Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is this safe

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:00 pm
My cleaning lady is here.
I was unloading my kids and a black teenager came by and asked me if he could help me with anything for $5. I told him he could crush my cardboard and fold it. He did it and I paid him.

Do you think I did something dangerous?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:01 pm
No

Aylat

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:02 pm
No, why? Are you asking because he is black?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:04 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
No
I'm just nervous he'll think I'm rich and it will draw attention from the gangs that live in the government sponsor housing near me

Aylat

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm just nervous he'll think I'm rich and it will draw attention from the gangs that live in the government sponsor housing near me

Interesting, because my take was: good for him, taking the initiative and doing some work to earn money. But obviously I don't know your neighborhood and any issues.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:11 pm
There are white gangs, you know. Color is not an indicator of anything.

I remember one time I found a free piano on Craigslist. The person getting rid of it helped us get it into the truck, but when we got home, we couldn't move it by ourselves!

Just then I saw a big strong guy walking past us, minding his own business. I went up to him and offered him $25 to help us get the piano up the stairs and into the house.

Yep. I let a Black stranger into my house - and lived to tell the tale.

He probably went home to laugh with his family, about how he made quick money off of some white lady who didn't plan ahead. Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:15 pm
Aylat wrote:
Interesting, because my take was: good for him, taking the initiative and doing some work to earn money. But obviously I don't know your neighborhood and any issues.

if he's trying to earn an honest buck I should help. But I don't want to draw a target on my house. And we do have gangs from there

OutATowner

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:20 pm
I dont think a busy mother paying $5 to crush cardboard would become a target as someone rich. It sounds like he was looking to make an honest buck. (Especially if you live in a frum neighborhood and people pick up on the Pesach busy season.)

Aylat

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
if he's trying to earn an honest buck I should help. But I don't want to draw a target on my house. And we do have gangs from there

I wouldn't think paying a teen $5 marks you at as rich enough to be worth breaking and entering, or even mugging. You have what everyone has, a credit card and a smartphone. You did nothing to indicate that you own anything extra exciting. (In the worst-case scenario that you were being watched or the teen himself is a gang member.)

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:24 pm
I don't think paying him $5 for doing a chore is going to make you a target because he thinks you have the Crown Jewels hidden :-).

As others have written, he seems like an enterprising kid - not very different from kids who take a lawnmower around and ask to mow lawns. To digress, there was a horrible incident of a young boy who had a lawn mowing business (he was about 13) and he was mowing a woman's lawn who had hired him and since there wasn't a fence, he was mowing a strip of lawn that belonged to the neighbors who called the POLICE instead of doing the sane thing which would be either to thank him/hire him or tell him politely that he was over the neighbor's boundaries. Luckily from the publicity, his business boomed and he actually got enough donations to fund a college scholarship for him.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:31 pm
I always see teens selling drinks on street corners in the summer. I doubt buying one marks you as a target.

I think it was fine.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't think paying him $5 for doing a chore is going to make you a target because he thinks you have the Crown Jewels hidden :-).

As others have written, he seems like an enterprising kid - not very different from kids who take a lawnmower around and ask to mow lawns. To digress, there was a horrible incident of a young boy who had a lawn mowing business (he was about 13) and he was mowing a woman's lawn who had hired him and since there wasn't a fence, he was mowing a strip of lawn that belonged to the neighbors who called the POLICE instead of doing the sane thing which would be either to thank him/hire him or tell him politely that he was over the neighbor's boundaries. Luckily from the publicity, his business boomed and he actually got enough donations to fund a college scholarship for him.

Ugg I remember that story. People are so crazy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry