Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One sink, how to make it work?
Previous  1  2

Optione

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 10:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do the sink protectors help if a fork slips through and is now sitting in the presumably treif sink? I've tried having meat and dairy buckets and they just clutter up my small kitchen. If I use the sink for meat and have the sink protector in the bottom isn't the sink considered meat? Just by switching the sink protector I could use it for dairy?

To echo amother blush, the only times that my sink would be hot enough to cause kashrus issues would be if I put in something boiling or close to it. At that point, I'm am careful that nothing fell through the rack.
I understand your hesitations, though. It's definitely not ideal. But it is functional.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:08 pm
giselle wrote:
A quick rinse won’t get rid of the germs.

I don’t mean a quick rinse, I mean washing it. You wash it before putting it away, which, if you have both dairy and meat often, should be rather frequently.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 1:07 pm
I've had one sink my whole life - married and unmarried.

I don't use a dishpan in the sink - just a rack for milchik and fleishik, but I do keep a dishpan in the far left and far right of my counter, for the dirty dishes to be place there until I'm ready to wash them.

Generally when washing dishes I try to keep the forks, etc, from falling off the rack, but the water isn't super hot anyway as I'm washing them, so I just pick them up and continue.

No one generally puts any dishes in the sink, unless it's during a cleanup from a meal, when the appropriate rack is in the sink. When not being used, the extra rack goes against the wall behind the faucets or each rack behind each dishpan on the two corner ends of the counter.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen