Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Please carefull of not say keep finger crossed & emoticons
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:40 pm
As in touch that X for good luck

Amalia

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:44 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
As in touch that X for good luck

I never heard of that, and I don’t see the connection to “knock on wood”..

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:50 pm
You can look it up google Wikipedia all these expressions have origins - best to know
Some say it even predates that and it’s a pagan thing about spirits living in the wood/trees-
Either way...

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:55 pm
You can look it up google Wikipedia all these expressions have origins - best to know

This video shows three theories, one of which references the Spanish Inquisition and saving Jews

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 1:58 pm
Btw... Crossing fingers has a pre-christsan origin in pagan times

http://mentalfloss.com/article.....-luck

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:20 pm
Definitely not a Jewish thing - I dont believe everything on the Internet Wink

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:23 pm
Definitely not a Jewish thing - I dont believe everything on the Internet Wink

Did you even watch the video?

And I find it ironic you say you don't believe stuff on the internet and then tell ppl to look up Wikipedia... Anyone can edit that thing! Wikipedia is not a reliable source of info.

Last edited by singleagain on Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:24 pm
singleagain wrote:
This video shows three theories, one of which references the Spanish Inquisition and saving Jews

Great link! I love that channel.

The thing is, Jews have been scattered across the globe, and have picked up some of the habits of their neighbors. From food, to superstitions, to clothing choices. Many times the lines have become so blurred, that there is just no telling where things begin and end.

Personally, I think that the Israeli tendency to take the plus sign (+) and change it to a capital T is ridiculous. It's a math symbol, for Pete's sake! Don't people have anything better to worry about?

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When they go to church do they use this for asking or for thanking or praising? Thanks everyone for your comforting on my issue with son.

Praying, which can involve thanks. I wouldn't say knock on wood, actually knock on wood or say cross my fingers because these reference the actual cross, but hands together is not only done by individuals praying and practicing a different religion. People also lift their hands up as part of prayer and that is common in Judaism as well. Knocking on wood is only associated with and is rooted in Christianity, but hands together is not (although some people may also do that while praying..).

ggdm

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 7:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Personally, I think that the Israeli tendency to take the plus sign (+) and change it to a capital T is ridiculous. It's a math symbol, for Pete's sake! Don't people have anything better to worry about?

Pete the disciple of Yoshke? Wink

WhatFor

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 7:38 pm
And while we're at it, let's not get started on the origins of schlissel challah.

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 8:23 pm
There are so many everyday phrases that have their origins in the Christian bible that we really can't eliminate them from our speech.

I was brought up never to make an accidental cross. Some people won't get a door with 4 window panes. It could go on and on.

Amalia

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 9:53 pm
nchr wrote:
Praying, which can involve thanks. I wouldn't say knock on wood, actually knock on wood or say cross my fingers because these reference the actual cross, but hands together is not only done by individuals praying and practicing a different religion. People also lift their hands up as part of prayer and that is common in Judaism as well. Knocking on wood is only associated with and is rooted in Christianity, but hands together is not (although some people may also do that while praying..).

Can someone please explain how saying “knock on wood” references the cross?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:17 pm
Amalia wrote:
Can someone please explain how saying “knock on wood” references the cross?

The saying means it's good luck (or will prevent bad luck) to "knock on wood". The wood refers to a wooden cross. You knock on whatever wood is in reach, but the thought behind it is reaching out to the cross (which the wood represents) for good fortune.

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:47 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
The saying means it's good luck (or will prevent bad luck) to "knock on wood". The wood refers to a wooden cross. You knock on whatever wood is in reach, but the thought behind it is reaching out to the cross (which the wood represents) for good fortune.

It's the Germanic tree spirits rather than the cross which is the origin of this phrase.

singleagain

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 10:57 pm
Squishy wrote:
It's the Germanic tree spirits rather than the cross which is the origin of this phrase.

Or is it that during the Inquisition, Jews had secret codes that they knocked on synagogue doors, which were primarily made of wood (see video I posted earlier)

Besides that language is ever changing... Often ppl come up with the same idea many times on different situations.

Laiya

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 11:01 pm
WhatFor wrote:
And while we're at it, let's not get started on the origins of schlissel challah.

?

pause

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:01 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
You’re so sweet don’t be sorry! This was mostly a reminder to everyone here how trusting some women are on here, not directly to you.

And it just irks me how across the board, posters here attack anon posters.
This is the Internet! We’re all anonymous even though our screen names suggest otherwise.

I'm sorry, but part of the Imamother rules is to only use amother to protect your privacy and to explain your use of amother. So, yes, posters do have the right to ask if the amother didn't explain on her own. I quote here from the "New User Guide":
Quote:
Please do not use amother to post things which are not private or personal. If you want to post something anonymously that is not obviously private, please mention briefly your reason for anonymity in order to avoid criticism for over-use of amother.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:48 am
The original cross was a wooden crucifix

imasoftov

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 6:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because I just said other things at other posts. One was about my sick child. So you will obviously know that screen name xyz that just posted about fingers crossed must be the one who just posted about her sick child and financial assistance. I dont want to see

If there was only one user logged in at the time I suppose it would be clear that all the posts within a short period were from the same poster. But how would anyone know who was logged in then?

Well maybe there was one poster logged in an a guest? No, that wouldn't work because a guest can't see who is logged in, even if the logged-in poster's posts were all in forums readable by guests (such as this one).

Well perhaps there are two posters logged in, and one of them was watching the list of logged in users on the home page (all the way at the bottom, if you're logged in)? Well right now there are 51 people logged in. But what if it was just two, couldn't the other one tell an anon post was from you? Not unless they were refreshing the home page continuously, a third user could have logged in, posted something, and logged out without the second user noticing.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics