Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you eat only peeled produce?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:08 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Can you explain the Romaine exemption? It isn't required to be used for maror and horseradish can be peeled.

It’s our minhag to use it on the Seder plate for maror and chazeres. Though many Chabad families don't use it other than for the Seder, we do but we use a specific bucket for washing it that isn't used for anything else.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:09 am
Some people don't eat with seeds because if a kernel of wheat was mixed with the seeds & grown into the vegetable like cucumbers, eggplant & gets eaten. Some people won't do cantaloupe & butternut squash either even if seeds removed. Bh we do eat these veg. These people are extremely limited

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:12 am
dankbar wrote:
Some people don't eat with seeds because if a kernel of wheat was mixed with the seeds & grown into the vegetable like cucumbers, eggplant & gets eaten. Some people won't do cantaloupe & butternut squash either even if seeds removed. Bh we do eat these veg. These people are extremely limited

Have you ever heard of or seen this actually happen? This seems like quite the stretch to me.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:14 am
Deleted because eta later & by mistake appeared in two sep posts

Last edited by dankbar on Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:18 am
DrMom wrote:
If you consider dirt from the bottom of one's shoes to be chametz, wouldn't it make sense to remove shoes before entering the home on Pesach?

I thought the halacha was not to have chametz in one's home on Pesach.

And ditto for vegetable peels: why allow unpeeled vegetables into your home if you think the peels are suspected of containing chametz?

I've never asked so I don't know for sure, but here's what I think. the issur on owning chametz applies to more than a kezayis (and then you nullify the rest of it), whereas there is no leniency for eating chametz (no "less than a kezayis" or "batel bshishim" or anything like that) and even the tiniest speck counts. By that logic, it makes sense (IMO) to peel anything you'd get from a chametzdik grocery store, etc., just in case.

That said, although we peel for that reason, we will eat by people who don't.

saw50st wrote:
Can you explain the Romaine exemption? It isn't required to be used for maror and horseradish can be peeled.

(Did I do this right? I've never before managed to quote more than one person in a post.)

I've also wondered about the Romaine exemption. I found out this year that my rebbetzin "peels" her lettuce--that is, buys the head and removes the outer leaves and won't use them. I don't know if that is required or that's her chumra, but it makes sense to me, if you're going that far already.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:20 am
Pesach everyone goes according to mesorah, how their parents did. Everyone has different chumros. There are people that don't eat different things. Some wont do fish. Others Organ meat like liver. Still others no beef.
No tongue or gizzards where animal ate with. No oil only schmaltz. No potato starch. No mishing. Which means besides no processed store bought food or ingredients they also dont eat homemade food by others. I even heard people that dont use carrots or bananas. Also read that in Germany the rabbanim wanted to ban potatoes on pesach.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:22 am
dankbar wrote:
Pesach everyone goes according to mesorah, how their parents did. Everyone has different chumros. There are people that don't eat different things. Some wont do fish. Others Organ meat like liver. Still others no beef.

I know. Still seems like some things are very far removed from the halachos and I wonder where the line is drawn before these chumrahs are adding to the torah, which is a very serious issur.

nchr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:22 am
Only peeled foods, but I buy broccoli, chop off the head and give it to a friend whose birds eat them, peel the stalk and then roast the remaining part of the stalk which is very delicious.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:27 am
watergirl wrote:
Have you ever heard of or seen this actually happen? This seems like quite the stretch to me.

The thing is that here we have mass fields where every vegetable is planted at it's designated place so things don't mix so easily. Think shtetl life where everyone had their little garden & food that was planted right next to wheat wasn't eaten. Every place had different food next to wheat. That's how the chumros/mesorah started, where in every place different things weren't eaten. These chumros stay as mesorah, regardless if done differently today. Let's say some still won't eat fish because it used to be smeared with chometz to preserve it, or baited with bread, even if it's not done that way anymore let's say.

Last edited by dankbar on Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:27 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
No tongue or gizzards where animal ate with. No oil only schmaltz. No potato starch. No mishing. Which means besides no processed store bought food or ingredients they also dont eat homemade food by others. I even heard people that dont use carrots or bananas. Also read that in Germany the rabbanim wanted to ban potatoes on pesach.

WOW! (And yes, I heard it was the Chaye Adam, and he thought potatoes should be kitniyos.) I've never heard of not eating beef. Why would that be? I'm just curious because I think the Gemara says we should eat meat on Yom Tov, so that's basically the only time my husband eats it at all.

And I know about the no oil only schmaltz, but I don't know why. Is it because oil is processed?

And what on earth would be the reason for no carrots or bananas?

I hope I don't come across as condescending, I only mean to sound surprised. We also have a lot of chumros, but at least I know where they come from--like in Viznitz they don't eat fish because in the old country it used to be preserved in beer so was automatically chametz--so I'm just curious about the rest of what you listed, if anyone knows the reason.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:39 am
Yes fish used to be preserved in alcohol.

Beef don't know reason. I just know when we used to all go to my mom she would cook differently for everyone, to follow everyone's different chumros. So she did chicken & beef by every meal because one had chumra of no beef according to their family.
One only ate live fish like carp. So she had different type of fish.
Salmon, carp, gefilte for those that ate, falshe (mock) fish balls made with ground chicken.
Every dish she had with starch or without.
With schmaltz or oil.

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:41 am
Only peeled veggies. Litvish.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:47 am
Looks like many people do only peeled not only chassidish according to responses. I though only chassidish do

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:05 am
Metukah wrote:
Strawberries can technically be peeled. My mother peeled strawberries for a fruit salad yesterday. It was delicious.

Hashem bless your mother for all that work!

We don't peel our vegetables. And I don't think my family could survive a week without garlic.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:39 am
Why no beef?

And if fish *isn't* preserved in alcohol (never heard that one before) then why can't you eat it?

And bananas? That seems like the perfect Pesach-compliant food. Maybe it's too constipating, esp after a week of matzoh and hardly any permissible roughage-comtaining veggies?

trixx

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:43 am
watergirl wrote:

Yep. I know a few families like this.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:44 am
SYA wrote:
Eat only produce that can be peeled, with romaine lettuce the exception.
Chabad.

Same.
And romaine only for the seders.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:52 am
trixx wrote:
Yep. I know a few families like this.

Noooo. I meant that the wheat kernel would appear in the vegetable, or whatever the worry is.

MommyM

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:42 am
Only peeled fruits and vegetables. Chabad

Metukah

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:00 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Hashem bless your mother for all that work!

We don't peel our vegetables. And I don't think my family could survive a week without garlic.

Indeed
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics