Pesach so I don’t use anything that’s a pain to peel like tomatoes and peppers. We also don’t eat radishes or parsley and don’t really use much lettuce aside from at the sedarim either.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:00 pm
If I couldn't afford shmurah matza, I would probably just get enough for the sedarim, and the minimal amount for lechem mishna at each yom tov seuda.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:05 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I know everyone is picking on u but I mean no offense I’m just genuinely curious - what chicken/ meat/ SALAMON do u get for like 50 portions for 250$ ... where?

I also make gefilte fish and don’t serve salmon at every meal. I bought about 5 pounds of salmon I think, and it was maybe about $8-9 a pound?
Chicken was $1.89/lb.
I bought corned beef and French roast and will serve the meat mostly at the day meals when I have fewer people. So I didn’t buy tons.
I don’t mind the questions. It’s not like I’m doing anything wrong although the interrogation does make it seem like that. Very Happy

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:06 pm

I just came from the farmers market and spent $163.00. They did not have the romaine lettuce that I usually buy so I will need to get that elsewhere , so I'm assuming it will be another $10 or so to cover the lettuce for the sedarim and salads.

The potatoes were also $1.50 for a 5 lb bag

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:12 pm
We’re having 10 people for each seder, and about 6 for all other meals.
I spent
About $250 including meat, chicken, salmon, eggs, grape juice, seltzer, other ingredients, etc (we’re Chabad and don’t use processed foods so it keeps it down, although I did buy some for kids and the days before Pesach).
A bit more than $100 on wine.
$100 on matzah (10 pounds shmurah).
About $50 (didn’t add it up exactly but something like that) on disposable pans and paper goods.
Will probably spend about $80 on produce.
About $20 on kitchen covering supplies.
Will dry clean my husband’s clothes but not buying any new stuff for me or him (did buy my baby some new clothes but he needed them anyway).
I only have an hour of cleaning help a week.

This year I didn’t need to buy any appliances or kitchen things but I bought some new Haggadahs and a matzah cover for $140 altogether.

Total approximately $700. If I had stuck to the absolute basics I could have kept it to about $500. I could imagine a simple Pesach not being radically more expensive for 18 people - more matzah and wine would be the expensive part.

Just curious where you live?

The least expensive shmura matzo we could find was about $20 a pound, but its a brand I know frequently includes broken pieces, and in the past have had trouble salvaging 3 unbroken pieces from a box, so I spent a bit more. (We do shmura for seders only.) Where did you get it for only $10 a pound?

I can't imagine only $250 for meat, chicken, salmon, eggs and other ingredients for a total of 56 dinners (2 seders x 10 people, 6 other dinners x 6 people) and 56 lunches. Especially if you're only spending $80 on produce for the whole holiday.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:13 pm
How much are eggs? Where I live they are 2 dollars a dozen which add up quick

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:14 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I got a case of 15 dozen eggs in Brooklyn for $11.99

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:15 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I just came from the farmers market and spent $163.00. They did not have the romaine lettuce that I usually buy so I will need to get that elsewhere , so I'm assuming it will be another $10 or so to cover the lettuce for the sedarim and salads.

The potatoes were also $1.50 for a 5 lb bag

Okay, that’s within my realm of normal. Very Happy

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 7:18 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Last year I found super cheap eggs but this year I didn’t. They were 3.99 for 30. I bought 6 of those for now.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics