Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
So...How's your pesach hotel going???
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:58 am
Amethyst, know there are programs in tri state area much less expensive than the ones we discuss here for retirees. My aunt and uncle, both mid-70s, have done it 4 years now and it's been lovely. No crazy trips or costly entertainers. They are old school brooklynites, frugal as they come and spend on this. I know one in CT but cant recall the name of the producer. Perhaps another ima would know.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:32 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Because their job is, literally, assuring me that the food I eat is kosher. They serve no other purpose. They don't cook. They don't clean. They don't serve.

And you're trying to convince us that its OK if they certify things as kosher that they actually don't believe are.

I'm all for leniencies. If the leniency allows the food to be kosher.

But if, according to the mashgiach, the food actually not kosher because of those leniencies, then he's causing me to violate Pesach.

I was going to stay out of this, but you’re wrong. A mashgiach certifies that food is kosher to specific standards. His personal beliefs have nothing to do with the agency he works for. Many agencies have mashgichim who hold higher standards for their own personal food. That doesn’t mean they don’t think the food is kosher. No respectable madhgiach will certify that something is kosher if he thinks it isn’t. Agencies rely on leniencies that many individuals don’t rely on.
She didn’t say he doesn’t think the food is kosher, she said that he doesn’t hold, for personal use, of the leniencoes that the supervising agency hold of. That’s all.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:36 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I was going to stay out of this, but you’re wrong. A mashgiach certifies that food is kosher to specific standards. His personal beliefs have nothing to do with the agency he works for. Many agencies have mashgichim who hold higher standards for their own personal food. That doesn’t mean they don’t think the food is kosher. No respectable madhgiach will certify that something is kosher if he thinks it isn’t. Agencies rely on leniencies that many individuals don’t rely on.
She didn’t say he doesn’t think the food is kosher, she said that he doesn’t hold, for personal use, of the leniencoes that the supervising agency hold of. That’s all.

Plus there are people who on pesach just don't eat food from outside their own kitchens. So if their neighbor holds exactly the same minhagim/ chumras and they are 100% sure everything they are doing is exactly to their own standard, they still will not eat there.

I've been to community seders at shuls where the food was catered but the rabbi and his family ate their own food. You think they were serving non-kosher or non-pesadich food? Of course not! But they don't mish.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:39 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
One thing that struck me and irritated me was, twice since last night, 2 litttle kids from different families were found in the hotel lobby crying unable to find their parents! Mothers, fathers, what is wrong with you? Stop being selfish and watch your kids properly! Anyone could walk off with a child and the parent wouldn’t know any better for who knows how long! What’s also striking is that it’s always a stranger posting a pic of the child and looking for their parents, before any of the parents post a pic and search for their own child! They’re too busy changing their outfit every 10 minutes and showing off to their friends, enjoying themsleves, stuffing their face.

We’ve gone to hotels a few timed (not for any chagim, for shabbaton) and a child has gotten lost two times. I resent being called selfish, as I am absolutely not!!! I had a 6 year old wander off with her friend, and they ended up on the third floor. I had a two year old wander out of a locked room while I was sleeping, in the middle of the night. I’ve also returned crying kids to their parents. There was not one time when the parents were not already looking for their child. They weren’t busy being selfish and changing their outfits. Mom that kid was in one place (day care, with sibling, with dad) but child wandered off. It happens. It’s not always about bad parenting.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:08 pm
[quote="Ema of 4"]We’ve gone to hotels a few timed (not for any chagim, for shabbaton) and I have lost a child two times.

Can you change your words: Twice, A child of mine got lost

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:27 pm
[quote="dankbar"]
Ema of 4 wrote:
We’ve gone to hotels a few timed (not for any chagim, for shabbaton) and I have lost a child two times.

Can you change your words: Twice, A child of mine got lost

Done

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:37 pm
About How much does Kmr cost per person?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Gd you really are relentless.

I’m worried about the fact that the matzah isn’t shmurah and that the meat is rabbanut and the cheese not C”Y.

However sometimes I got to put aside the chumrahs I grew up with for the sake of shalom and kibud av.

If you really want more details post non anonymously so I can pm you Twisted Evil

Hi, great response to that poster, thank you.

I am just curious: are you certain the cheese isn’t CY? I ask as I have never seen Pesach cheese that isn’t CY?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:19 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

I am just curious: are you certain the cheese isn’t CY? I ask as I have never seen Pesach cheese that isn’t CY?

Thank you.

You are probably right about the cheese (which happens to taste disgusting and I bought my trusty American style mozzarella along...) but I meant in general when we go out to eat with my in-laws or go away with them these are some concerns I have.

Regardless, my own father who is extremely extremely makpid (he won’t even in eat in some Lakewood restaurants..) used to eat cholov akum when we visited my grandparents.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:20 pm
Away other then the kashrut issues I’m really enjoying this experience.

First time in a hotel for pesach.

(But I must admit I miss my moms pesach brownies and good home cooked food though I don’t dare tell her...)

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:03 pm

If you really want more details post non anonymously so I can pm you Twisted Evil

Amazingly enough this was posted from someone posting anonymously! You can’t make this up. Oh, and to quote her again, “Twisted Evil

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:08 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
There is this famous story of the Belzer Rebbe ZTL (I think.) who was machmir on not eating gebrokts but either when he was at his mother's house or his mother at his house (don't remember the precise details) his mother brok'ed into his soup plate. Not only did he remain silent. But he ate his soup in its entirety so not to embarrass his mother.

So I guess kibbud av vaim does trump other halachos/minhagim sometimes.

We’re not talking minhagim or Machmir. Kashrut is a whole different level and not comparable.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:09 pm

I’m worried about the fact that the matzah isn’t shmurah and that the meat is rabbanut and the cheese not C”Y.

However sometimes I got to put aside the chumrahs I grew up with for the sake of shalom and kibud av.

You should be worried about rabanut meat and no shumura matzah.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:11 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You’re giving a Thumbs up to someone who’s posting anonymously, berating another for posting anonymously ! Can't Believe It LOL Can't Believe It LOL

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:13 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Sorry, but that doesn't fly with me.

His job is certifying to others that the food they eat is kosher. If he doesn't believe it is, then he shouldn't certify it. If that means taking a different job, where he won't be defrauding people into believing that their food is actually kosher, then so be it.

Exactly!!!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:18 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Exactly. I'm the one who posted a few days ago asking about a Rav who can help me set boundaries with my mother when my parents come for Pesach.
I hire my cleaning lady, and my mother monopolizes her for jobs I didn't need her to do.
I try to cook, but my mom completely takes over my kitchen, my fridge, my cabinets, etc. She rearranges my things, leaves the kitchen a disaster, has no shortage of hurtful words and criticism... however, she does contribute to the food supply by helping with the shopping and cooking, and she paid for a few hours of my cleaning lady.
Her efforts, while appreciated, don't compensate. I still feel like an unwanted guest in my own home. I had all the work of making Pesach, with none of the nachas afterwards. My enjoyment of yom tov was taken from me. And no amount of cleaning help or soups or pesach cakes can rectify that. As long as my mother is in my house, making it about her and her needs and how my efforts fell short, the atmosphere is tense and suffocating.
Yet I love my parents and I know they love me and mean well. If I had the funds, I would send them to a hotel in a heartbeat.

Just remember that the big sacrifices you’re making to be respectful and accommodating of your mother even while she’s difficult is a very big sechus and you’ll get very big reward! I admire u!

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:21 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

Not every mashgiach holds like u described, I know some that always say to their family that they’ll never certify a place where he himself won’t eat from and he Davka eats there to show people, and also Pesach hotels he’d certify he eats every meal with everyone else

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:22 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
We’ve gone to hotels a few timed (not for any chagim, for shabbaton) and a child has gotten lost two times. I resent being called selfish, as I am absolutely not!!! I had a 6 year old wander off with her friend, and they ended up on the third floor. I had a two year old wander out of a locked room while I was sleeping, in the middle of the night. I’ve also returned crying kids to their parents. There was not one time when the parents were not already looking for their child. They weren’t busy being selfish and changing their outfits. Mom that kid was in one place (day care, with sibling, with dad) but child wandered off. It happens. It’s not always about bad parenting.

It’s hard to use those excuses when the kids are in the dining area with their food, as these kids were, and their parents are nowhere to be found!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:23 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Not every mashgiach holds like u described, I know some that always say to their family that they’ll never certify a place where he himself won’t eat from and he Davka eats there to show people, and also Pesach hotels he’d certify he eats every meal with everyone else

Really, and what does he do if he keeps chalav yisrael and is certifying a chalav stam? Does he refuse the job? Doesn't sound like he would be called on to be a mashgiach very often.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:24 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

Ah we have a 3rd person here admiring an anonymous poster who condemns another anonymous poster for posting anonymously! Is this really the level of the Emas here?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics