Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Vegan protein for pesach ...
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:48 pm
shout out to ra_mom for her vegan meatball recipe & imasinger for the almond milk idea + those who supported making vegan dishes

also made cauliflower rice with fresh chopped parsley,
avocado chocolate mousse, [sweetened with bananas which I don't suggest] etc,

of course I modify to our taste preferences so I used pecans instead of walnuts for the mockballs & mixed cashews with the almonds for the milk

used the pulp along with medjool dates to make a crust for the mousse, also used some to sweeten the nut milk,

made 3 versions [none of which I eat] of kicheles:
a) egg, milk, matzoh meal
b) egg, almond milk, gluten free matza meal
c) almond milk & matzoh meal
... spoonfuls fried in oil & shaken in a paper bag with sugar and/or eaten with raspberry jam

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:58 pm
What do you do for the seder plate (zeroah)? I always wondered, if u don't mind my asking.

So glad u got good ideas!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:59 pm
Sounds delicious greenfire! You really went all out!

studying_torah wrote:
What do you do for the seder plate (zeroah)? I always wondered, if u don't mind my asking.

So glad u got good ideas!

A beet is usually used.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:05 pm
a beet for zeroah & avocado for egg

but our seder was not vegan oriented

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:13 pm
I thought about this thread when I was going through my cookbooks for inspiration

Excerpt From: Paula Shoyer. “The New Passover Menu

CAULIFLOWER SLABS WITH BASIL PESTO

SERVES 6–8

PREP TIME 10 minutes

COOK TIME 40–45 minutes

ADVANCE PREP May be made 2 days in advance

Every year my mother, Toby Marcus, fries cauliflower dipped in egg and matzoh meal to create a crunchy side dish. This recipe is lighter and healthier, although I always hope that my mother will make the fried version for me. The idea here is to cut large slices of the cauliflower head and then use any crumbs that fall off in the pesto topping.

FOR THE CAULIFLOWER

4 tablespoons (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large head (or 2 small ones) cauliflower
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper

FOR THE PESTO

1 cup cauliflower “crumbs,” collected after slicing the head
12 large basil leaves
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
⅔ cup (160ml) extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper

To make the cauliflower

PREHEAT oven to 425°F (220°C).

LINE a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil or use a large shallow roasting pan. Pour 2 tablespoons of the oil onto the pan and spread it around to cover the bottom.

REMOVE the outer green leaves from the cauliflower. Rinse well and trim off any dirty spots. Using a long, sharp knife, slice the head in half from stem to top of the head. Cut ¾-inch-thick (2-cm) slices, from the top of the head to the stem end, and place them on the pan, one at a time. Some of the pieces that fall off onto the cutting board will stay intact, but the smaller pieces may crumble. Place any pieces that are 1-inch (2.5-cm) or larger on the pan, along with the cauliflower slices. Pick out the smaller cauliflower pieces (you should have about 1 cup) and place them in the bowl of a food processor.

DRIZZLE the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the cauliflower on the pan. Sprinkle with the salt and season with pepper to taste. Roast for 20 minutes.

To make the pesto

MEANWHILE, add the basil, garlic, lemon juice, and some salt and pepper to the cauliflower pieces in the processor bowl. Process until the cauliflower and basil are finely chopped. With the machine running, slowly pour the olive oil into the processor bowl. Use a silicone spatula to scrape down any pieces that are stuck to the sides of the bowl.

AFTER THE CAULIFLOWER HAS COOKED for 15 minutes and is a little browned, spread the pesto on top of the slabs. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until fork-tender.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:16 pm
Amarante wrote:
I thought about this thread when I was going through my cookbooks for inspiration

Excerpt From: Paula Shoyer. “The New Passover Menu

CAULIFLOWER SLABS WITH BASIL PESTO

thanx ~ she went back to cleveland ~ I will forward her this recipe - seems simple & delish

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:17 pm
greenfire wrote:
thanx ~ she went back to cleveland ~ I will forward her this recipe - seems simple & delish

Obviously can be made all year round and cauliflower "steaks" as I posted upthread have become quite the trendy vegan dish.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:22 pm
Amarante wrote:
Obviously can be made all year round and cauliflower "steaks" as I posted upthread have become quite the trendy vegan dish.

yes & the great thing is she loves cauliflower

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:23 pm
also, I not only ate the cauliflower rice, I enjoyed the mock meatballs because the mushrooms no longer had that weird texture after grinding it ...

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:27 pm
heres a great vegan nutloaf that seemed to be enjoyed. (I hardly got to taste it myself but my meat hating relative lives on it on pesach)

saute 1 large onion, 2 large potatoes and 2 large eggplant all cubed. Once soft blend in food processsor or stick blender. Add ground almonds till kneadable consistancy. make 4 logs. bake covered until set - at 350 prob about an hour. (should resemble gefilta fish log) Serve topped with tomato sauce. (homemade or bought)

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:28 pm
Vegetable soups & vegetable cutlets is filling. Salads with cubed avocado in it is filling.
Fruits, fruit smoothies, fruit salads, baked apple, baked sweet potato is filling. Sauteed zucchini with onions eaten with matzah. Anything with potatoes is filling. Sweet carrots sauteed with pineapple & orange juice.
Also anything with pomegranates gives energy
Fruit soups/compotes.

I'm thinking of more stuff but she doesnt do anything with egg in recipes either like kugels? Cakes? Anything with mayo?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:34 pm
yes ~ I made ratatouille & borscht & salads & guacamole galore ... I was just looking for a festive special meal

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:09 pm
Double post

Last edited by dankbar on Thu, Apr 25 2019, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 2:11 pm
Chips in oven made from thin carrot strips. Sweet potato. Kohlrabi. Zucchini. Eggplant.

Roasted portabella caps can be used instead of burger bun.
Also stuffed caps

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 4:51 pm
Thanks for explaining!
I hope u had a great time with her, greenie!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics