Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How to freeze crepes (bletlach)
Previous  1  2

pause

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:12 pm
IME, frozen crepes are good for lukshen - if you let them defrost and put them into hot soup. But they are not good to make blintzes out of them. They aren't as soft/flexible and break apart when you fold/roll them. I'd rather freeze them filled and then re-warm them in a single layer in the oven before serving.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 11:46 pm
I've been doing this for years with excellent results:

Mash cooked potatoes with sautéed onion and fill blintzes. place in foil Bekele as many as you need for a seuda...top with some additional sautéed onion. Then freeze.
Defrost yomtov then place foil into a larger pan of water and let steam on hot tray or blech. Comes out delicious...

ladYdI

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:09 am
I stack them on large plastic plate and into a ziplock freezer bag.
I slice some up into thin strips and put a small amount into a small ziplock freezer bag
Freeze and defrost
Let the crepes get to room temp before you roll them otherwise they crack

DREAMING

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:39 am
ladYdI wrote:
I stack them on large plastic plate and into a ziplock freezer bag.
I slice some up into thin strips and put a small amount into a small ziplock freezer bag
Freeze and defrost
Let the crepes get to room temp before you roll them otherwise they crack

I do this as well. I cut them in strips and freeze in a ziplock - they get reheated in boiling soup and haven’t noticed any freezer taste

clowny

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:39 am
I freeze crepes for years already with great experience. Full crepes I stack up and put in plastic bag. And I also freeze it once it’s cut up as noodles in small plastic containers.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:41 am
I filled the potato blintzes and froze them double wrapped. I fry them in a little oil just before serving to freshen them up.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:01 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I want to make potato blintzes. Will that work? I don't think it makes sense to freeze it with the filling so I was thinking to just make the crepes and freeze separately... has anyone done that successfully?

My girls made two 9X13 pans of potato blintzes yesterday. Cover well and freeze. I heat in oven and serve with sauce. Do this every year and it comes out great.

momsrus

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
It tastes pretty good especially in boiling hot soup. You can slice when frozen but allow to defrost before adding to soup.
Don't freeze already sliced. Too much freezer taste.
No need to wrap each crepe in foil. Foil wrap a bunch of individual rolled ones together in one foil and Ziploc.

We freeze these already sliced. No freezer taste when added to soup.

pause

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 11:47 am
I had made tons of crepes for first days/chol hamoed and had planned to make more on chol hamoed for second days. However, at the end of first days, we stayed with so much left over that I froze a stack in case I don't get to making more fresh ones later.

L'maaseh, I didn't make more, so I used the idea that someone posted here to warm them up covered before using. In the past I had tried to use frozen crepes simply defrosted, and another time I had warmed them up in the oven uncovered. They were never quite as good as fresh ones, hence my original plan to make more. But now, warmed up covered, they were so delicious! If I had wanted, I could have even used them for blintzes! Next year iy"H this will be my l'chatchilla plan.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Apr 28 2019, 12:11 pm
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

So I defrosted the first batch on my countertop, but the looked and tasted... sort of dried out and bland. The second batch I put straight into the oven - and sprinkled a little water on top. (I do this for potato kugel so I figured - why not try it?) It came out fresh and perfect! So I'm definitely doing it this way again next year.

(Oh, and the second batch had a bit of oil in the crepe batter - not sure if that was part of what made the difference).

Thanks again!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics