Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Please carefull of not say keep finger crossed & emoticons
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:43 pm
greenfire wrote:

that being said I know people who misconstrue the "thumbs up" for a "f you"

Is this a cultural thing?

I remember in an international communication class in college leaning that the okay sign is the same as flipping someone off in South America.

Definitely, you should be aware of local signs and slangs.

But origins... I still maintain that most ppl do not know the origin of most of what they are saying and that because of the rate language evolves it's really no big deal.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 12:51 pm
singleagain wrote:

I remember in an international communication class in college leaning that the okay sign is the same as flipping someone off in South America.

But origins... I still maintain that most ppl do not know the origin of most of what they are saying and that because of the rate language evolves it's really no big deal.

actually I got that from one of my dd's from facebook ... allegedly [so I never like her posts - lol]

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:06 pm
singleagain wrote:

The ok symbol means white supremacy. Ask the Democrats.

(Sarcasm)

creditcards

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:45 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Really? Pete's sake is bad? I thought it was some generic Pete, like "Bob's your uncle."

I guess I'll have to stick with "Oh for the love of puppies!"

Please tell I'm allowed to say "puppies".

I grew up saying for heaven's sake
I didn't know about the phrase Pete's sake

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
I don't have a problem saying to "cross the street" rather than "go to the other side". Some of the PC censorship is just plain nonsense.

I think a lot of what people do is nonsense - but there are a lot of people, and I'm fairly critical - so that's to be expected.

Back to my point however - there are reasonable "bright line tests" for these things. There is no reason to throw our hand up and say "we don't know the origins of anything" so all is good.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Apr 25 2019, 1:58 pm
Squishy wrote:
quote="urban gypsy"] You owe me an apology for your nasty false accusation. Really, if you thought any part of what I wrote came from wikipedia, the correct thing to do would be to do some wikipedia research to varify it before making your false accusation.

Why so offended? Why is it nasty to use Wikipedia? This isn't a history exam! I absolutely did look it up on Wikipedia, which is how I know that is where you cribbed your talking points from. Your extreme overreaction is another clue.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics