Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to do by myself on Chol Hamoed?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:16 am
DH is in school, no kids yet, and I took off from work. First time I’ve spent Chol Hamoed basically alone and not sure what to do that’s fun! I’m seeing a friend for a bit today and I know I have to go grocery shopping but what else?

cm

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:29 am
What do you like to do? Museum, historic site, nature walk, window shopping, spa treatment...

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:31 am
If it's any comfort, I'm on my own as well. Hi
Trying to keep busy prepping for supper, nothing much else to do. Get out if you can. Is there a park or lake nearby? Can you take a walk somewhere as a detour on your shopping trip?

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:18 am
Why don't you go somewhere together with your friend?

Or you can relax at home, like read, watch something.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:20 am
I'm so excited for my day off. Ex is taking the kids today.

I plan to visit some places in the city that I never have time for. Book store, specialty shops, and a museum if I have time for it.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:27 am
One day someone is taking my boys out so I want to get to see Ripleys Believe it or Not, in Time Square

aricelli

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 11:46 am
dankbar wrote:
One day someone is taking my boys out so I want to get to see Ripleys Believe it or Not, in Time Square

Thats fun! Did that last year- are your boys big? Do it with them one time too. My big boys loved it. My little boy loved it too but theres a room of torture equipment and real “shrunken heads” and he had serious nightmares and anxiety from that! Enjoy it!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DH is in school, no kids yet, and I took off from work. First time I’ve spent Chol Hamoed basically alone and not sure what to do that’s fun! I’m seeing a friend for a bit today and I know I have to go grocery shopping but what else?

Anything! I would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Don’t get a second to myself without some kid grabbing me or demanding something from me. Currently hanging out (hiding) in the car just to write this...

OP, do whatever you feel like, enjoy your freedom while you have it and don’t waste time on here with us! If you don’t know what you like, spend your time this week working it out! Enjoy! Hatzlacha.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Anything! I would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Don’t get a second to myself without some kid grabbing me or demanding something from me. Currently hanging out (hiding) in the car just to write this...
I
OP, do whatever you feel like, enjoy your freedom while you have it and don’t waste time on here with us! If you don’t know what you like, spend your time this week working it out! Enjoy! Hatzlacha.

You might not realize how insensitive you come across but we have no idea from op's post if she is a newlywed or going through if or other medical conditions to cause her not to have kids yet. To say you would trade places with someone in a heartbeat is showing a real lack of gratitude to Hashem for your kids and can feel like a slap in the face to someone who desperately wants kids.

Eta that I have been on both sides of the fence and I know what's it's like to have an empty quiet house and I know what it's like to just wish you could go out and do something for yourself without finding a babysitter but you have to choose the right people to vent too.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 1:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Go for a walk and find a flowering fruit tree so you can say birchas ilanos.
Eat some chocolate or prepare yourself a big colorful salad.
Go to a museum you’ve never had a chance to visit and spend as long or as short as you want looking at whatever interests you.
Treat yourself to a good book or a good sefer if the Seder left you feeling in the mood for inspiration.
Try out one of the recipes you didn’t have time for in the pre Yom Tov rush.
Go to the fanciest department store you can get to and try on everything in your favorite color. Ignore snobby sales ladies.
Call that elderly relative you never have time to talk to.
Relax.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Barnes and nobles

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:36 pm
You can go visit some bubby, great aunt, tante or any elderly lonely woman you know.

turca

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:53 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
You might not realize how insensitive you come across but we have no idea from op's post if she is a newlywed or going through if or other medical conditions to cause her not to have kids yet. To say you would trade places with someone in a heartbeat is showing a real lack of gratitude to Hashem for your kids and can feel like a slap in the face to someone who desperately wants kids.

Eta that I have been on both sides of the fence and I know what's it's like to have an empty quiet house and I know what it's like to just wish you could go out and do something for yourself without finding a babysitter but you have to choose the right people to vent too.

Why can’t a mother of a family with kids wish to have some time off? And u give a speech that she should be more grateful to Hashem? Who do you think you are?
Sorry, this is the internet! Op posted in a “pesach” board , not in a infertility one.

cheese cake

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:58 pm
dankbar wrote:

It's a great place to visit. I went one year with a friend and we really had a nice time. Enjoy!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:59 pm
Mani pedi. Spa. Go see a movie. Cook a gourmet dinner. Come visit me at work.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:19 pm
turca wrote:
Why can’t a mother of a family with kids wish to have some time off? And u give a speech that she should be more grateful to Hashem? Who do you think you are?
Sorry, this is the internet! Op posted in a “pesach” board , not in a infertility one.

When someone posts they have no kids yet , it doesn't take much seichel to realize that it might be a sore topic and that is not the place to complain about your kids. If someone posts on other threads complaining about their kids I ignore it ... but to come into a thread where someone is saying they don't have kids and say you would change places with them in a heartbeat is just obnoxious. And saying you would change places is different than wishing for some free time.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:33 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
When someone posts they have no kids yet , it doesn't take much seichel to realize that it might be a sore topic and that is not the place to complain about your kids. If someone posts on other threads complaining about their kids I ignore it ... but to come into a thread where someone is saying they don't have kids and say you would change places with them in a heartbeat is just obnoxious. And saying you would change places is different than wishing for some free time.

Thank you Turca for sticking up for my post.

A few facts:

1. OP, I am sorry if my post was insensitive. I am not sure if you found it so as it was another poster who suggested that it was, not you. If you did, that was not my intention.

2. notshanarishona, I am sorry you seem triggered by my post. I think however, you didn’t need to jump down my throat. I had my first child at 35 and that is all I am saying on the subject here. As Turca rightly pointed out, this is a Pesach not an infertility forum.

3. And yes, right now, I may be feeling ingratitude towards Hashem/my DCs but that doesn’t mean I can’t vent that I would rather be able to have time off free from obligations to all and sundry right now. I would love time off to myself, maybe that would make me more grateful.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:40 pm
I am in a similar situation as I am a widow and DD has to go into work most of the week and is seeing friends on the one day she isn't. I am thinking of going to the Bronx botanical gardens. In addition to all the flowers being in bloom they have an orchid show. But that's MY cu of tea. The real answer to your question is that you need to do something that's yours. Most of the ideas here are things that I can see someone enjoying. Bottom line is you do you.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:44 pm
A friend of mine told me she once blurted out to a person, you are lucky, when the woman said she had no kids. And then didn't understand why I said she probably went home and cried. I think notshanrishona's explanation is really all that is needed. This has nothing to do with being triggered, this has to do with being aware of your audience and not just blurting things out and then refusing to hear any valid feedback on it.

Learning

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 4:45 pm
Go to exercise at a gym or take an exercise class for part of the day
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics