Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Still wears a pull up

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:38 pm
My ds is almost 6 and still wears a pull up every night to bed. And every morning, it’s completely full. I tried taking away his cup, making charts and nothing works. He wants to stop wetting his bed very badly but I don’t know what to do. Any advice? Confused

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 7:46 pm
Wait it out. Considered normally till age 12

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:28 pm
Wake him up before you go to bed, to take him to the bathroom. It will probably keep him clean. I read up about this once because we have the same issue, and it said that if you are consistent in taking him to the bathroom at night, his body will get used to waking up to go himself. ( we are just starting to so this).
It also suggested to have an alarm clock that will wake him up to go to the bathroom by himself.
Anyway, its still ok at this age.
Hatzlocha!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:38 pm
My daughter is turning six and has the same issue. I know that if I wake her several times every night she will be dry and eventually get used to it.

But she and her younger sister just recently finally learned to sleep without their pacifier so I don't feel up to tackling another project just yet. After Pesach? Definitely maybe.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 8:38 pm
My son is almost 9 and in pull ups. For some reason he can keep dry for months but regresses...I stopped trying. It takes too much energy to keep changing his linen.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:01 pm
There is a night alarm that has a sensor that goes in the underwear and goes off when the child wets his underwear. It trains the child to wake himself up when he needs to use the bathroom. I rarely respond to posts, but it would be remiss of me not to mention this. It has an incredibly high success rate (90 plus percent)! It worked wonders with my six year old. Ask your pediatrician about it.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:29 pm
Had the same situation with one of mine. Outgrew it on their own by 8.
Hang in there! My pediatrician told me it has to do with bladder size and ability & isn’t the kids choice. Some bodies are ready earlier/later.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 9:55 pm
One of my DSs wet every night until age 14. Now another is 8 and he pees so much it leaks out of the biggest size of Good Nites. I literally wash is linen every other day . It's a nightmare.
It's very hereditary. My father wet until 12 and 2 out of three of my brothers wet until 12 nightly as well.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:14 pm
I have a girl so it might be different, but our pediatrician didn't suggest intervention before age seven. We used an alarm at age eight. Worked like a charm.

soap suds

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:38 pm
Never tried it myself, but heard from multiple people how great this alarm is.

abaker

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:43 pm
Have you tried putting him to bed without a pull up and taking him to bathroom right before bed? And then take him in the middle of the night as well. So if you put him in bed at 8pm. Take him at like 10 or 11 to the toilet. I found that the pull up/diapers were NEVER dry in the morning. It was just a matter of getting use to the new idea of no more diapers at night for my oldest. OP I don't know if you tried this but I figured I'd suggest it incase it can help you or someone else out.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:06 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Hang in there! My pediatrician told me it has to do with bladder size and ability & isn’t the kids choice. Some bodies are ready earlier/later.

Same here. It runs in my family and doctors have said it is not in the kids' control. They have to outgrow it. I do agree with others who suggest taking the child to the bathroom during the night.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:39 am
My son is 10! We tried the alarm. He didn’t wake up. We tried taking him every night at 12 - he still woke up wet. He tried going to sleep without and woke up wet. He is a huge guy (size 18) so finding a size that fits is a joke.
He sees an ENT dr for unrelated issues and we found he had sleep apnea and took out his tonsils. It didn’t help. The ENT referred us to a urologist. My dr (dr Shanick in Lakewood) practically forbade it and said it isn’t fair to drive the child crazy. So we are still waiting.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 2:49 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

Same age 8.5. Pull ups were very soaked until that point

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 6:54 am
It's most likely genetic, and has to do with body maturity.

Some kids are incredibly deep sleepers, like dead to the world deep. You could pick the kid up, put them on the toilet, take them back to bed, and they'd sleep through the whole thing. They won't wake up for anything until they are old enough. There's really nothing you can do about it until then.

It's a real nisayon. Just daven that it's the worst thing you'll have to deal with, and be patient. Hug

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 7:04 am
It makes me so sad that parents think this is an "issue." It's not! It's totally and completely normal for a child that age to wet at night. Many, many kids do. Almost all will outgrow it on their own, out of the blue, before age 8. If they don't, you can try intervention at that age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers