Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One sink, how to make it work?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:45 pm
I've never had one sink before. Putting a 2nd sink or changing to a double sink isn't possible now. How do I logistically make it work? I hate the "dont put anything in the sink" situation that we have now. Can I kasher it and then use it for the one thing we mainly eat. (Meat) what to do for dairy besides washing it else where? Help!!!!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've never had one sink before. Putting a 2nd sink or changing to a double sink isn't possible now. How do I logistically make it work? I hate the "dont put anything in the sink" situation that we have now. Can I kasher it and then use it for the one thing we mainly eat. (Meat) what to do for dairy besides washing it else where? Help!!!!

I use these:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

One of dairy, one for meat. When I put dishes in the sink, they rest on these rather than the sink itself. I suppose the sink is technically not kosher, but since I never fill it, and use these protectors, it doesn't really matter.

dv

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I use these:

One of dairy, one for meat. When I put dishes in the sink, they rest on these rather than the sink itself. I suppose the sink is technically not kosher, but since I never fill it, and use these protectors, it doesn't really matter.
[quote]

I do the same

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 3:56 pm
I would also consider getting a plastic tub that fits the sink, in two/three colors. Meat/dairy (parve if you have a lot of that)

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:04 pm
What do you do with 1 sink for rinsing off chicken, meat, fish etc? Or rinsing pasta for dairy? Washing your hands after food prep?

A few homes I've looked at in the past just had 1 sink and I was puzzled how it would work.

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:11 pm
studying_torah wrote:
What do you do with 1 sink for rinsing off chicken, meat, fish etc? Or rinsing pasta for dairy? Washing your hands after food prep?

A few homes I've looked at in the past just had 1 sink and I was puzzled how it would work.

If you need to rinse chicken, make sure the dairy rack is not in the sink.

What is so puzzling about this?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My parents have one sink. They kasher it, and then put in sink racks, separate for meat, dairy, and parve. They use sink racks all year, not just for pesach.
The one advantage I see to having one sink is that you can’t let stuff pile up!

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:14 pm
studying_torah wrote:

None of those things actually touch the sink- the chicken, the pasta, your hands. Just make sure the appropriate racks are in the sink, and there’s no issue.

cm

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:15 pm
I would use a dishpan in the sink that is smaller than the size of the sink. Stack/soak/scrub dishes in there, then rinse them off over the sink itself (you should have enough room to the side of the dishpan). When you switch from meat to dairy, put the other dishpan aside on the counter or under the sink, depending on your space.

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:15 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I use these:

Just to note, these racks are a breeding ground for bacteria. Clean well and often.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:18 pm
giselle wrote:
Just to note, these racks are a breeding ground for bacteria. Clean well and often.

Wouldn’t you clean and dry them before you switch them out?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:43 pm
Yup, racks and bins in the sink. (And stored under the sink.)

giselle

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:36 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Wouldn’t you clean and dry them before you switch them out?

A quick rinse won’t get rid of the germs.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:46 pm
That's why a bin on top of a rack is best. I think anyway it isn't sanitary to pile dishes directly in a sink where people wash hands, clean chicken, etc, aside from any kashrus issues.

Optione

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:01 pm
studying_torah wrote:

I'm forever doing dishes (my dh too) so my sink is empty before food prep.

Thursday night I serve meat dinner so I can cook for shabbos at the same time.

I cook pasta in a parve pot so I can drain it over whatever is in the sink. I then add cheese separately.

Once in a while I will have to wash a baby bottle in the bathroom sink.

I hope this leaves you less puzzled!

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:05 pm
Yes thanks, I thought If chicken let's say is washed in the sink you cannot then put in the dairy rack or bin.
Or if a boiling pot of water is poured in then you can't put in the meat one.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:25 pm
We have 3 basins with drains in them ( from bed bath and beyond). They get filled on the floor until I'm ready to do dishes, then plopped in the sink and dishes are washed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:37 pm
How do the sink protectors help if a fork slips through and is now sitting in the presumably treif sink? I've tried having meat and dairy buckets and they just clutter up my small kitchen. If I use the sink for meat and have the sink protector in the bottom isn't the sink considered meat? Just by switching the sink protector I could use it for dairy?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:40 pm
The actual sink is considered treif. So if a fork falls into the sink, if there is boiling hot liquid or food in the sink itself, then the fork does become treif and you need to kasher it. If it isn't that hot, it is fine, just wash off. It really isn't that big a deal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:45 pm
Got it. Thanks for all the replies. I think I can make it work.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen