Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can I serve something made with matzo meal tomorrow?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:48 pm
I was planning to serve Pesach meatballs for a filling lunch tomorrow, but realized that I made them with matzo meal (we eat gebrokts). I know that we don't eat matzo tomorrow, but are dishes made with matzo meal okay, or also included in refraining from matzo on Erev Pesach?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:49 pm
You're not supposed to.
Meatballs are great with mashed potatoes as a binder.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:51 pm
We asked this. We dont hold that gebroks is chametz, and its not pesach yet, so we buy cheap snacks like klp bissli and kitnios klp snacks and let the kids eat it and not worry about crumbs. So I assume matza meal in meatballs are ok.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 2:56 pm
It's not a question of gebroks.

There is a minhag not to eat matza for a set time before Pesach. Some hold for 30 days, some hold from Rosh Chodesh, and some just hold erev Pesach. If that is your minhag then you should not be eating anything with matza meal in tomorrow. Sorry.

Reality

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:05 pm
Really? I remember learning in high school halacha class that you are allowed to eat knaidelach on erev pesach. If it doesn't look like matzah anymore it shouldn't be a problem.

I am going to ask now to confirm this.

geemum

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:08 pm
My husband asked LOR about eating food with matza meal in during Nissan. He said it's allowed as you don't taste the matza, which is what we are trying to avoid, to build up appetite for the matzas at the seder.

Reality

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:11 pm
Just got off the phone with my Rav.

You are allowed to eat food that is made with matzah meal.

An adult shouldn't eat it too close to candle lighting (about 2 hours before) because it is filling and will take away your appetite for the seder.

Children can eat it at any time.

Hope that helps you!

Have a good yom tov!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:21 pm
We don't eat gebrokts on pesach but erev pesach we always eat foods made with matzo meal. I never thought it'll be a sheila.

etky

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 3:32 pm
According to some poskim there is also a difference between baked dishes with matzo meal (like cake) and cooked dishes that contain matzo meal.

abaker

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:00 pm
Theres a shiur called "overview of hilchot pesach 5779" on Torah anytime by rabbi fuerst. He mentions how cooked foods such as kneidelach may be eaten erev pesach. It's the actual (baked) matzah we avoid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics