Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Anyone watching The Act on Hulu?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:52 am
Need to discuss with someone! Can't believe it's a real story!

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 11:57 am
I am and I’ve been following Gypsy’s story in real time since the murder. Shocking and tragic and unfortunately, its a thing. Gypsy is not the only victim. HBO did a special two years ago that the family gave the ok to. They are apparently seeking to take legal action against Hulu for this special. And family and friends say that much of it was highly dramatized and fictionalized, especially the most recent episode.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Need to discuss with someone! Can't believe it's a real story!

I'm watching it. The mother is an abusive narcissist who destroyed her healthy daughter. I have seen something very similar in real life but cps didnt do anything as the mom was very convincing that the daughter is sick. The poor kid was in a feeding tube despite not having allergies (and being healthy weight but mom refused to let daughter eat normally), not allowed to go to school, getting surgery after surgery, mom wanted the kid in braces despite the fact that she was walking fine (she may have braces by now or even be in a wheelchair but I lost touch with them after they moved to escape scrutiny), etc. Its very sad but very difficult to prove as they run from doctor to doctor until they find someone who is willing to treat the imaginary ailment. Anyone diagnosed with this so called "failure to thrive" condition should be removed from the house so that doctors could determine what the real problem is (the mother who sabotages the kid or something real and unrelated).

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:13 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I'm watching it. The mother is an abusive narcissist who destroyed her healthy daughter. I have seen something very similar in real life but cps didnt do anything as the mom was very convincing that the daughter is sick. The poor kid was in a feeding tube despite not having allergies (and being healthy weight but mom refused to let daughter eat normally), not allowed to go to school, getting surgery after surgery, mom wanted the kid in braces despite the fact that she was walking fine (she may have braces by now or even be in a wheelchair but I lost touch with them after they moved to escape scrutiny), etc. Its very sad but very difficult to prove as they run from doctor to doctor until they find someone who is willing to treat the imaginary ailment. Anyone diagnosed with this so called "failure to thrive" condition should be removed from the house so that doctors could determine what the real problem is (the mother who sabotages the kid or something real and unrelated).

It’s not narcissism. It’s Munchhausen syndrome by proxy, totally different thing.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:18 pm
Yes the entire story is crazy!!! How can it even happen?? I watched the first episode and it was too creepy for me. I'm following the real story though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:18 pm
watergirl wrote:
I am and I’ve been following Gypsy’s story in real time since the murder. Shocking and tragic and unfortunately, its a thing. Gypsy is not the only victim. HBO did a special two years ago that the family gave the ok to. They are apparently seeking to take legal action against Hulu for this special. And family and friends say that much of it was highly dramatized and fictionalized, especially the most recent episode.

Interesting. From what I read on wikipedia, it seemed pretty similar to the real story (with some parts embellished, but a lot seemed like the show)

Didn't know they were upset about the Hulu series.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
It’s not narcissism. It’s Munchhausen syndrome by proxy, totally different thing.

That is the actual term but the underlying condition is narcissism as she couldnt stand being separated from her daughter and couldnt deal with boundaries between her daughter and herself since she saw her daughter as an extension of herself instead of a separate person so that lead to the destructive Munchhausen behavior.
Hulu did say that they dramatized and fictionalized some of it so it is hard to tell if Dee Dee's mother actually abused her (mentally) but that would lead to narcissism and would explain why Dee Dee behaved this way towards her daughter.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:45 pm
I know the story from when it came out, I read up alot on the story.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 12:48 pm
Did you see the Dr. Phil interview? That plus the HBO special makes me wonder if she can honestly re-enter society or if she is just a masterful manipulator. She learned from the best.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 8:43 pm
watergirl wrote:
Did you see the Dr. Phil interview? That plus the HBO special makes me wonder if she can honestly re-enter society or if she is just a masterful manipulator. She learned from the best.

She lived in her mothers fantasy world and has never lived in the real world so not sure if she can even be a masterful manipulator. She definitely needs rehabilitation to learn how to live in the real world, to recognize the difference between right and wrong, to understand that laws have to be followed, etc.
I liken this to people who grow up in insular communities and want to leave, they don't know anything about the real world and have to start their lives all over again learning how to function outside of the insular community they come from (think OTD people but especially those coming from chasidish communities where they are not educated properly and are taught to rely on govt benefits to survive). It can be dangerous as they can turn to drugs and bad people/relationships (which Gypsy did) but with the right care and guidance can do really well.
Gypsy was already in prison for her entire life and shouldn't be held in prison any longer. She should instead get the proper care and education to help her become a functioning human being in society. Too bad the law (and apparently many people who are claiming that she is a manipulator) doesn't recognize what abuse can do to a person.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:33 am
It finally finished. Today is last episode. I have a burning question: how is it that Gypsey doesn't get pregnant?? She and Nick are always "together".
Other than that I found the whole story very entertaining and scary.
At the end it says that she wants to start a family when she gets out of jail.... She needs major help.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 8:53 am
She is now in her 20’s and looks and acts way younger. She is missing some teeth due to the medication she took for her “illness”( one of the many she “had”). She got engaged while she is in prison and hopes to marry him when she gets out of jail. What a story!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, May 01 2019, 12:09 pm
Im watching!! So not my type of show but I am hooked. The boyfriend really creeps me out tho. Such a sad story
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics