Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
How much do you spend on Chol HaMoed activities?

bigsis144

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:11 am
(Moved to an anon-enabled forum)

As my kids get older, just “going to the park” on chol hamoed isn’t cutting it anymore.

And with a rainy forecast, I’m getting major sticker shock at many of the indoor activities in my area - $20 for an hour of trampoline time? $18 per person at local museums? Paint-your-own-pottery charges for studio admission as well as the item you paint....

How do you decide what to do on chol hamoed?

And yes, there are many factors -
(A) age of kids
(B) number of family members
(C) number of “usable” chol hamoed days (ex. This year it’s Monday thru Thursday, which is different than a Thursday thru Sunday chol hamoed)

Do you
(A) only free stuff (ex. hiking)
(B) free except for parking (ex. museums)
(C) I have a budget per person (ex. max $20 per person per day)
(D) I have a family budget, so as family gets bigger or kids get older we have to get creative....
(E) one big thing (ex. amusement park) on one day, and more chill the rest of chol hamoed
(F) something else?

Do you decide? Do your kids have a say in it?

What do you think is the average? Do you think you spend more or less than the average? (And no matter what you do, some kid in your child’s class will have done something cooler 😜)

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:30 am
We usually spend on one big trip. A mid priced trip. And a small local outing.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:45 am
we try to do at least one "exciting thing" during a vacation. I find that one thing makes all the difference. My oldest is 9 so they are still somewhat young so exciting isn't necessarily expensive. Last year I think we went to a science museum with friends that was "further away" so it was more "special". My dh is home during chol hamoed so I feel like that also makes things more "special". We don't have a set budget. We do it based on what parents and children want to do. We take suggestions or make suggestions to see what they think and we have the final say. We (meaning parents) don't really like trampoline parks, roller coasters Wink We have a much harder time when it's rainy Sad The good cool cheap stuff is outdoors. My backup plan right now is a butterfly exhibit that my 9 year old requested.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:14 pm
Free stuff! I couldn't go to the park daily either

sky

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:30 pm
Mix
1. mid priced trip - this year $17 adult, $7 kids)
2. Amusement park membership - we get many years different places. Can use it pesach, succor, summer and winter break and Sundays. It’s ecpensive but will get our moneys worth. Bought six flags using cheap succos tickets. Will use at minimum succos two times, pesach, winter three times and I’m sure more.
3. Outdoor like beach or free zoo or light house
4. Eruv Yom Tov get out of house to park or small arcades (always costs more then I expect) or bowling

If doing pottery painting look for a Groupon.

Really my kids like free trips and we’ve had fun doing many things
For example they loved duke farms were bike rentals are around $5 or a recycling center tour
My oldest are getting bigger and I do see their expectations growing. When I said beach they rolled their eyes. But I know they’ll love a picnicing lunch on the beach.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:15 pm
Some years we shop at a toy store or crafts store and each child buys something to do as an activity and we stay home.
We also visit grandparents one day Chol Hamoed.
If we do go away, we do membership at a museum that we can use at least again on Succos Chol Hamoed or the summer .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics