Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Spinoff measles: lice?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:01 pm
I live in EY and lice is fairly common here among gan ages children. Parents are allowed to send their children to school with lice, and most parents are reasonable enough to alert the Gannenet when their kid has lice and to deal with the issue.

I don't like putting chemicals on my children's head. If lice carried diseases (they don't) then I would want to solve the problem ASAP, but they don't so I'm comfortable combing my children's hair thoroughly when they get infested and it's a two week long process until everyone's heads are clean again.

So I discovered yesterday my children and myself have lice. No problem, except we are going to a hotel with my very American and lice phobic in-laws. My MIL is very upset we aren't using a chemical treatment to deal with the issue and protect her from catching it. Also because now she won't be able to to enjoy her grandchildren as much.

I'm strongly provax, because science and protecting the immunocompromised and science. But I wonder if my refusal to use a chemical lice treatment on my kids puts me on par with antivaxers? Genuine question, not trolling.

I think the real difference is life threatening disease vs lice, but something is still bothering me...

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:05 pm
I'm not a fan of chemicals myself. There are natural treatments besides just brushing. Look into it. It's true that lice aren't life threatening but it is rather annoying and I for one would not appreciate people intentionally exposing my family. Stay home until they're gone.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in EY and lice is fairly common here among gan ages children. Parents are allowed to send their children to school with lice, and most parents are reasonable enough to alert the Gannenet when their kid has lice and to deal with the issue.

I don't like putting chemicals on my children's head. If lice carried diseases (they don't) then I would want to solve the problem ASAP, but they don't so I'm comfortable combing my children's hair thoroughly when they get infested and it's a two week long process until everyone's heads are clean again.

So I discovered yesterday my children and myself have lice. No problem, except we are going to a hotel with my very American and lice phobic in-laws. My MIL is very upset we aren't using a chemical treatment to deal with the issue and protect her from catching it. Also because now she won't be able to to enjoy her grandchildren as much.

I'm strongly provax, because science and protecting the immunocompromised and science. But I wonder if my refusal to use a chemical lice treatment on my kids puts me on par with antivaxers? Genuine question, not trolling.

I think the real difference is life threatening disease vs lice, but something is still bothering me...

You can buy non-chemical lice treatments like Nitty Gritty and others. Maybe a good compromise? I agree lice are not life threatening like measles but they are pretty annoying and uncomfortable. I do think it unfair to knowingly inflict them on others if you can avoid! Hatzlacha.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:07 pm
I think I would do the chemical treatment THIS time. Besides for your mil, I would worry about the other little kids who your kids might end up playing with. It's just not fair to everyone else that they might spread lice to.

I can't imagine that a one-time treatment could really harm anybody.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Totally different scenario. I live in Israel, everyone has lice and yes my kids get it and no I don't use chemicals on them, I just spend the time combing them out, more time consuming but safer. FYI Dr. Fischer lice killer has no chemicals, its made out of all sorts of essential oils and within ten min the lice are DEAD, just used it on my daughter and was super impressed.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:12 pm
I feel for you, OP. My sis in RBS got lice erev Pesach, the kids brought it home. Ugh. Erev pesach who has time? My girls will all go to school in ponies and buns with rosemary oil sprayed hair the first week after Pesach. Lots of girls who go to EY for pesach bring lice from their cousins and share with their BY classes stateside.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:12 pm
It's not life threatening, but it's super annoying. It's uncomfortable and also inconvenient to get rid of (not to mention, if you'll be in contact with any American cousins, they CAN'T send their kids to school with lice, so you'd be putting them in a situation where they'd have to keep their kids at home for several days at least.) If you're not willing to use the products, you should stay home (or stay away from people like your ils who care). Would you be willing to use the products once? I know it's not ideal, but maybe using them this one time as opposed to frequently is an acceptable compromise.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:21 pm
No cousins from America, just two unmarried brothers who are also in EY

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:26 pm
I wouldn't either use chemical treatments for lice but please do be meticulous about eliminating it when spending time with family who don't live locally. You can use non chemical treatments and serious, serious combing to make sure it's gone. Just because it's a fact of life for most Israelis doesn't mean you shouldn't be extra considerate of others for whom it's not. I would be supremely annoyed if my kids picked up lice from their Israeli cousins and their parents knew they were infested at the time and just didn't deal with it thoroughly.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No cousins from America, just two unmarried brothers who are also in EY

So no cousins, but will there be other kids in the hotel who your kids might want to play with?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:31 pm
Most lice these days have become immune to chemical treatments anyway. They are truly "super bugs".

You can spend a small fortune, and have everyone treated by a "lice lady", which involves hours of combing and non chemical treatment.

Another thing you can do is find some neem oil. Most health food stores carry it. Comb it through, starting on the scalp, and leave it on overnight. Rinse under warmish water in the morning, but don't shampoo it out. Then comb as well as you can. Neem is a natural tree extract that kills both lice and nits. It's a great mosquito repellent, too.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:37 pm
Well the reason lice are rampant in EY is because people can send to school with lice!!!
To me lice are a very big deal. In my 30 years of parenting my kids have had lice 3 times (not all just one child each time).
You bet I treated with chemicals the entire family. I also washed all the linens . Followed up by daily combing of the infected child.
Because everyone takes it seriously lice don’t spread.
If I was your mil I’d be furious that you would expose others to lice rather than be considerate and use all tools at your disposal to get rid of them.
I think it’s the consideration for others that is in common with anti vaxers.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:38 pm
I used lavender oil mixed with olive oil. Then rinse off and leave conditioner in over night. My kids have so far never got lice again. There are lots of natural options. Tree tea oil works also. I live in EY also and I think it's incredibly selfish to not treat the hair at all.

nchr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:38 pm
This is more of a cultural situation. In America it is unacceptable to take your children anywhere when they have lice and people will use Nix. Most kids will never get lice more than one or two times tops here and two chemical treatments are not a big deal. Clearly this is not the case in Israel so it is hard for Americans to really advise you since we view lice differently than you do.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:41 pm
Two of my family members are professional lice checkers and removers and they always have an influx of customers after Pesach and after the summer when people come back from Eretz Yisroel.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:52 pm
Comb every day. The teeny tiny ones and nits don’t jump, they stay on the scalp. Use the natural product mentioned above. But really comb well after each daily bath. I find it easier to check when the hair it wet. If you do not see vigorous scratching, they likely don’t havebig bugs, but no guarantees.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 2:59 pm
I'm an American/Israeli. I think that one of the differences, is that in Israel there is a huge cultural pressure for girls to have very long hair. Girls with short hair are teased, called "a boy" by strangers, and often looked at as weirdos by the teachers. It's a huge stigma.

If you have very thick, curly hair that goes past your waist, combing every strand of it would be a full time job. Some parents just give up.

I wish more people would at least use neem shampoo or tea tree oil. It would prevent the lice from wanting to be there in the first place, by creating a hostile environment. A bit of prevention can go a long way.

ora_43

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:07 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Well the reason lice are rampant in EY is because people can send to school with lice!!!

The reason lice are rampant in EY is mostly that it's a totally different climate. Cold weather doesn't kill lice completely, but lice do way better with warm winters and rainy springs. So basically, a climate like we have here.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:10 pm
ora_43 wrote:
The reason lice are rampant in EY is mostly that it's a totally different climate. Cold weather doesn't kill lice completely, but lice do way better with warm winters and rainy springs. So basically, a climate like we have here.

I live in a tropical US climate and lice is not common here.

ora_43

Post Tue, Apr 23 2019, 3:12 pm
There are vague parallels. You're willing to risk infecting other people with something unpleasant in order to avoid chemicals that you're afraid might be harmful.

But on the other hand, lice aren't dangerous. And there are methods of treatment that don't involve chemicals. It's definitely not the same situation.

IMHO, either use the chemical spray just this once, or use a natural anti-lice spray, comb really really well, and tell your MIL that you decided to cave and use a spray just this once (you don't have to mention it was a non-chemical one).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics