Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Is perfume permissible on Pesach?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:12 pm
For those that hold that even nonedible chometz is forbidden, is perfume considered chametz? Does it vary by brand?
What about body lotions?

I have stuff from YSL and Ralph Lauren; lotions, colognes, perfumes etc.

Another question:
Are the scented sachets ok?

Thanks

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:13 pm
Many who hold that one can use non edible chometz do not hold so for liquids like perfume and deodorant, so perfume actually has to be approved for pesach. Very few are listed ok.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:14 pm
A friend of mine wants to know this, too. She feels naked without some kind of scent, and it's really bothering her. She wants to know if essential oils are permitted, too.

I don't know enough about perfumes and oils to know if they are distilled in alcohol, and if so in what kind of alcohol. I think grain alcohol is problematic, but how would you know? It never says on the bottle exactly what kind of process they use for distillation.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Many who hold that one can use non edible chometz do not hold so for liquids like perfume and deodorant, so perfume actually has to be approved for pesach. Very few are listed ok.

The OU says that perfumes are fine.

https://oukosher.org/passover/.....tems/

loveandpeace

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:37 pm
Made in France is ok

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:48 pm
Several popular brands are ok, per rabbi blumencrantz. All Jo Malone and Chanel. If you have a particular fave and don't have the book, post the name and I will look it up. Or tell DH that you have worked VERY HARD, and deserve a new perfume.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:12 pm
Ou says perfumes r okay to use on pesach without a certification. Crc says that you need to check if it has denatured alchohol in the ingredients.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:08 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Several popular brands are ok, per rabbi blumencrantz. All Jo Malone and Chanel. If you have a particular fave and don't have the book, post the name and I will look it up. Or tell DH that you have worked VERY HARD, and deserve a new perfume.

Taking you up on your offer....

RL tender romance
YSL BLACK OPIUM
YSL MON PARIS

OR lotions/moisturizers of same

N'sMom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:20 pm
My pleasure but.... none of those are listed either in R Blumencrantz or Star k books.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:20 pm
My pleasure but.... none of those are listed either in R Blumencrantz or Star k books.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:21 pm
What about Viva La Juicy?
Thanks

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:23 pm
Also not listed. Sorry Crying

srbmom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:25 pm
Quote:
Crc says that you need to check if it has denatured alchohol in the ingredients.

Thanks for this info. Both perfumes I have contain this ingredient Crying

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 12:40 am
What abt Marc Jacob daisy?

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 12:51 am
I once heard that cetyl alcohol is a problem. Others are ok. Maybe check ingredients.

Truthfully I dont understand selling them.
Which perfume is edible.??..

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:25 am
mom2mysouls wrote:
I once heard that cetyl alcohol is a problem. Others are ok. Maybe check ingredients.

Truthfully I dont understand selling them.
Which perfume is edible.??..

I read in an explanation, don't remember the source, that alcoholics, if they lack better booze, will sometimes drink perfume for it's alcohol content. There apparently also cases of prisoners and of soldiers in war who did this. Some weeks ago I read a news item about people getting poisoned from drinking disinfectant alcohol...

So, for some humans it is considered "edible" even if most of us wouldn't try it. And if the alcohol is grain based, it makes it chametz.

I always sell my perfumes and deodorants with the chametz and use only alcohol free deodorant during Pessach.

etky

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 1:55 am
Very next thing on my 'to do' list is to stow away my perfumes for the chag.
I postpone it to the very last moment, right before sof zman achilat chametz Sad
I have one scent that is oil based and that is what I wear throughout Pesach.
I don't touch it the rest of the year, after wearing it for eight days straight Rolling Eyes
I think though that this is a stringency. Most people in my circles wear scents on Pesach.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 4:02 am
How about Poison? CK1?

giselle

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 8:02 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
I read in an explanation, don't remember the source, that alcoholics, if they lack better booze, will sometimes drink perfume for it's alcohol content. There apparently also cases of prisoners and of soldiers in war who did this. Some weeks ago I read a news item about people getting poisoned from drinking disinfectant alcohol...

So, for some humans it is considered "edible" even if most of us wouldn't try it. And if the alcohol is grain based, it makes it chametz.

I always sell my perfumes and deodorants with the chametz and use only alcohol free deodorant during Pessach.

If they were poisoned by it, that is proof that it does not need to be K for P.

sky

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 8:04 am
I know the perfume lists never seem to have anything I own. We mainly rely on Rabbi bess’s list. (He is also available by email)

I think some people only use klp perfume because you are getting enjoyment from the smell of the chometz and that is it’s inteded purpose.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics