Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Anina
Previous  1  2

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 7:07 pm
My elderly aunt's name is Anita and her Hebrew name is Chana.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 7:57 pm
Second vote for polish cleaning help.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:26 pm
I actually think it's really pretty and if it's a variant of Chana/Anna, it makes perfect sense to me. I get why some people don't like unusual names, but there's no reason to be nasty. To me as long as it's not hard to pronounce or spell, there's nothing wrong with straying from the usual. Your community probably matters, though--if you live in a community where there are only a few acceptable names, it probably isn't the best idea.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:34 pm
I think it's really beautiful.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:37 pm
Reminds me of Yonina which I have always loved.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:59 pm
If it's common where you live then it's no problem but if not think before giving such a name. It seems like it would fit right in if you live in Russia or Ukraine or any surrounding area maybe Hungary.

anuta

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:07 pm
I think it is too close to other names such as Nina, Anya, Anita, and Yonina, and the first impression is that it is one of these names with a strange variation or spelling. I speak Russian and Ukrainian, and to the above poster, Anina is neither a name nor nickname in these languages. Nina is a name and Anna with nicknames such as Anya or Anuta or Annushka or Nura or Nusha etc. (Anna is my name so I know all the Russian/ Ukrainian variations)

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:11 pm
Please do not use this pretty-sounding word as a given name. The word Anina is an alternative form of the word Aninut, which is the limbo-like not-quite-Avelut state of having lost a first-degree family member (one for whom one sits shiva) who has yet to be buried. (The person in Anina or Aninut is called an Onen, which term may be more familiar to you. It’s that dreadful time when your parent, spouse, child or sibling has died and you’re trying to assimilate your loss while making funeral and shiva arrangements and decisions, you shouldn’t know from this. ) The word Anina is also used to mean deep mourning or agony in general.

dankbar

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:22 pm
Right anina in Loshon kodesh would mean suffering or torture oneself like the 5 things we refrain on Yom Kippur to self inflict

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 9:43 pm
zaq wrote:
Please do not use this pretty-sounding word as a given name. The word Anina is an alternative form of the word Aninut, which is the limbo-like not-quite-Avelut state of having lost a first-degree family member (one for whom one sits shiva) who has yet to be buried. (The person in Anina or Aninut is called an Onen, which term may be more familiar to you. It’s that dreadful time when your parent, spouse, child or sibling has died and you’re trying to assimilate your loss while making funeral and shiva arrangements and decisions, you shouldn’t know from this. ) The word Anina is also used to mean deep mourning or agony in general.

Oh dear. This is definitely significant.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 10:00 pm
It sounds like the Spanish/English name Anita
Or reminds me of the name Nina
But doesn’t remind me of Chana at all

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:32 pm
I literally LOLed when I read Polish cleaning help because I came to this thread to write that it was the name of my Polish friend in high school!!

Doesn't sound Jewish.

Rappel

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 12:40 pm
zaq wrote:

Agreed.

If you're looking for an alternative to Chana, then maybe Chen appeals? It's a very popular girl's name in Israel right now.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names