Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Roasted lamb-allowed to eat on seder?

racheli:)

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:29 pm
I was planning on making a roasted lamb with potatoes in sauce for first seder and then eat leftovers next seder, and now my MIL told me I can’t serve it on seders bc since I will be baking it in the oven its like korban pessach. Unless I cook it in water or fry it. Is this a real thing?

paperflowers

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:31 pm
It’s a real minhag not to have roast at the Seder. And I would think roasted lamb would be especially problematic.

racheli:)

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:32 pm
Yes You are right. It makes sense. I think from all cleaning and cooking I started loosing my mind Smile Thank you!

Moonlight

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:46 pm
Yes you cannot eat any roasted meat at sederim

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 10:48 pm
Ask your rav. If it's in a sauce it's not considered roasted. You are not cooking it over a spit.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:00 pm
I believe Sfardim do not have any restrictions around eating roasted meat at seder, but Ashkenazim do.

Rappel

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 4:21 am
DrMom wrote:
I believe Sfardim do not have any restrictions around eating roasted meat at seder, but Ashkenazim do.

True, with a caveat: you are not allowed, in any way, to say something like "Hey! It's the korban Pesach!" If you do, it's Assur to eat, so people don't get confused.

I know a shepherd who's wife is a very simple Jew, and they specifically did a shechitah before Purim so they could serve their guests in style for Purim and Pesach. Unfortunately, she didn't read the halacha beforehand, and she joked that the lamb was their korban Pesach, and thus they couldn't have their main course.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 5:28 am
My yemenite friend tells me how his family always barbecued lamb for the seder. Smile

You can cook lamb (or beef, or chicken) in a liquid, even in the oven. But I would stick to a cut of meat that needs braising rather then dry roasting.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 19 2019, 8:35 am
It's a real minhag to do it - just not full
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics