Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When did NY start mandating a second MMR?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 10:39 am
When did the second dose of measles vaccines become mandated in NYC?

Both my husband and I were born around the 1985 cutoff date and I would like to know if we were mandated to get the second dose of MMR because I don't have my records from back then.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:34 pm
I just emailed my pediatrician asking for my records, I was born in '77.
I feel bad for him becausme I am sure his office is flooded with reuqests right now, but I need to know. Going to get my titers tested tomorrow.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 12:38 pm
I was born in eighty five and only got one shot, but I had my titers checked and I’m immune

naomi2

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:43 pm
97 percent of people will get immunity from one dose. Check your titers, you may not need another one.

chocolatine

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:45 pm
I had only one shot as a child (1985) and was not immune to measles anymore. Had to get a booster.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 3:48 pm
I was born in 1962 and got blood work to see if I am immune and I am ,

nchr

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 4:09 pm
naomi2 wrote:
97 percent of people will get immunity from one dose. Check your titers, you may not need another one.

Just to clarify, as you had a typo. 93% from one dose. 97% from two.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 4:42 pm
I just checked my immunization record today. I was born in 1985 and only had one dose. I think after pesach I'm going to have blood work done just to see if I need a booster

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 8:21 pm
I was born a few years before you. Ped doesn't have access to my paper records from back then, so I got a blood test to test my immunity.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 9:06 pm
I was born in 1985 and I just got my results of my pregnancy bloodwork and I am not immune.
I was told I would get the shot 24 hours after I deliver, Because its not safe to take in pregnancy.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 1:08 am
naomi2 wrote:

If 93% of people are immune from one MMR, why do they require everybody to get 2 MMRs? Wouldn’t it make sense to check titers first and only those who are not immune after 1 MMR would be required to get the second one?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 4:45 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
If 93% of people are immune from one MMR, why do they require everybody to get 2 MMRs? Wouldn’t it make sense to check titers first and only those who are not immune after 1 MMR would be required to get the second one?

I don't know the answer specifically, but one of my young children once needed bloodwork and it was h*ll. She was this skinny little thing and it was quite painful to get a few vials. It's very possible it's more beneficial and easier to give a second shot on a mass scale than draw blood on a mass scale. It's not a prick. It's putting a tie on the arm, finding a vein, etc.

To op, I was born in 1985. Measles and rubella titers are routinely checked during pregnancy and I'm immune. No idea how many shots I got.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:12 am

On another (not Jewish) board, I've read that titer tests are quite expensive, more expensive than the MMR, and less likely to be covered by insurance.

Remember, also, that most of us think that that reports of MMR side effects are overblown, so we're not concerned about an extra shot.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:19 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I don't know the answer specifically, but one of my young children once needed bloodwork and it was h*ll. She was this skinny little thing and it was quite painful to get a few vials. It's very possible it's more beneficial and easier to give a second shot on a mass scale than draw blood on a mass scale. It's not a prick. It's putting a tie on the arm, finding a vein, etc.

To op, I was born in 1985. Measles and rubella titers are routinely checked during pregnancy and I'm immune. No idea how many shots I got.

Afaik, mumps and rubella were routinely checked, not measles, until the last one or two years when outbreaks became more common

nchr

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:47 am

Because while titers are an accurate representation when they indicate positive immunity, they involve many false negatives. That is because a person could actually be immune but have titers that do not indicate that. Something similar with be blood tests for allergies, which may indicate a person is not allergic to something that they end up reacting to (even severely) when exposed. A person may be immune but have titers that do not indicate that, especially if they have not recently been exposed. You'd end up spending lots of money (not covered by insurance) on titer testing and still end up with an additional vaccine. Since the MMR vaccine is safe, effective and tolerable, we just give another one.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:57 am
Interesting. I just checked my immunization records which my mom gave to me when I got married.

I was born in NYS (not NYC)in 1983. I was given the measles vaccine as an 18 month old and then 3 weeks later I was given rubella and measles vaccinations on the same day as seperate shots.

I had a booster MMR as an 8 year old.

Weird that people are younger then me and weren't given the booster shot. That is what they used to call it.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I was born in 1985 and I just got my results of my pregnancy bloodwork and I am not immune.
I was told I would get the shot 24 hours after I deliver, Because its not safe to take in pregnancy.

And Im only due in october.
My Dr. Told me to stay away from ppl wirh rashes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics