Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Motor tic in 5 year old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 3:10 pm
My 5 year old son recently started moving his neck back. I didn’t think much of it until it became very frequent. Took him to doc and was told it’s a tic and nothing can be done for it and hopefully it will go away. Now he began sometimes kicking his feet back as well as opening the palms of his hands (both these tics not as often as the neck often). No vocal tics. Only motor tics. Started researching online and read about pandas. Doc said it’s a made up thing. I urged him to do full panel bloodwork and got recommendation to a neurologist. Doc doesn’t think he needs one but just trying to make me happy to get more info on it. I read only 50-80 percent of tics go away. I also read that most often it’s associated with ocd, anxiety, adhd. My son doesn’t have any of these. My son isn’t in any pain but I’m so sad watching him go thru these tics. Anyone had similar situation? Did toc go away? Did anyone try natural medicine? Any advice appreciated!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:38 pm
Posting as amother to protect my child's privacy.

My daughter has PANDAS. We struggled for 3 years until diagnosed. Every doctor that we saw brushed me off, ridiculed me, or criticized my parenting. After suffering for 3 years, we finally got one doctor to do a blood panel.

My daughter had not had one case of strep throat since she was 2. When her strep antibodies showed up quite high in her blood, pedi said, oh that's normal for some kids. Despite the fact that she was so symptomatic. Somehow, doctors don't seem to believe in it.

My point is, it's not so easy to find a doctor who believes in PANDAS. I don't know why but it seems to be a very controversial diagnosis in the medical world. I can tell you that my daughter was a different child within 1 week of starting antibiotics.

There's a Pandas Network website with a listing of recommended doctors. Please find someone in your area and get it checked out. It could be nothing but you wouldn't want to miss it if it's not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics