Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ten lost tribes
1  2  Next

stillgrowing

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:48 am
Do we still believe that these tribes exist? Why is it not considered a major tragedy that so much of am yisrael was lost,? We're taught that Rochel imeinu cries for her children yet it seems that her descendants are not even part of the of Jewish people. How are we to understand all this?

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:34 am
Remind me to bump this after pesach.

Love the topic but no headspace now.

rydys

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 12:48 pm
There are various opinions on what happened to the "lost tribes". They are not lost to the world or to Yiddishkeit, they are just "lost" to us.

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:14 pm
There are tribes that claim to be the lost tribes. You have people in India, China, and Africa that claim they are descendants of the lost tribes

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 1:20 pm
I love the books written by Sender Zeyv , "Ten Lost" and "Aleph Shin"....it helped me think of the possibilities (they are novels but very interesting)

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 2:24 pm
This topic fascinates me. I’ll be following.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:46 pm
giselle wrote:
This topic fascinates me. I’ll be following.

Me as well. I love reading any information possible on them.

stillgrowing

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:00 pm
I stand corrected. Apparently Binyamin, Rochel's son, w was not one of the ten. His tribe remained part of what we consider to be the Jewish people.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:44 pm
I'm sorry I don't have a source but I have heard that they are mostly lost but there is some small admixture of the ten tribes.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 5:33 pm
This questions got me googling, and this website came up. Fascinating!

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/......html

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:20 pm
I have a friend thats a Hebrew Israelite. Most fascinating group of people that considor themselves from the lost tribes. They keep MANY mitzvas mostly written . they keep Yom Teruah as rosh hashana - day after and many other interesting cultural traditions. I asked my rav about her and he said most Israeli Rabbis considor them non jewish and they need to go through Geirus.

Another friend theough work is a 7th day Aventist. its fascinating to learn their traditions and "some" believe they are from the lost tribes as well.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:08 pm
happyone wrote:
I have a friend thats a Hebrew Israelite. Most fascinating group of people that considor themselves from the lost tribes. They keep MANY mitzvas mostly written . they keep Yom Teruah as rosh hashana - day after and many other interesting cultural traditions. I asked my rav about her and he said most Israeli Rabbis considor them non jewish and they need to go through Geirus.

Another friend theough work is a 7th day Aventist. its fascinating to learn their traditions and "some" believe they are from the lost tribes as well.

I once worked with a Hebrew Israelite. But she was born catholic and converted. I remember that she didn’t eat pork and rested on shabbos but she did believe in je-sus 🤷‍♀️

iyar

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:26 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Remind me to bump this after pesach.

Love the topic but no headspace now.

Can I be included in the post Pesach bump?
No time now but also interested.
Just to add to the confusion about people claiming to be the the Aseres Hashvatim-
During the 17 and 1800's, earlier too, Xtian missionaries traveled all over Africa and Asia teaching people religion, which included the stories of Brias Ha'Olam, the Avos and Imahos, Yetzias Mitzrayim etc. Many picked up songs and stories and were attracted to stories of a chosen nation. They decided to say they were in fact descendants of these chosen people, but sometimes people who investigated could tell from the things they said and did that their source was Xtian, and not Torah based.

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:18 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I once worked with a Hebrew Israelite. But she was born catholic and converted. I remember that she didn’t eat pork and rested on shabbos but she did believe in je-sus 🤷‍♀️

apparantly there's a huge group of Hebrew Israelites in texas. many believe in J-sus but have a magen dovid in their homes, keep many jewish holidays, dont eat pork, no shellfish, very very interesting. seems like combined religions or long lost traditions. or so called claimed jewish heritage ?????

jewishmommy1

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:34 am
Bump for a fascinating topic.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:51 am
happyone wrote:
apparantly there's a huge group of Hebrew Israelites in texas. many believe in J-sus but have a magen dovid in their homes, keep many jewish holidays, dont eat pork, no shellfish, very very interesting. seems like combined religions or long lost traditions. or so called claimed jewish heritage ?????

I always thought these people in the Southwest were descendents of crypto-Jews, on the run from the Inquisition.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:58 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm sorry I don't have a source but I have heard that they are mostly lost but there is some small admixture of the ten tribes.

It is believed by historians now that the Assyrians did not exile each and every member of the Ten tribes that made up the population of the Northern Kingdom of Israel. There were pockets of Jews that remained in the land, left there by the Assyrians to help the incoming peoples that they imported from other areas, to acclimate to their new environment.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:02 pm
Excuse my ignorance. But aren't the ten tribes behind the Sambatyon, the river that throws rocks.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 1:09 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Excuse my ignorance. But aren't the ten tribes behind the Sambatyon, the river that throws rocks.

According to a famous, ancient legend. The Sambatyon is a fierce, magical river that is impossible to forge except when it rests on Shabbat - the day that the ten tribes are not allowed to travel.

SYA

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 2:30 pm
There are several Jewish sources that state different things that happened to the Aseres Hashvotim.
I don’t have time to look it up now.
Gemara Sanhedrin mentions they were brought to Africa.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics