Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Anina
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 1:48 pm
What are your thoughts on this name? Have you heard it used before? Do you think it would be ok to use to honour a Chana?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:02 pm
Chana or Chani is a beautiful name.
IMO this would ruin it.

Pooh

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:04 pm
It’s what my daughter with a speech problem calls her friend Adina...

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:21 pm
Its Aramaic? I think its great.

cm

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:23 pm
I'm not familiar with this name. How is it spelled in Hebrew? Is it from the same shoresh as Chana?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:31 pm
Never heard of it, but it's a really pretty name.

nchr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:33 pm
I think it's a beautiful name and prefer it to Chana.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:36 pm
If you want to honour someone call her chana.
Or don’t and call her anina.
But don’t make up names and claim it’s for someone’s memory.
Her name was chana, not anina!

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:44 pm
Sounds to me like Polish cleaning lady Yanina

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 2:45 pm
OP here. I didn’t make up a name and claimed it was honouring someone. Please be kind and don’t put words into my mouth. I simply asked a question about whether it was possible to use Anina to honour a Chana. It’s ok if you don’t think Anina honours a Chana. Perfectly valid and what I was looking for. However, the tone I’m perceiving from the wording in your post is unkind.

etky

It's not a made up name although it is not a common one. It means someone with refined taste, usually in the context of food. Someone who is אנינת טעם has a discerning palate.
It has no inherent connection to Chana though.

nchr

amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

You should be banned from posting for a few dats after posting this as amother. How rude and obnoxious.

Also, people have different minhagin. IE my husbanda family believes adding a name makes it a new name and will therefore never combine two names. Other people just choose a letter or a meaning to honor someone. Some opinions say it is for the family members who are alive so whatever reminds them of the person is good enough. Not everyone has the same minhagin. Anina sounds similar enough to chanah to me that it could work.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 3:05 pm
Anina reminds me more of Chanina than Chana. I personally shy away from choosing names without a solid source. I’m not saying Anina doesn’t have a solid source, I’ve just never heard of it before. It’s pretty, it just takes some getting used to if you haven’t heard it before, because it’s similar to but not quite the same as other names... Chana/Chanina, Nina, Adina, Anya, etc.

Learning

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 5:58 pm
I don’t like the name. Because it’s refers to אנינת טעם and I don’t like the connotation regarding food and material stuff. There is also closeness to the word אונן that is someone in mourning

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:11 pm
I never heard the name Anina in a jewish context. Is it possible to honor a Chana with the name Anina? Sure, why not? But it's not the same as naming someone "chana". It's a bit farfetched.

There are sources about using the actual name. However, there might be a myriad of reasons why the actual name doesn't work in a particular situation. While it might not have the same spiritual effect that using the exact same name does (and I don't know, as I am not an expert in mystysicim and metaphysical currents!), you are still "honoring the memory" of a person.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:29 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Nothing wrong with not naming the exact name for someone, if that's your minhag. Maybe OP already has a daughter or other living relative, etc., named Chana and can't use it. I gave my daughter the second name Elisheva after my grandmother Rus which is even further removed and you wouldn't understand unless you knew my family.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:38 pm
I actually assumed it was with an ayin and has some connotation of Hashem answering...
About whether it can be associated with chana. -I know nothing of the halachic or kabbalistic ideas in naming after. - so not answering on that level. From a secular point. Naming after Chana with a derivative of Anna is not so off.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:39 pm
I never heard it used and would think many times before naming my child an unusual name , especially when you don't have a reason that you have to use the name.

geemum

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:40 pm
To me, it sounds like a Romanian - or Eastern European name, sorry :-/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 7:02 pm
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your responses and your wisdom.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names