Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you not keep all your closed packages of Pasta?
1  2  3  Next

Do you sell unstarted boxes of Pasta with your Chometz or throw it out?
I sell it with the Chometz.  
 57%  [ 136 ]
I throw it out (even if its a few brand new boxes).  
 42%  [ 100 ]
Total Votes : 236

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:48 am
Do you not keep (throw out or donate) all your closed packages of Pasta, Lukshen, Farfel, Oat Bran or sell them?

Some of my Pasta is from the health food store and pretty expensive. I tried using most of it before Pesach, but I didnt, and Im "turned over" now.

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:49 am
I sell chometz gamur so I don’t throw it out.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:49 am
Don’t throw away! Donate to a food bank if you don’t want sell it.

bat1

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:53 am
I threw away some. Pasta is really cheap, and it's part of the Mitzvah of Biur Chametz.
the only thing I would do differently is next year buy less Chametz as we get closer.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:54 am
bat1 wrote:
I threw away some. Pasta is really cheap, and it's part of the Mitzvah of Biur Chametz.
the only thing I would do differently is next year buy less Chametz as we get closer.

I never buy close to or after Purim, but I always end up with unused boxes.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:55 am
If I still ate pasta, I’d keep it if it was closed and sell it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:59 am
We buy most food at large supermarket that happily accepts returns on closed, non expired packages. So we return whatever we can. The rest we give away, unless it's really minimal.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:03 am
We don't sell chometz gamur unless it's a hefsed meruba. Therefore expensive whiskey and alcoholic beverages we do sell but I am very conscious not to keep stock of other chometz items I use it up as we get closer to Pesach so that nothing goes to waste. The only thing I'll end up with is less than a half cup of barley and a few tablespoons of cornflakes crumbs and pretzel crumbs. We are literally down to almost no chometz at all at this point.
My parents used to give it all their unopened boxes of chometz to our non Jewish neighbors.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:06 am
Learn something new everyday. I never heard of keeping chumetz in the house on Pesach.

We get rid of all chumetz. I am careful what I buy after chanukah. Would you keep frozen bread and cookies?

momwifedaughter

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:10 am
Would never Want have it in my house over pesach...

After all the cleaning going on...
Neh.. Chumetz free..
I even threw out frozen veggies bags that were open, open Mayonnaise, Ketchup etc. Was used on chumetz table and I only have one fridge so can't keep it with pesach stuff. It's part of mitzvah..

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:22 am
I give it away. This year I'm happy that I had less to give away. I consciously cooked according to what I had in my cabinet for a month.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:24 am
momwifedaughter wrote:
Would never Want have it in my house over pesach...

After all the cleaning going on...
Neh.. Chumetz free..
I even threw out frozen veggies bags that were open, open Mayonnaise, Ketchup etc. Was used on chumetz table and I only have one fridge so can't keep it with pesach stuff. It's part of mitzvah..

Please ask a shailah. Throwing away food is the opposite of a mitzvah. We designate a chametz shelf in the fridge (the door) and freezer (a bin) and cover it and label it “chametz”.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:25 am
My husband is a rav and sells chometz for everyone else, but he prefers that we get rid of all chametz gamur. I give to a neighbor or bring to work or my husband's yeshiva.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:38 am
What did R Moshe used to tell people? What do the Feinsteins say these days?

Are there any big Rabbonim who say not to waste?

mrs me

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:30 am
I thought these things are a matter of Minhag... I know some that sell closed boxes of chometz, some that sell even open packages of chometz, and some that don't keep any chametz gamur in the house at all

sra

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:44 am
I give it to a neighbor who sells closed chometz-I let her keep it:)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:02 pm
Does it make a difference for those who go away for Pesach?

What do Rabbonim say about what to do with "real Chametz" if youre not home all Pesach?

mrs me

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What do Rabbonim say about what to do with "real Chametz" if youre not home all Pesach?

Well we are noheg to not keep any chometz gamur in house at all. We will be away for pesach and we are getting rid of chometz before we leave... I think if you are noheg not to sell chometz gamur, then it doesnt really make a difference if you are home or not - it's a matter of ownership

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It could make a difference. We don't sell chometz gamur, just alcohol and non chometz items like dry yeast (which ou says can be sold and is different than something that has already been mixed with yeast). But dh said if we were to close up the home for pesach and go away, the minhag is different and chometz would be sold with the whole home.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:12 pm
We don’t sell chametz gamur, but if I have anything someone else may want, I try to give it away instead of dumping.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics