Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to help a 7-year old to stop picking his nose

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:45 am
Any ideas/solutions that actually worked, when nothing else did?
Thanks!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:32 am
Find the thing that motivates your child!

DD had a terrible habit so I made her a chart. I told her that every day that she controls herself, she gets a sticker. After 5 stickers, she got a small prize. After 15 stickers I told her that she doesn't need the chart anymore because obviously she can do it on her own. She's very proud of herself and I AM SO RELIEVED, bh!!

Window

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:34 am
I fail to see what the problem is. I pick my nose all the time. How else do you get out those pieces?!
Just explain to your child that it's not so nice to do in public

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:09 am
Um...blow your nose? I certainly don't pick my nose.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Find the thing that motivates your child!

DD had a terrible habit so I made her a chart. I told her that every day that she controls herself, she gets a sticker. After 5 stickers, she got a small prize. After 15 stickers I told her that she doesn't need the chart anymore because obviously she can do it on her own. She's very proud of herself and I AM SO RELIEVED, bh!!

That’s great!

Is there something that people use for the issue of nose picking like the “no-bite” solution for biting nails that actually works?

Thank you!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:06 pm
Might be more effective to just teach him to do it privately. And with clean hands (which should be washed again after). I still pick sometimes. Blowing your nose doesn't get everything out.

Window

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:51 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Um...blow your nose? I certainly don't pick my nose.
[quote]

It just won't get out the hard dry pieces that are stuck to the sides. Unless there's a trick I'm missing

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any ideas/solutions that actually worked, when nothing else did?
Thanks!

Ask your pediatrician to check his nose. Maybe he has an allergy that is causing more stuff in his nose to pick at. I went to an allergist for this. Now better BH. good luck

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:10 pm
Bump

Ideas, please?!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:50 pm
Children often pick their nose as a way of relaxing themselves- I would just pass a tissue when you see it happening. You don't want to embarrass her, but want to break the cycle.

For the adult nose pickers- use a tissue to pick as opposed to your fingers.

sra

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:31 am
let her keep a squishy toy in her pocket, and tell her to squish it every time she feels like picking her nose. (and maybe blow her nose with a tissue)

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:50 am
My dd also does it... it's so gross. But her nose keeps running so I feel bad and just give her a tissue when I see her with her finger in her nose and tell her to wash her hands with soap.
DD4 used to have her finger in her nose all the time... I don't know how she stopped but that was kind of anxious habit I believe cuz after she started picking her lip.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:16 am
I posted on a similar thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....58539
Might be helpful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 7:57 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I posted on a similar thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....58539
Might be helpful.

Thank you so much for replying! I remember seeing this thread when it was going, but could not find it now.

I tried the no-bite that someone kindly recommended, and it seems to be helping another kid to stop biting his nails, but not the kid who is picking his nose.

Did you find a solution that works for the nose-picking?

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:39 am
I stuck a fingerful of vaseline into each nostril 3x a day for my 5 year old. Happens to be that his nose had gotten irritated from all the picking so it was bothering him and he just couldn’t stop touching it. The vaseline soothed the irritation and as long as it was in there he didn’t want to stick his finger in anyway. This was recommended by an ENT and it worked! Took about 2 weeks.

Eta: If you try it, squeeze his nose gently with a tissue right after to get out the excess.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:09 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I stuck a fingerful of vaseline into each nostril 3x a day for my 5 year old. Happens to be that his nose had gotten irritated from all the picking so it was bothering him and he just couldn’t stop touching it. The vaseline soothed the irritation and as long as it was in there he didn’t want to stick his finger in anyway. This was recommended by an ENT and it worked! Took about 2 weeks.

Interesting! Thanks so much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics