Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Measles free chol hamoed trips??
Previous  1  2

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:25 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It's interesting that nobody actually refutes this claim with facts or data. Only hugs.

My hug was for the people who will die while texting and driving. I didnt understand your point but if those numbers are true and its a concern why not start a campaign to raise awareness in that area rather?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:33 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Was just at the dr today and he mentioned to me that their telling all their patients to stay away from indoor trips

Yup. Problem is, outdoor places carry a risk too. Wasnt it disneyland/world that had that outbreak a few years ago? It stays in the air for 2 hours even outdoors. But I guess outdoors that is more spacey like a large park would be much more ok than a crowded zoo

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:35 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I have a 4 month old obviously unvaccinated. ill be around the tristate area. should I be avoiding chol hamoed trips? this is insane. I dont want to live in fear, but I also dont want to expose my infant cv. there are frum people everywhere on chol hamoed.

You should definitely avoid places crowded with frum Jews. If your baby is exposed to someone carrying measles (or the air they coughed in up to 2 hours prior) they have a 90% chance of catching it ch"v ch"v ch"v

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:35 pm
A place like bear mountain is so huge you can probably find a private spot

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It's interesting that nobody actually refutes this claim with facts or data. Only hugs.

We’ve already explained to you ad nauseum about herd immunity so what’s the point. But don’t text and drive either.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Let me try to explain why the 3% rate in a normal population is irrelevant.

It is because even though 3% might not be "fully" vaccinated, they are unlikely to come across the measles virus just as in a "normal" population, infants or others with immune compromised systems are unlikely to come across the measles virus. The 3% have done what is possible to protect themselves and others - it is why measles epidemics don't generally occur in the "normal" population which has herd protection.

This excellent explanation of herd immunity explains why those people who deliberately don't vaccinate are the reason why others are in danger. The reason why there is an epidemic is because enough people are not vaccinated in the Orthodox community and therefore there are enough susceptible individuals to spread the virus. If enough people are vaccinated, the virus is effectively "killed" because they have no live bodies to propagate in - they can only live for 2 hours outside a living person.

It is the difference between a drunk driver who kills someone and someone who through no fault of their own skids on ice while driving safely - one is to blame because they deliberately created a situation which could harm others while the other did everything possible to safeguard himself/herself and others.

Laiya

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:47 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Or don't worry about it since there have been 0 measles deaths in the last 10 years in the USA but 1 in 400 americans will die from someone texting and driving.

Do you see no correlation between zero measles deaths and vaccines??

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry if this was discussed already...
Traveling to Monsey & am pregnant b”h.
Where can my family go on chol hamoed that would be our safest bet? We have all been vaccinated, but vaccinations are estimated to be 97% effective, so I’m still very nervous.
Staying at our hosts all chol hamoed with a bunch of bored active little kids is not an option.
Are any places going to only let in vaccinated ppl in, or is that a pipe dream? Are outdoor parks safer then indoor places? (Although rain is predicted 2 out of 4 days of chol hamoed.)
Willing to travel up to 45 min each way -is another area safer?
Would Williamsburg/Monsey unvaccinated travel that far too? Is anywhere safe??

Thanks for any and all tips!!

I don't quite understand the fuss about chol hamoed. Do your kids go to school during the year? Do they take a school bus? Do they go inside stores? Shul on shabbos? Do you go to stores or shul? How have you been able to avoid being indoors with a crowd until now?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:58 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I have a 4 month old obviously unvaccinated. ill be around the tristate area. should I be avoiding chol hamoed trips? this is insane. I dont want to live in fear, but I also dont want to expose my infant cv. there are frum people everywhere on chol hamoed.

My pediatrician said not to go anywhere with my baby on Pesach besides for my own backyard and family or friends that I know for sure are vaccinated. She said not to go to any malls or public places.
My baby got the MMR yesterday but it takes a few weeks to actually give immunity (and even then it's not 100% since the younger the baby the less immunity they have. That's why they always wait to give it by 12 months)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:58 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I don't quite understand the fuss about chol hamoed. Do your kids go to school during the year? Do they take a school bus? Do they go inside stores? Shul on shabbos? Do you go to stores or shul? How have you been able to avoid being indoors with a crowd until now?

Read the first line. I’m traveling to Monsey for Y”T. I live oot in a community that has b”h not be affected by measles.
For those that live in Monsey or any very effected area I don’t know what they’ve been doing. But again I don’t live there, and am just trying to be as safe as possible during our visit.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:02 pm
Amarante wrote:

It is the difference between a drunk driver who kills someone and someone who through no fault of their own skids on ice while driving safely - one is to blame because they deliberately created a situation which could harm others while the other did everything possible to safeguard himself/herself and others.

Excellent point. And I think there's a certain rishus, an amorality, in attempting to conflate the two.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:17 pm
khaki your post makes no sense
among other things stats depend on how many in that room are vaccinated and at 3%
if more are closer to 100% vulnerable to catching it then exponentially many more will spread the disease R"L
its not that the vaccine does not work for 3% it is that the vaccine makes you approximately 97% immune so one could still have a 3% chance of catching it
the (vaccinated) guy in Detroit is speaking out about getting it and now dealing with corneal damage and other things
like wearing a seatbelt we do our hishtadlus (next do you want to talk about car accidents and those with and without seatbelt? anyway, its not apples to apples car accidents and diseases...)
I am sorry if un vaxxers feel somehow attacked but lets all try to be logical please

ask your pediatrician and OB gyn

can't we just answer Ops post without a whole buncha antivax "distraction"

seems to be some kinda meme that the ones who cry "attack" seem to be doing "attacking"

happyness

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:42 pm
Since the vaccine doesn't work for 3% anyway if you're in a room with more than 33 people statistically you have a person who might as well not be vaccinated anyway so just don't go anywhere with more than 20 people are so.

Or don't worry about it since there have been 0 measles deaths in the last 10 years in the USA but 1 in 400 americans will die from someone texting and driving.

I think the baby can be in great danger if she gets the measles?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:44 pm
delicious wrote:
I think the baby can be in great danger if she gets the measles?

Your thinking is on point. Yes that anti vaxxers said no one died in the last so so years but did she mention how many people suffered hearing loss???

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:11 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

For the She'aino Yodea Lishol you don't bother explaining, you just give them hugs & pecks on their cheeks.

rikki 1

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:29 am
Lakewood's Dr. Rich Roberts carnival in the Blue Claws stadium parking lot is officially only for vaxxers (been that way for years, even before the current outbreak)

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 11:44 am

Why dont you go explain your messed up logic to the family members of the Israeli flight attendent who got measles??
She is now in a deep coma after developing encephalitis (swelling of the brain-one of the well known side effects of measles).
Go feed your "calm down" nonsense to them. See how that works out for you.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:01 pm
There is a very nice park in Nyack next to the river. There is a huge slide, ducks, and a very high quality playground.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics