Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Is the problem the no-vax or the no responsibility?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:33 pm
Perhaps I am missing something.

Full disclosure: Most of my children are not vaccinated. We do not live in or near any of the areas of current outbreak.

But:

If we are exposed to someone with measles, there is at most 4 days before that person will know that he/she has measles. And presumably, the health department will issue notices that people in a certain area on certain days may have been exposed.

The incubation period for measles is 7-21 days.

So if we find out that we may have been exposed, we simply quarantine ourselves for 3 weeks.

We let any potential guests know that we may have been exposed to measles, and that they are coming at their own risk and for their own safety should be fully vaccinated. (Of course this risk is minute as long as there are no signs of illness in our children, because from what I understand measles isn't contagious until you are feverish and feeling ill, although it isn't recognizable as measles until a few days later.)

My kids are homeschooled, I work from home, we don't live in an apartment building, and we rarely go out much beyond our yard. I got at least one MMR, but anyhow I can have groceries delivered to our porch and do not need to go out.

If none of us are sick after that three week period, we can safely assume we don't have the measles.

So how exactly are we "rodfim" and a danger to society? We are only choosing to accept a certain level of risk upon ourselves.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:37 pm
Very simply, only a tiny percentage of anti vaxxers would actually carry through with all of that. As evidenced by their current behavior during active outbreaks in their region.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:38 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Very simply, only a tiny percentage of anti vaxxers would actually carry through with all of that. As evidenced by their current behavior during active outbreaks in their region.

This

In the affected areas people people have large families kh and live all over each other . I know people that have knowingly let their kids play outside with neighbors and go to school when their children had measles.

Last edited by cnc on Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:39 pm
Forget "them." I am asking about ME.

Or, as the title of this thread, is the problem not vaccinating or being irresponsible about potentially spreading disease?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:40 pm
Both.

But we thank you sincerely for your responsibility.

momsrus

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Or, as the title of this thread, is the problem not vaccinating or being irresponsible about potentially spreading disease?

Spreading disease. If you want to live on a remote island, do whatever you please.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:42 pm
I guess that most people don't take those precautions so they spread the disease.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Obviously if you're choosing to be responsible about potentially spreading disease that's not the issue. Although I do think you're overly optimistic about the likelihood that you'll be made aware of every possible exposure within the time frames you listed. You haven't asked our opinion on your parenting choices so I won't comment on those.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:47 pm
The no vax is how it starts the no responsibility is what makes it impossible to control. if people would have done like what you said that outbreak most likely would have been over a long time ago and not drag on for over 6 months.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:51 pm
You may not know your child was exposed (not everyone is as responsible as you) and your child will be infectious for a few days before you realise what it is. Meanwhile you may have taken your kids to the supermarket, drs office, kids museum, library and so on.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:53 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Obviously if you're choosing to be responsible about potentially spreading disease that's not the issue. Although I do think you're overly optimistic about the likelihood that you'll be made aware of every possible exposure within the time frames you listed. You haven't asked our opinion on your parenting choices so I won't comment on those.

I am asking you honestly: Do you really think that the health department in the city of Yehupitz, where I live, is going to refrain from publicizing it if someone with measles came through?

Again, I understand that many have been extremely irresponsible, but I am not asking about or trying to defend them.

I am just trying to understand: Is MY FAMILY putting others at risk simply by being unvaccinated, or are we only a danger if we act irresponsibly?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:55 pm
Raisin wrote:
You may not know your child was exposed (not everyone is as responsible as you) and your child will be infectious for a few days before you realise what it is. Meanwhile you may have taken your kids to the supermarket, drs office, kids museum, library and so on.

Even if someone else was irresponsible, they have at most 4 days before they KNOW they are dealing with measles. And my children cannot possibly be contagious yet, because there is AT LEAST a 7-day incubation period (usually 14 days).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:56 pm
Yup. And if u ever travel by plane u can risk exposure and passing it on etc.
but in an area without an outbreak if u are super conscientious, pretty isolated and willing to take precautions as the need arise ur def not as bad as ‘them’. (My sister lives in a crowded development where most have an infant at any given moment, a family with 8 kids there proudly had the measles... they Bh for them did not have complications the kids went back to school after and showed off the leftover rash once they were cleared to go back. But ppl had her kids over the week before etc. it was seriously unreasonable and irresponsible)

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am asking you honestly: Do you really think that the health department in the city of Yehupitz, where I live, is going to refrain from publicizing it if someone with measles came through?

Again, I understand that many have been extremely irresponsible, but I am not asking about or trying to defend them.

I am just trying to understand: Is MY FAMILY putting others at risk simply by being unvaccinated, or are we only a danger if we act irresponsibly?

Do you think that Yehupitz knows that Jimmy stopped by the 7-11 when he was visiting his cousin Suzy, just a few hours after his exposure? Or that Shloimy davened shachrit on his way through town?

Do you never leave Yehupitz to visit, say, Greater Hooterville to buy shoes for the kids?

Its not so easy to know.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Perhaps I am missing something.

Full disclosure: Most of my children are not vaccinated. We do not live in or near any of the areas of current outbreak.

But:

If we are exposed to someone with measles, there is at most 4 days before that person will know that he/she has measles. And presumably, the health department will issue notices that people in a certain area on certain days may have been exposed.

The incubation period for measles is 7-21 days.

So if we find out that we may have been exposed, we simply quarantine ourselves for 3 weeks.

We let any potential guests know that we may have been exposed to measles, and that they are coming at their own risk and for their own safety should be fully vaccinated. (Of course this risk is minute as long as there are no signs of illness in our children, because from what I understand measles isn't contagious until you are feverish and feeling ill, although it isn't recognizable as measles until a few days later.)

My kids are homeschooled, I work from home, we don't live in an apartment building, and we rarely go out much beyond our yard. I got at least one MMR, but anyhow I can have groceries delivered to our porch and do not need to go out.

If none of us are sick after that three week period, we can safely assume we don't have the measles.

So how exactly are we "rodfim" and a danger to society? We are only choosing to accept a certain level of risk upon ourselves.
[b]

You answered your own question

Sebastian

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 6:59 pm
OP the lack of responsibility bothers me more than the non vax. Outside of an outbreak I don't care if ppl vaccinate.

nchr

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 7:22 pm
What OP described is responsible in regard to public health. She is not intentionally disregarding health department recommendations, sending her children to school without proper vaccinations, etc. I dont think people have an issue with what OP described. OP has not intentionally exposed her children, irresponsible exposed others, etc. I believe in vaccinations, but it is a constitutional right to choose not to vaccinate and IMO what OP described does not sound unreasonable. OP, if the health dept told you your children were exposed would you just give your kids the immunoglobulin so they wouldn't get sick?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 7:52 pm
nchr wrote:
OP, if the health dept told you your children were exposed would you just give your kids the immunoglobulin so they wouldn't get sick?

I might, but the ig is only an option within a certain amount of days from exposure, and that time could expire before I knew about it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 7:56 pm
Thank you to all of those who responded respectfully, the hate was really getting to me.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Apr 22 2019, 8:05 pm
If you live on some remote island and know that you or your kids will never need anything like a doctor, hospital, grocery from the main land. I'd be perfectly fine with your decision.

And you write about current outbreak locations That changes the minute there are enough non vaxers . if your entire family on this remote island gets the measles, then that will be the next outbreak location.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics